Twitterly dee dee dum dum ...

Zorral

On 12/17/2022 at 5:07 PM, LongRider said:

Are you going to one of the other social media sites?  I'm on Post and Counter social.   I use Twitter mostly to read and follow people I find interesting, so I rarely engage and usually just retweet once in a while or comment on a post.  Here on this little slice of paradise we know you ain't no pedo groomer!      /cdn-cgi/mirage/6dc3d3eb1a38505cabd90fb7ffd43995f14702a0df4cf40d6136ae67a48e140e/1280/https://asoiaf.westeros.org/uploads/emoticons/default_cheers.gif

I’m on Post @that_SC_guy1

The Finale of the Great Internet Grievance Wars Is Here
What Elon Musk wants from his hand-picked journalists—and what the “Twitter Files” actually reveal.

https://slate.com/technology/2022/12/elon-musk-twitter-files-bari-weiss-matt-taibbi-shadowbanning.html

It is not necessarily to Twitter’s discredit that it may have maneuvered its own internal rules to counteract this rhetorical brinksmanship. Privileging credible content over maniacally inaccurate content isn’t anti-conservative bias: It’s bias against malevolent trolls. It isn’t Twitter’s fault that so much conservative discourse in the Trump era is so deeply, fundamentally dishonest; in response to that tilted dynamic, Twitter’s moderation personnel still went out of their way to give bad-faith pundits the benefit of the doubt.

8 hours ago, LongRider said:

I voted yes, leave now, gtfo, begone asshole!   :) 

I definitely had some fun spreading it around. I'm sure that one of these three scenarios will play out: he'll ignore it, he'll have some buddy lined up to run it much as he would, or he'll spend the next several months "searching" for an ideal candidate to take over while he continues his flailing and obsessions, but for the egg on his face and the bruises to his ego, it's worth it.

4 hours ago, Paladin of Ice said:

I definitely had some fun spreading it around. I'm sure that one of these three scenarios will play out: he'll ignore it, he'll have some buddy lined up to run it much as he would, or he'll spend the next several months "searching" for an ideal candidate to take over while he continues his flailing and obsessions, but for the egg on his face and the bruises to his ego, it's worth it.

He hasn’t tweeted since the poll closed

8 hours ago, Paladin of Ice said:

I voted for him to stay. Let him suffer. But yeah I'm quite pleased with the result anyway. 

I voted for him to go, but I expected the poll to be rigged like the "letting Trump back on Twitter" poll.   Pleasantly surprised that it didn't and wasn't.   

But I suspect he is/was planning to leave as Twitter CEO either way.  It's no fun anymore for Elon to play with the plebs.  It was a cool, shiny toy, and Elon couldn't resist showing it off and playing with it in friends.  But like all billionaires/preschoolers, he's going to move on to the next toy, and Twitter will sit in his garage, just another shiny bauble. 

Musk always said he would be CEO of Twitter on a temporary basis, he hasn't specified when he'll resign/leave, and he's under huge pressure from Tesla investors to give up being Twitter CEO.

The poll is a publicity stunt based on him doing what he was going to do anyway - like all his Twitter polls are.

3 hours ago, mormont said:

Musk always said he would be CEO of Twitter on a temporary basis, he hasn't specified when he'll resign/leave, and he's under huge pressure from Tesla investors to give up being Twitter CEO.

The poll is a publicity stunt based on him doing what he was going to do anyway - like all his Twitter polls are.

And to satiate his own sense of ego—like with the dox poll.

The lowest voted on option was to unsuspend the accounts the next day and that’s what the second poll accomplished.

Even in this poll he went on how people should be careful for what they wish for and that there was no one who wanted the job who keep Twitter alive and how the worst rulers are those who want power.

Can't find them now, but over the past week or so I did see a couple articles about Twitter not paying their bills (like leases for office space, if I remember correctly) and contemplating screwing over former employees on their severance pay. This reminds me of the bursting tech bubble from twenty-plus years ago - I had a cousin who managed to be at two tech outfits that blew up, and both times those failures were preceded by bills going unpaid. 

So... I'm starting to think that Musk will bail on Twitter (taking everything not nailed down as he leaves), hand it over to some flunky, and then a month later the whole thing goes into Chapter 11 or some such.

Did Musk expect twitter to beg him to stay, so that he could do his best to remain as CEO, but in a couple of months back out saying he needed to focus on Tesla and SpaceX so now, regrettably handing the reigns... someone.

The saying is not be careful what you wish for. It's don't ask a question unless you already know what the answer is going to be. His ego perhaps told him what the answer would be, but reality would have told him a different answer, and if he paid attention to reality instead of his ego he would not have run the poll.

Archived