US politics: When DeSantis go marching in

IheartIheartTesla

The trend since the midterms is that Trump is leading (often significantly so) in polls vs the Republican field.  Something like Trump 45, Desantis 30, Pence 8, Cruz 8, others ~ 10.  But if it is just a head to head between Trump and DeSantis basically all those non-Trump votes are going to DeSantis, so he shoots into the lead.

The problem for DeSantis is that he certainly won't be in a head to head against Trump at the beginning, which might result in Trump winning the early states, which is never good.

Still a long way to go before voting starts though.

Get it guys. tRump is OVER.  He did what They needed him to do.  They don't need him now.  The heavily armed mobs are in place, Their shock troops are continuing Their job of shooting up schools, concerts, etc., the crazy is every more impregnating Itself, throwing off ever more crazy, voter repression and prevention fully rolling, hatred of women and Others entirely socially acceptable, along with antisemitism (all of which, one who isn't crazy, must classify also as crazy or at least insane).  They own the SCOTUS.  They are well on the way to end democracy and even government as we know it, leaving us entirely to the extraction, plundering and oppression, even just for funsies, to our obscenely wealthy overlords and betters, such as the musk.

Stop even noticing tRump, other than throwing him in prison and in front of a firing squad for treason.

39 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

A festive topic title for festive times.

Anyway, someone can dig up a new poll showing DeSantis gaining on or already beating Trump in early match-ups.

You really can't trust polling in these primaries, especially with Trump involved. And pre primary is even worse. I recall being terrified that Giuliani was going to obviously be the Republican nominee. The polls said so. And he was also spouting all sorts of new fascist rhetoric that he hadn't used in the past. Then came a massive collapse in his polls much like the value of Bitcoin.

Or that brief week when the media was sure Carly Fiorina was going to be the nominee. The Republicans were finally going to get over their woman issues and Trump was so over.

We'll see I guess if De Satan can handle the national limelight. I suspect it'll be Trump yet again barring a heart attack.

DeSantis lacks charisma, has a squeaky voice, and is short (which shouldn't matter, but does). He also has only ever dealt with a subservient, underfunded Florida media; not the national limelight. I suspect the vast majority of Republicans who say they support him have never actually heard him speak; and it's completely unknown if he can handle the pressure of a national campaign. He's also not a great debater. That might not matter in 2023/24, but I think the Trump of 2015/16 would've eaten him alive on stage.

All of which is to say, there's a long way to go before he's actually the favorite; and that includes in the general election. Right now I think he's basically "generic Republican" for many people.

22 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

He's less charismatic than Rubio imo. He's also far more dangerous. Republicans love his vindictiveness. How Christian of them. 

Oh yeah, they love hearing others say what he's saying, but they haven't heard him say it. Which is why I think an energetic, engaged Trump would badly beat him if they were on stage together. I don't know if that Trump exists anymore though, he just sounds tired now.

And I think the disengaged swing voters would like Biden more too.

1 hour ago, Fez said:

DeSantis lacks charisma, has a squeaky voice, and is short (which shouldn't matter, but does). 

Ha! I had to look this up. He’s 5’9”, which is actually the average height of American men. About 14.5% of American men are over 6 feet tall (stats I looked up when I made my comments about Griner), but 58% of Fortune 500 executives are over 6’ tall.

I expect being that short will contribute to him not getting the nomination. Americans love tall men.

Trump lied about his height for years, because even though he’s at least 6’ tall, he’s not tall enough. Justin Trudeau is 6’2” and is obviously taller than Trump, yet Trump was “officially” 6’3” as President.

4 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Ha! I had to look this up. He’s 5’9”, which is actually the average height of American men. About 14.5% of American men are over 6 feet tall (stats I looked up when I made my comments about Griner), but 58% of Fortune 500 executives are over 6’ tall.

I expect being that short will contribute to him not getting the nomination. Americans love tall men.

Trump lied about his height for years, because even though he’s at least 6’ tall, he’s not tall enough. Justin Trudeau is 6’2” and is obviously taller than Trump, yet Trump was “officially” 6’3” as President.

I was 5’ 6” most of my life.  As I’ve aged I’ve actually shrunk.  No public office for me…

2 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

And pre primary is even worse. I recall being terrified that Giuliani was going to obviously be the Republican nominee. The polls said so. And he was also spouting all sorts of new fascist rhetoric that he hadn't used in the past. Then came a massive collapse in his polls much like the value of Bitcoin.

Or that brief week when the media was sure Carly Fiorina was going to be the nominee. The Republicans were finally going to get over their woman issues and Trump was so over.

My favorite was the 2012 primary when everyone knew it'd eventually be Romney but the GOP primary electorate tried out virtually every other candidate beforehand.  First it was Bachmann, then Rick Perry entered the race supposedly as the savior and almost immediately fell flat on his face, then - my favorite - Herman Cain, then Gingrich and Santorum.  Oh, and of course Ron Paul was there the entire time.  

Anyway, yeah, as I said a month ago this continues to look like a 2016 redux.  That's not necessarily due to Trump winning the early states - remember he lost Iowa and SC was very competitive - but because of how delegates are allocated.  As long as most states have some form of a winner-take-all format, Trump will have a significant advantage unless the field is cleared to a head-to-head matchup.

Of course, we'll see if he makes it that far.  While he's still the clear favorite, I imagine Trump expected this primary to be a cakewalk.  As it becomes more and more clear it won't be - and quite possibly may be more protracted than 2016 - he may bow out.  It's still really, really early.

1 hour ago, Fez said:

Oh yeah, they love hearing others say what he's saying, but they haven't heard him say it. Which is why I think an energetic, engaged Trump would badly beat him if they were on stage together. I don't know if that Trump exists anymore though, he just sounds tired now.

And I think the disengaged swing voters would like Biden more too.

More like soup for brains three years ago is now ashes. 

41 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I was 5’ 6” most of my life.  As I’ve aged I’ve actually shrunk.  No public office for me…

Don't sweat it. I loved being a shade under 5'8 and breaking much bigger guys while playing both running back and safety, and how after I'd hit them a few times they wanted nothing to do with me because never in their life could they dream of squatting 500lbs or running a sub 4.5 40. Often times if felt like I was taking their souls as I'd completely fuck them up.

But now I have a broken foot and little old ladies pass me by as I'm leaving pt, so ya know, life happens.

18 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

But now I have a broken foot and little old ladies pass me by as I'm leaving pt, so ya know, life happens.

You could beat me in a foot race!!

How is the foot doing by the way?  Do you think PT is helping?  Still in the BBB? 

Hope all is feeling better. 

Now that I made those comments about Trump and his height obsession, the question crosses my mind: is DeSantis really 5’9” or is he lying about his height the way Trump does? Is he really 5’8”?

All you guys who post on other sites should start using the phrase “He’s too short to be president!” In fact, his potential rivals for the nomination should start a whisper campaign using that line, lol!

15 minutes ago, LongRider said:

You could beat me in a foot race!!

How is the foot doing by the way?  Do you think PT is helping?  Still in the BBB? 

Hope all is feeling better. 

One week free of that evil thing. Now just in a more basic brace. I was able to bike for 10 minutes yesterday without pain and since I have a stationary at home I can now use that a few times a day on top of the other stuff I have to do.

My goal of running a half marathon in 2023 is dead, but maybe I can run a 5k in the spring! 

7 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Now that I made those comments about Trump and his height obsession, the question crosses my mind: is DeSantis really 5’9” or is he lying about his height the way Trump does? Is he really 5’8”?

All you guys who post on other sites should start using the phrase “He’s too short to be president!” In fact, his potential rivals for the nomination should start a whisper campaign using that line, lol!

I don't know that any of that would ultimately matter if he had presence, and was relatable.

What happened to Gillum after [Gillum embarrassed DeSantis many times on stage] was a god damn tragedy. Wasn't it Stone's lapdog Engels that put that photo out?  Total hit job, which goes to how vindictive DeSantis and his backers are. This man's reins should be restricted as much as possible to what he's got. 

Is there not any more rational or traditional types that could make it happen? There's no way the GOP primary spits out a surprise?  

15 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

One week free of that evil thing. Now just in a more basic brace. I was able to bike for 10 minutes yesterday without pain and since I have a stationary at home I can now use that a few times a day on top of the other stuff I have to do.

My goal of running a half marathon in 2023 is dead, but maybe I can run a 5k in the spring! 

Sounds like alot of progress!  Glad you gave the BBB the boot.    :cheers:

13 minutes ago, JGP said:

I don't know that any of that would ultimately matter if he had presence, and was relatable.

What happened to Gillum after [Gillum embarrassed DeSantis many times on stage] was a god damn tragedy. Wasn't it Stone's lapdog Engels that put that photo out?  Total hit job, which goes to how vindictive DeSantis and his backers are. This man's reins should be restricted as much as possible to what he's got. 

Is there not any more rational or traditional types that could make it happen? There's no way the GOP primary spits out a surprise?  

Okay, I’m being a tad facetious, but if it helps to, excuse me, belittle DeSantis in the public eye, hey, call him not tall enough!

eta: I had to look up Gillum to remind myself of what happened, I don’t remember what the photo was, but kicking someone who’s down is a common political move. Prevents them from getting back up. But the fraud indictments are federal, or did Trump people do that? And how’s that progressing?

Archived