Twitterly dee dee dum dum ...

Zorral

21 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

So was that guy still getting paid for doing zero work or what? 

I think he was working up until he suddenly had no Twitter access, like a couple hundred others. He suspected he’d been fired but the remnants of Twitter HR couldnt confirm, hence why he asked Musk publicly onTwitter

12 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

I think he was working up until he suddenly had no Twitter access, like a couple hundred others. He suspected he’d been fired but the remnants of Twitter HR couldnt confirm, hence why he asked Musk publicly onTwitter

Well from what Musk was saying he hadn’t done any work for months even when he had access. So I’m wondering if he was getting paid for doing nothing 

14 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Well from what Musk was saying he hadn’t done any work for months even when he had access. So I’m wondering if he was getting paid for doing nothing 

Musk is an unreliable narrator. 

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

And are you wondering whether the cave rescue guy actually was a paedophile as well?

From what that guy is saying it looks like Twitter bought his company and realised they had no use for him or it. He doesn’t even deny he wasn’t really doing any work. He said he did what he managed told him, which doesn’t sound like a lot. 

So that is your justification for why he was fired without being told he was fired, and then had Musk (who had clearly never heard of him until then) quiz him about what he did online, then start getting at him about his disability, and finally set trolls on him?

As for "not doing any work since they brought his company" - your only source for that is Musk saying that because he was disabled then he can't have been doing any work!

57 minutes ago, Larry of the Lake said:

Imagine giving the benefit of the doubt to a repeatedly confirmed liar who has constantly shirked legal repsonsibilities to his employees in a situation like this.  The blind faith is inspiring.

Genuine sociopathy or vice-signaling if one is being charitable.

In most jurisdictions if an employee is not given work to do by their employer*, they're contractually entitled to be paid nonetheless. That's how employment works. The employer can make the employee redundant, of course, but to do so publicly on Twitter, while mocking and belittling them, is going to get you sued. I'm sure Musk's lawyers were once again heading to the booze cabinet when they saw his tweets: another lawsuit he will lose or settle out of court.

*it's not clear the extent to which this is the case here. Recently the man seems not to have been given access to the tools needed to do his work, while his employment status was unclear. Before that he seems to have had work to do, but Musk for whatever reason doesn't seem to value that work. That's not a justification for firing someone: if the contract says that's your job, that's your job, even if your boss would rather you were doing something else.

20 minutes ago, mormont said:

In most jurisdictions if an employee is not given work to do by their employer*, they're contractually entitled to be paid nonetheless. That's how employment works. The employer can make the employee redundant, of course, but to do so publicly on Twitter, while mocking and belittling them, is going to get you sued. I'm sure Musk's lawyers were once again heading to the booze cabinet when they saw his tweets: another lawsuit he will lose or settle out of court.

*it's not clear the extent to which this is the case here. Recently the man seems not to have been given access to the tools needed to do his work, while his employment status was unclear. Before that he seems to have had work to do, but Musk for whatever reason doesn't seem to value that work. That's not a justification for firing someone: if the contract says that's your job, that's your job, even if your boss would rather you were doing something else.

Yep. Unless he was failing to do any work assigned to him (which had been addressed through the disciplinary process), Musk will struggle to justify this in court. I believe the man in question is European.

It is an interesting scenario I suppose. You work remotely from a different country. You check in one weekend only to discover you have lost all access to the company systems. You then find yourself unable to contact anyone. Who do you try to get in touch with, by what means, in what order, and on what timescale? I imagine it would take a while before, everything else failing, you fall back on attempting to tweet the famously irascible CEO and owner!

Edit: of course in any normal large company, there would be well defined contacts you could get hold of. But it does not surprise me that apparently Twitter no longer has them.

3 hours ago, Larry of the Lake said:

Imagine giving the benefit of the doubt to a repeatedly confirmed liar who has constantly shirked legal repsonsibilities to his employees in a situation like this.  The blind faith is inspiring.

You obviously haven't been paying attention to the UK politics thread.

Anyway....

Ars Technica does a deep dive into the drama around Thorliefsson. As stated before, the notion of actually believing what Musk says is increasingly not based in actual reality and continues to be a losing proposition.

Beyond becoming a recognizable talent to top tech industry heads, Thorleifsson also advocated on behalf of people with disabilities. In Iceland, Thorleifsson was named person of the year by several media outlets in 2022, BBC reported. He was recognized for his work campaigning to expand wheelchair access and his decision not to receive his Twitter payout as a lump sum but as wages that could be taxed to support Iceland’s social services.

This stellar reputation as a dedicated worker began haunting Musk, who began backpedaling on his criticism of Thorleifsson after Daniel Houghton—the former CEO of Lonely Planet, who worked directly with Thorleifsson on online content and e-commerce platforms—told Musk, “this is super disappointing to see.”

“Not only is his work ethic next level, his talent and humility are world class,” Houghton told Musk. “Exactly the kind of person you want on your team when the odds are stacked. I feel certain there’s a deep misunderstanding somewhere in here of ‘did no actual work.’”

A far better question is why on earth he would want to remain at Twitter for any reason. 

Holy shit. HOLY SHIT. 

I haven't been following this very closely but Vaush has a pretty good breakdown. Some thoughts:

Anyone worth a shit is going to be giving Twitter a very, very wide berth when it comes to a job search. Who the hell would want to work for this man when you could, you know, work for not-an-asshole?

Emerald mine! Zing!

Elon decides to flex on one of his employees and it might end up costing him $100 million? Delicious. 

You don't fuck with Icelanders. If they don't straight up split your head open with a poleaxe they'll fucking destroy you with passive aggression and niceness on social media. He's opening a restaurant named after his mom FFS. These people are fucking terrifying. 

Archived