Twitterly dee dee dum dum ...

Zorral

Remarkable, and not at all surprising. Engineer gives explanation for why Musk isn't as popular, gets fired for it.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2023/02/musk-fired-top-engineer-for-explaining-why-his-tweets-views-are-down/

The meeting took place on Tuesday, according to the tech newsletter Platformer. Bringing together engineers and advisers, Musk asked his team why his account, which has “more than 100 million followers,” would only be getting “tens of thousands of impressions.”

This is ridiculous,” Musk said, according to multiple sources.

A principal engineer stepped forward to explain that the decline may be due to easily chartable waning public interest in Musk. To back up the engineer, Twitter employees provided internal data that corresponded with a Google Trends chart, Platformer reported.

They also shared the results of an investigation into Twitter’s algorithm, which found “no bias” against the CEO. None of this seemed to satisfy Musk, whose immediate response was to remove the employee who suggested that since Musk’s move to purchase Twitter last April, people have been increasingly uninterested in following all of Musk’s moves online.

“You’re fired,” Musk told the engineer, whom Platformer did not name due to concerns that the engineer could face online harassment.

8 hours ago, Kalnestk Oblast said:

Remarkable, and not at all surprising. Engineer gives explanation for why Musk isn't as popular, gets fired for it.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2023/02/musk-fired-top-engineer-for-explaining-why-his-tweets-views-are-down/

I have it on pretty good authority that a number of Tesla engineers went into meetings with Elon and came out unemployed. This is how he works.

If I was that guy, I'd hire a lawyer. 

3 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I have it on pretty good authority that a number of Tesla engineers went into meetings with Elon and came out unemployed. This is how he works.

If I was that guy, I'd hire a lawyer. 

Years ago we lost a young engineer to Tesla. A couple of weeks ago I managed to recruit him back. If my uncool company is the better alternative, then there must be something wrong with Tesla. 

5 hours ago, kiko said:

Years ago we lost a young engineer to Tesla. A couple of weeks ago I managed to recruit him back. If my uncool company is the better alternative, then there must be something wrong with Tesla. 

From what I have heard it has always been like that with Musk's companies. They prey on the idealism of young people and exploit them mercilessly. After a few years they are burnt out and leave. Of course, this doesn't work for Twitter, as there is no "good cause" young people want to work for.

5 hours ago, Loge said:

From what I have heard it has always been like that with Musk's companies. They prey on the idealism of young people and exploit them mercilessly. After a few years they are burnt out and leave. Of course, this doesn't work for Twitter, as there is no "good cause" young people want to work for.

Not to mention that, when he came in, he basically announced that he was going to work employees twice as hard for no additional pay or benefits. Work-Life balance? Fuck that. 

Any Twitter employee worth a damn was preparing their resume the moment they heard that. Not a good way to attract talent. 

A large chunk of the employees left at Twitter, at least in the US, are migrants whose immigrant status is contingent on them having that job. They're very much stuck in that situation and don't deserve the situation they've wound up in. True believers in Musk don't get much sympathy from me, but these guys do.

One of Tesla’s biggest critics is funding a Super Bowl ad against it
Tech entrepreneur Dan O’Dowd has dedicated his fortune to getting Tesla’s Full Self-Driving technology banned from public roads

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2023/02/11/tesla-super-bowl-ad/

Just like the fabricated bios of reichlican clowns, Santos and Luna, etc.,  this is what you get from the jerkwaddie reichlican insane, who claim there is no point to recognizing fact-based reality.

SAN FRANCISCO — Electric carmaker Tesla is facing multiple challenges and distractions right now. This Super Bowl Sunday it will get another one, shown to audiences across the country.

California tech entrepreneur Dan O’Dowd, who has already poured millions of his own money into a campaign to get Tesla’s Full Self-Driving tech banned from public roads, is funding a Super Bowl commercial that will play in D.C. and a handful of state capitals, including Austin, Tallahassee, Albany, Atlanta and Sacramento.

Tech is not your friend. We are. Sign up for The Tech Friend newsletter.
The ad shows a Tesla Model 3 that O’Dowd says has Full Self-Driving turned on running into a child-sized mannequin, crossing over the centerline into oncoming traffic, driving past “do not enter” signs, passing a school bus with its flashing stop lights on and hitting a stroller in the road.

Tesla has released the latest version of its Full Self-Driving tech — which allows the car to maneuver city and residential streets without human input — to around 400,000 people in North America, quadrupling the number of people using it during much of 2022. That has renewed questions about the tech’s safety. Government investigators are looking into whether Tesla’s driver-assistance features caused crashes. And in January, a report emerged that a former Tesla engineer had testified that a 2016 demo of in which the company claimed one of its cars was driving itself was actually staged. ....

All of Them the same the much of a muchness jigsaw nithling of crazy.

On 2/11/2023 at 12:47 AM, kiko said:

On 2/11/2023 at 5:58 AM, Loge said:

OTOH, having Tesla on your CV is pretty impressive. If you can get in and out in a few years without being bitter or burned out; probably a net positive. 

The piece makes Musk the chassis for the final section.

Letter from Texas February 13 & 20, 2023 Issue
The Astonishing Transformation of Austin
My town, once celebrated for its laid-back weirdness, is now a turbocharged tech megalopolis being shaped by exiles from places like Silicon Valley.
By Lawrence Wright February 6, 2023

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2023/02/13/the-astonishing-transformation-of-austin

.... Elon Musk has made Austin the centerpiece of his new Texas empire. In addition to the Gigafactory Texas—said to be the second-largest building in the world by volume, after the Boeing Everett Factory, in Washington State—Musk’s other businesses in and around Austin include the tunnel-drilling Boring Company; Neuralink, which is working on a computer-brain interface; and SpaceX, which is seeking to colonize Mars. These are huge additions to the Austin-area economy.

I had been worried about the weirdness-eradicating influence of wealth and technology on Austin, but as I learned more about Musk’s presence in the city I realized that weirdness has actually taken a giant step forward. Musk has nine living children (one died in infancy), and a real-estate agent told me that he has been relocating them to Austin. (When Musk was e-mailed about this, and about living with a friend in town, he replied with two crying-laughing emojis.) In 2018, Musk and the Canadian songwriter Grimes, whose music was described in this magazine, by my colleague Kelefa Sanneh, as “irreducibly weird but insistently pop,” began dating. They had a boy, X Æ A-12, and a daughter, Exa Dark Sideræl. Shortly after their daughter was born, Grimes tweeted that she and Musk had broken up. She then reportedly became entangled with another new Austinite, Chelsea Manning, the whistle-blower and trans activist freshly free from serving seven years in military prison. The relationship is said to have ended within months. Grimes pleaded with her “fellow Texans” to sign a petition to ease building regulations in order to keep Austin from becoming another San Francisco. She tweeted, “I couldn’t afford to buy a house that fits my kids in Austin (at the moment) without help from their dad which is insane.”

On Thanksgiving weekend last year, I rode out to the Circuit of the Americas, Austin’s decade-old Formula 1 track, to meet two crypto bros who’d come up with a genius idea to call attention to their enterprise. They commissioned a gigantic statue of Musk’s head, attached to the body of a goat (for “greatest of all time”) that was clinging to a rocket that could actually shoot flames. The statue had cost six hundred thousand dollars to make. The bros loaded their gleaming metallic art work on a flatbed trailer, like a parade float, and drove it to Austin, hoping to present it as a tribute to Musk—and to be rewarded with his embrace. It was a “kamikaze mission,” Ashley Sansalone, one of the brains behind the project, told me. He described Musk as “the most relevant person in the world.”

It was an overcast fall day. I could hear the whine of race cars shifting gears. I estimated that about sixty folks were sitting around, eating hot dogs at picnic tables, as they waited for the organizers to decide when a proper posse had assembled. A woman was filming the event for her YouTube channel. Just as the light started to fade, the trailer with the giant statue moved toward the edge of the parking lot and people in the crowd clambered into their cars. Two yellow buses squeezed in behind the trailer. I spotted only one Tesla in the motorcade, which was mostly F-150s and Mustangs. After a few false starts, the procession headed onto Route 130 for the nine-mile trip to the Gigafactory. There was, of course, no chance that Musk was awaiting them. He was busy dismantling Twitter.

The metal Musk head crowned what looked like some Egyptian sarcophagus. We rode past former farmland that now lay uncultivated as its owners waited for the developers to appear, with their giant machines, to build more tract houses, followed by strip malls, schools, and fast-food restaurants. In this pregnant interim, the wintry yellow grassland looked naked. A cloud of starlings swirled like a black tornado and settled into the scrub. Many of the cars ahead and behind had their emergency lights flashing. I imagined that drivers coming the other way would wonder if we were part of a funeral cortège for some beloved member of the community.

In the distance was the Austin skyline, vast and cold and depressingly homogenous in the silvered light. I have seen it when the sun hits it just right and the mirrored surfaces catch fire—it’s beautiful then, but not the city I had imagined it would become. I once knew the place so well, but every day it grows more unknowable and unlimited, and I feel more like a resident than like a citizen. But it remains a part of my psyche. It’s home.

We turned onto Tesla Road, which was lined with newly planted trees and mounds of leftover rubble. One day, Musk has promised, he will turn the twenty-one-hundred-acre plot into an “ecological paradise.” We passed signs warning, “must have tesla id card.” Then we beheld the Gigafactory—sleek, flat-topped, endless, signalling Austin’s future as a megacity. We came to the gate, where guards had very efficiently established a barricade. One by one, we turned back toward the highway, where we each went our separate ways. ♦

Big fucking lol. This is the kind of shit we'd do to get demos in college ready.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2023/02/report-musk-had-twitter-engineers-boost-his-tweets-after-biden-got-more-views/

To boost Musk's tweet views after the Super Bowl, Twitter engineers "deployed code to automatically 'greenlight' all of Musk's tweets, meaning his tweets will bypass Twitter's filters designed to show people the best content possible. The algorithm now artificially boosted Musk's tweets by a factor of 1,000—a constant score that ensured his tweets rank higher than anyone else's in the feed," Platformer wrote.

27 minutes ago, Kalnestk Oblast said:

The algorithm now artificially boosted Musk's tweets by a factor of 1,000—a constant score that ensured his tweets rank higher than anyone else's in the feed," Platformer wrote.

This story is everywhere -- at least the everywhere where I go.  Ha! :rofl:

Every day these emperors are shown to be goose stepping around demanding salutes while unclothed.

5 minutes ago, VigoTheCarpathian said:

They really need to change “free” speech to “44 billion dollar” speech, for how bad this guy wanted to own the comment section.

He paid that fee, plus significantly more of his net wealth, to feel like he was invited to the cool kids' table and they said, "fuck off loser." So time to kick it with the wealthy creeps! 

On 2/15/2023 at 5:59 PM, Kalnestk Oblast said:

Big fucking lol. This is the kind of shit we'd do to get demos in college ready.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2023/02/report-musk-had-twitter-engineers-boost-his-tweets-after-biden-got-more-views/

This puts me in mind of footage showing Vladimir Putin playing hockey, blowing by and scoring against people who were obviously letting the big man have his way.

I know power corrupts, but it also apparently makes you an insecure little brat.

On 2/11/2023 at 7:20 PM, karaddin said:

A large chunk of the employees left at Twitter, at least in the US, are migrants whose immigrant status is contingent on them having that job. They're very much stuck in that situation and don't deserve the situation they've wound up in. True believers in Musk don't get much sympathy from me, but these guys do.

I agree that these peoples' fates are unfortunate and almost certainly unjust: Hi, America

But it is so far past time for America to reform its immigration system that... I struggle to put this delicately... 

YO IT'S FUCKING FASCIST 

Like, the corporations get to make and break and bake the fucking rules. The corporations get to give valuable people special status' that are not available to the rest of us. 

Yo, that's obviously not me being anti-immigration. I'm PRO immigration and PRO immigration reform precisely because Twitter and Facebook and Google and all these Techno shits have just purchased self-governing powers and left normal people to whither on the vine. Not enough to whither, they keep fine-tuning their programming machines to siphon more and more of the pittance left to those didn't get to skydive into silicon valley to get into this country. Or get to be born there. And because they literally control the information we are allowed to see they are cast as heroes for this unimaginable cruelty. 

If a random dude from Ecuador has his job he came 3,000 miles to fucking slave at taken away he isn't politely asked to leave and given help getting home. And it ain't a six-figure (or fucking MORE) salary he's losin. 

I've said before that Elon is not my ally. But goddamn if my enemies didn't need some better (equipped) enemies. 

Archived