US politics: When DeSantis go marching in

IheartIheartTesla

We are experiencing the winter storm for the ages, They Say, and which They predicted for days ahead of time.  So where is the mayor?  Nobody knows.  He left yesterday for a 'little' vacation, and will come back in two days.  Really bad flooding presently, not to mention the ever increasing wind, though we seem, here, in my local spot, to be getting off very lightly for rain and other precipitation.  But serious flooding all around, and not very far away from my local spot.  Rockaway, parts of Queens, Coney Island, Lower Manhattan on the west side -- right there by the Hudson, ya, that's flooding, assisted by the tide.

The temperature dropped from 47° at 1:45 to 24° by 2:50. Down to 11 tonight.  So of course adams went on a vacay and won't tell us where.  feh.

9 minutes ago, Zorral said:

And now this arctic cold is rolling along the Gulf; Florida is opening warming shelters.  So @DMC, here's hoping you and your family will be able to stay warm and safe.

Lol, thanks.  Yeah I had to dig up my winter jacket, which I did not expect doing when I moved back here.

He doesn't seem to be particularly keen for the job...but he might not be a MAGA nitwit either. If his name somehow gets tossed in the ring, is this character somebody the D House Caucus would be able to vote for/accept in the majority role?

Tom Cole eyed as potential House Speaker (msn.com)

With the Republican Party in turmoil over who will become the next House Speaker, Indigenous Congressman Tom Cole of Oklahoma is being eyed as a possible compromise candidate.

It is the second time that Cole, Chickasaw, has been considered a contender for the speaker’s position. He was also questioned in 2015 about the speakership but stated at the time he had no interest in the position.

Now Cole, the longest-serving Indigenous member of Congress, is set to begin his 20th year in the U.S. House in January after easily winning re-election to Oklahoma’s 4th Congressional District.

He could not be reached for comment by ICT about the latest speakership, but his name surfaces repeatedly in speculation about who might lead the GOP if Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy cannot drum up the necessary votes to advance.

“Tom Cole has checked all the boxes,” said Mike Stopp, a Republican political consultant. “He has been the chairman of the National Republican Congressional Committee, which is the political arm of the House members. He knows how to raise money and he knows how to get Republicans elected.

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

And now this arctic cold is rolling along the Gulf; Florida is opening warming shelters.  So @DMC, here's hoping you and your family will be able to stay warm and safe.

Yeah, it got use here in the Seattle area, too. I just almost broke my leg on an icy stoop and almost got into a car accident trying to leave and get pizza. I live at the top between 2 hills and I later learned the city closed them anyway.

53 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

He doesn't seem to be particularly keen for the job...but he might not be a MAGA nitwit either. If his name somehow gets tossed in the ring, is this character somebody the D House Caucus would be able to vote for/accept in the majority role?

The Never Kevins keep on insisting they have a palatable alternative in mind but don't want to name him yet.  Everybody assumes it's Scalise but it may well be Cole as he could unite all the factions in the conference. 

No point for the Dems to vote for him though, no.  He's not any better than McCarthy. 

50 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

I just almost broke my leg on an icy stoop and almost got into a car accident trying to leave and get pizza. I live at the top between 2 hills and I later learned the city closed them anyway.

Glad you did NOT break your leg, and that you AVOIDED a car accident. :cheers:

Is it too soon for the obligatory hell froze over and DeSantis is as of now not offering free sleigh rides? (154)

Anyway...

6 hours ago, DMC said:

No point for the Dems to vote for him though, no.  He's not any better than McCarthy. 

Well, a rather petty point would be to deny the Alpha Kevin (let some German speaker explain that one) his dream of becoming speaker. Just a basic petty Fuck you, Kevin.

21 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

So this happened...

Context for foreigners, Broward is the less crazy part of South Florida. Enjoy yourself and go down an internet rabbit hole with Because Miami and Only in Dade. Or just read the cases at Miami-Dade county courthouse.

21 hours ago, DMC said:

I mean, yes, House progressives demanding - and getting - a vote on the sick days was certainly part of the coverage.  See here:

Should be noted one member of the squad - Tlaib - was one of the eight Dems that voted against the original measure.  Also, Sanders too demanded a vote in the Senate on the seven sick days.  Which he got and it failed due to Republican opposition:

I see--this makes sense in terms of their broader strat--thank you! But when you look at the majority of headlines from not only Fox News, but rather centrist news, they said things like, "After telling them to be strong, AOC betrays rail workers!" Or, if not that, they led with "AOC-led progressives vote against strike." It seems very disingenuous, and almost as if the media has learned nothing over the last 7 years.

21 hours ago, Larry of the Lake said:

The 7 days leave was doomed to fail by separating it.  If Dems wanted a fight in the Senate they shouldn't have separated it. 

I'm not sure what it gains. I think Bernie is top-notch, but I think it's a stretch that people will look at the vote against sick days alone and change their mind about Republicans. I might be wrong. Maybe Bernie is playing the long game (in terms of the presidential election), and he is trying to mobilize workers like these?

31 minutes ago, Centrist Simon Steele said:

rather centrist news, they said things like, "After telling them to be strong, AOC betrays rail workers!" Or, if not that, they led with "AOC-led progressives vote against strike." It seems very disingenuous, and almost as if the media has learned nothing over the last 7 years.

While I'm not doubting this, the vast majority of coverage I read focused their criticism - rightly - on Biden.  :dunno:

2 hours ago, Centrist Simon Steele said:

almost as if the media has learned nothing over the last 7 years.

The shameful, enablingt blob media never learns anything anytime, not just in the last 7 years.

4 hours ago, Centrist Simon Steele said:

I'm not sure what it gains. I think Bernie is top-notch, but I think it's a stretch that people will look at the vote against sick days alone and change their mind about Republicans. I might be wrong. Maybe Bernie is playing the long game (in terms of the presidential election), and he is trying to mobilize workers like these?

Probably doesn't gain anything on this issue. But you know what? Sanders does have a good reason to believe in tactics like this. He caused Amazon to raise wages and without passing legislation, by drawing attention to the issue. 

Archived