Asking an AI about the morality of certain characters...

boltons are sick

16 hours ago, Alester Florent said:

I feel like this answer sums up a lot of my overall issues with the bot.

"rightful king of Westeros in the novels of "A Song of Ice and Fire" by George R. R. Martin..." - This is just garbage filler. Obviously I know this or I wouldn't be asking the question.

You're a harsh critic, you know! Poor little AI.

"Stannis is the older brother of the late King Robert Baratheon" - no he isn't

"Daenerys is the last surviving member of the deposed Targaryen dynasty" - but the bot then offers two further claimants who would disprove this point!

Wrong, but maybe revealing. ChatGPT doesn't seem to have built up a body of facts to rely on, but repeats what is commonly said - it is commonly said that Daenerys is the last surviving member of the deposed Targaryen dynasty, in-world and out.

And the older brother thing - the most common event is that the oldest brother inherits the throne, and seemingly ChatGPT parlays this into 'inherits' = 'oldest', without understanding the context of Robert being the dead king.

"Aegon Targaryen (fAegon)" - it offers no reason why this character is called "fAegon", a word which never appears anywhere in the books. It's obviously just picked up the name from its training materials (forums and the like) but, having no actual intelligence, can't interpret what it's reading and therefore doesn't pick up that it should be offering more on this point.

True, but harsh. fAegon is almost always used without any explanation.

"Ultimately, the question of who is the rightful king of Westeros is left up to interpretation, and it is unclear who, if anyone, will ultimately emerge victorious in the ongoing struggle for power." - It completely fails to answer the question I asked it.

The question is unanswerable! Even humans don't agree on it.

It's also missing one very obvious name - you know, the person who's actually on the throne.

Another interesting one. ChatGPT is programmed to please - a smarter AI would have smacked you down by pointing out that the answer was on potential 'rightful' rulers of Westeros, and Tommen doesn't belong on that list.

All these bots really are "under the hood" is a list of probabilities collected from training data, i.e. what word is most likely to follow the input based on which words followed it in the various Google search results the bot has read.  They don't "think" in any way and people tend to assume they do simply because they generate coherent sentences.  Because it can in no way decide which of the data it finds is correct and which data is incorrect, it just spits out the most probable i.e. the opinion it found repeated the most.

If you trained it on this forum only, you would probably get every main character described as evil :P

Archived