Twitterly dee dee dum dum ...

Zorral

1 hour ago, cock_merchant said:

Ofcourse not, blatant racism and bigotry shouldn't be tolerated. Free speech has its limits on both sides. 

So you don't want Trump back on Twitter then?

I use twitter to check on Ukraine news and who is winning local US elections.  It has gotten buggier and generally a bit shittier since Musk purchased it.  Having to see every single thing Musk posts, when he never has anything interesting to say, is a drag.  But overall the platform is not dramatically different (for me anyway). 

Musk is making changes for who is promoted on the For You tab depending on whether you have a blue tick or not.

Who uses the For You tab?! It’s basically spam as far as I’m concerned. If I ever accidentally press it all I get it people spamming out productivity lists or something totally irrelvant to me. 

33 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Musk is making changes for who is promoted on the For You tab depending on whether you have a blue tick or not.

Who uses the For You tab?! It’s basically spam as far as I’m concerned. If I ever accidentally press it all I get it people spamming out productivity lists or something totally irrelvant to me. 

It's weird because I use it as my primary feed (I don't follow that many people).  I get the impression that it works way better for me than most people, because it isn't just a bunch of irrelevant junk. 

30 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

It's weird because I use it as my primary feed (I don't follow that many people).  I get the impression that it works way better for me than most people, because it isn't just a bunch of irrelevant junk. 

The problem for me is that it’s Twitter determining what I might be interested in, and it’s usually wrong. If I went there now it’s going to be a lot of stuff about GPT 4, productivity, Elon’s personal spam and just general US poltics stuff. It might mix in stuff from people I follow but nowhere near enough. It’s almost completely usable from my perspective and always has been.

53 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Same for me. I just follow 6 people - 5 about Ukraine and web3 is going just great for light entertainment.

For me works quite well but I have to tell it from time to time that I'm not so super interested in US politics. Twitter probably took lessons from the board on this one :P

Since a couple of days I noticed a small flood of advertisements. I went weeks without seeing any ad and now it's back in full force.

Era: no tweets from Musk, luckily.

The for you tab is aping the success of tiktok, where many people consume it that way and it does a decent job showing you fresh content. Twitter is trying to do that. It doesn't work very well because of the nature of Twitter and who makes content on it, but they're trying, and God willing they will only lose another 5 billion figuring it out.

The For You tab is terrible.  The shit I want "for me" is the shit I actively follow.  One of the best features of Twitter was that you could more or less curate it to show you what you want without a bunch of bullshit you're not interested in.  The fact that the feed now defaults to it is annoying, if it was just that Musk Twitter wouldn't be so bad, but it's also buggy as hell now.  

The fact that Musk wants to make it only verified accounts is hilarious.  I think he fundamentally doesn't understand how many users use the platform, and that he can't admit it's never going to be worth what he paid for it so he's trying to squeeze blood from a stone.

He seems obsessed with the idea that there were so many "bots" (or he was just going on about it before the purchase to try to drive the price down?)...

I think it's time to start just confiscating 100% of anyone's wealth over, I dunno,  $5 million.  

36 minutes ago, Larry of the Lake said:

The fact that Musk wants to make it only verified accounts is hilarious.  I think he fundamentally doesn't understand how many users use the platform, and that he can't admit it's never going to be worth what he paid for it so he's trying to squeeze blood from a stone.

I actually think this is kind of smart; the goal is to make the people who want to go viral have to pay for getting promoted via their system. I think in practice it's going to result in a much worse For You plan and is also a good indictment of how shitty their tech is to detect bots and fight manipulation, but I kind of get where they're going for.

But it's not going to work very well. 

Twitter did not immediately respond to a request for comment beyond sending a poop emoji — an automatic response to inquiries sent to its press email address that its new owner, Elon Musk, recently announced earlier this month.

He really is less Lex Luthor and more idiot man child. 

Twitter apparently open sourced some of their algorithm and HAHAHHA

(
      "author_is_elon",
      candidate =>
        candidate
          .getOrElse(AuthorIdFeature, None).contains(candidate.getOrElse(DDGStatsElonFeature, 0L))),
    (
      "author_is_power_user",
      candidate =>
        candidate
          .getOrElse(AuthorIdFeature, None)
          .exists(candidate.getOrElse(DDGStatsVitsFeature, Set.empty[Long]).contains)),
    (
      "author_is_democrat",
      candidate =>
        candidate
          .exists(candidate.getOrElse(DDGStatsDemocratsFeature, Set.empty[Long]).contains)),
    (
      "author_is_republican",
      candidate =>
        candidate
          .exists(candidate.getOrElse(DDGStatsRepublicansFeature, Set.empty[Long]).contains)),
  )

Yep, that's right - a hardcoded value for whether or not it's Elon Musk as well as if they're on a list of specific democrats or republicans decorating it in some way for showing things. 

That sounds great

NPR is being labeled as state-sponsored media (similar to RT) in a change in policy at Twitter. Between this and yanking the verified value from NYT Twitter appears to be wanting to wreck most of the media functions on Twitter. Given that one of the only really good uses of Twitter is news aggregation and spreading, this seems like a remarkably stupid own goal. Not that surprising, mind you - Musk has had a long history of misunderstanding the value of Twitter and the reason behind its success, and trying to fuck over the creators of that value. 

Archived