US politics: When DeSantis go marching in

IheartIheartTesla

27 minutes ago, DMC said:

I can't wait til Ty has a kid so he can sit them down and tell them, "in the interest of trust I need to be honest with you - you were a mistake."

Lol, my dad told me I was born so he could get his trust fund. 

Also, there's a decent chance I do have a kid, but the mom has told me before never to go down that road. So the guy she's now divorcing is on the hook for that.

So with amendments currently being voted down, it's now safe to say the omnibus will pass after Mike Lee very nearly torpedoed it last night with a Title 42 amendment (should be noted Sinema helped provide the solution to that problem by offering a competing amendment border-state/moderate Dems could vote for instead). 

I think this lame duck matches up pretty well with 2010, commonly considered the most productive lame duck ever.  Highlights there included Don't Ask, Don't Tell repeal, the 9/11 First Responders bill, the FDA Food Safety bill, and the Senate ratifying the New START treaty.  This was all under the larger compromise of Obama extending the Bush tax cuts in exchange for extending unemployment insurance.  

Compare that to this session with the SSM bill, ECA reform, Ukraine aid, a big boost in disaster relief, and a huge boost in veteran health care funding.  Granted, all but the first were tucked into the omnibus, but that's also a striking difference - the 2022 lame duck actually passed a budget whereas in 2010 only a CR was passed that extended (instead of updating) spending only until March.  Moreover, the compromise here was much easier to swallow - advancing a huge boost in defense spending as opposed to extending the Bush tax cuts.

There were some things Schumer failed on - most notably the antitrust bills I mentioned previously.  Other misses include the Afghan Refugee Act, the Open Courts Act, and crack/cocaine sentencing reform (albeit that deal got blown up because Garland just did it himself).  But a lot of the bigger misses - reviving the enhanced Child Tax Credit, the SAFE Act, immigration/farmworker visa reform - were never gonna happen. 

Also, the Pregnant Workers Fairness Act appeared to be a realistic one they failed to get in the omnibus, but the last two Senate votes were on amendments (Cassidy's then Merkley's) that passed overwhelmingly and appear to address this, at least in some fashion.  Can't find any details on em just yet but that seems promising.

All in all, an impressive end to easily one of the most productive Congresses of this century.

5 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

@Zorral, this one's is for you: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/22/opinion/george-santos-oppo-research-dccc.html

FWIW, I'm sympathetic to the oppo researcher because serial fabulism is one of those things that the mind doesn't encompass until you have enough data points.  And the mystery of Santos' unexplained wealth which allowed him to self-fund is still unexplained. 

So, I know New York has a long history of shitty electoral processes (and Zorral mentioned some here yday I believe), but how is it possible we don't know who carried the District for Governor yet?

I read that, and found it unsatisfactory.  Have suspicions it was submitted as a 'corrective' to the voters' beliefs that the NY Dem are not doing the job.  :dunno:

You guys obviously don’t have enough Ukrainians in the US. Canada imported them by the tens of thousands more than a hundred years ago to fill up the west to make sure, probably, pro-American cowboys wouldn’t try to break off and join the US.

There was a story about Putin dismissing all actions taken by Canada against Putin’s regime over the past few years because “Canada has too many Ukrainians, and politicians don’t want to lose votes”.

4 hours ago, DMC said:

I can't wait til Ty has a kid so he can sit them down and tell them, "in the interest of trust I need to be honest with you - you were a mistake."

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Lol, my dad told me I was born so he could get his trust fund. 

Also, there's a decent chance I do have a kid, but the mom has told me before never to go down that road. So the guy she's now divorcing is on the hook for that.

This whole exchange reminds of that Chappelle bit he did, like right after Trump was elected, where he's comparing the way Donald Trump (as president) talks about national security to a broke-ass parent telling their child

"Listen, little man, I don't know what I'm gonna do I can't pick up any more hours and these lights ain't free... now get on down to the bus stop and have a good day at school"

:lmao:

10 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Anyways, his pitch after I first turned him down was that it's a city of old people and everyone's grandchildren are in town. You might meet your own Jewish American Princess there. So I went and mumbled prayers I half remembered.

Did you walk into something like this?

6 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Also, there's a decent chance I do have a kid, but the mom has told me before never to go down that road. So the guy she's now divorcing is on the hook for that

So sky-daddy honesty to children is imperative, while earth-daddy honesty is…more nuanced?

8 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I hate to beat a dead horse here, but it again comes down to religion, one that is completely distorted. Putin's Russia is a white Christian ethnostate and that's what the Boeberts of the world dream of for the US. Having a foreign Jew come and lecture them on why Putin is an evil piece of shit is not a message they want to hear.

Well that's what Boebert thinks Russia is. Putin's vision for Russia is explicitly multicultural, he lets his buddies implement shariah law in their fiefdoms, it's less religious then the US depending on how you measure things and holocaust denial is a criminal offense. 

13 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

‘didn’t want to be part of a photo op’

Hawley didn't want his photo taken because President Putin might spot him in the crowd of admirerers of his enemy President Zelensky.  

3 minutes ago, LongRider said:

Hawley didn't want his photo taken because President Putin might spot him in the crowd of admirerers of his enemy President Zelensky.  

I mean that's the truth though. C'mon. We all know it. Lols and shit aside, someone told fukboi Josh he better not be seen with Zelensky or else Sir will be mad. 

Josh doesn't want to make Sir mad.

I wouldn't either, if I were into what fukboi Josh is into. I can't say it here, now, because I'm making this libel up as I go but I hear it's some daaaaaark shit man. Tell everybody you know! 

More Dem sandbagging/idiocy in NY.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2022/12/kathy-hochul-hector-lasalle-new-york-judicial-nomination.html

When Chief Judge Janet DiFiore abruptly resigned from New York’s highest court in July, Democratic Gov. Kathy Hochul got the opportunity to reshape the bench, and to finally end the reign of the conservative majority. Hochul declared that she would seek a nominee who would transform the court into a progressive counterweight to the far-right U.S. Supreme Court.

On Thursday, however, she did the exact opposite, selecting Judge Hector LaSalle to serve as New York’s top judge. LaSalle is a former prosecutor with a conservative record against abortion, unions, and criminal defendants. If confirmed by the state Senate, he would entrench a reactionary majority that would fight tooth and nail against the priorities of New York progressives.

Right now, the state’s highest court—which is called the New York Court of Appeals—is sharply divided. DiFiore, the former chief judge, led a bloc of four conservatives that gained notoriety after invalidating Democrats’ congressional map and replacing it with a map favorable to Republicans. (This decision helped Republicans clinch their narrow majority in the House of Representatives.) When DiFiore stepped down due to an ethics scandal, she left the court split between three conservatives, two liberals, and one moderate. So the new chief judge could have either restored the court’s right-wing majority, sat at its ideological center, or led its left flank.

The Commission on Judicial Nomination gave Hochul seven options across the ideological spectrum, including several liberals. Yet she picked LaSalle, touting the fact that he’d be the first Latino chief judge while ignoring his alarming record. If confirmed, he is all but guaranteed to shore up the right-wing majority. His record as an intermediate appeals court judge demonstrates a deep hostility to the very values that Hochul claimed she wanted to uphold with this appointment. To give just a few examples:

Archived