Moodier, Murderier Mysteries

Datepalm

Give Dalgliesh, The Long Call, Karen Pirie, The Loch, or Annika, in descending order, a look. They're not quite as cerebral as Endeavour or Unforgotten, but in the same general ballpark (across from the camp of cheerful-murder shows ala Midsomer, McDonald & Dodds, etc.) I also really enjoyed Bad Sisters, but its less a straightforward murder mystery, more family drama/dark comedy.

For some effing reason, this is the only genre that I find properly unwinding while dissertation-writing. I have half a chapter left. I've seen everything.

1 hour ago, Datepalm said:

Give Dalgliesh, The Long Call, Karen Pirie, The Loch, or Annika, in descending order, a look. They're not quite as cerebral as Endeavour or Unforgotten, but in the same general ballpark (across from the camp of cheerful-murder shows ala Midsomer, McDonald & Dodds, etc.) I also really enjoyed Bad Sisters, but its less a straightforward murder mystery, more family drama/dark comedy.

For some effing reason, this is the only genre that I find properly unwinding while dissertation-writing. I have half a chapter left. I've seen everything.

It’s weird that a genre full of murder, and unpacking the many motivations and darker sides of people that could plausibly lead to murder, is so relaxing.  I think it’s due to the narrative structure and guaranteed resolution.

8 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

It’s weird that a genre full of murder, and unpacking the many motivations and darker sides of people that could plausibly lead to murder, is so relaxing.  I think it’s due to the narrative structure and guaranteed resolution.

I think its also precisely the interiority of it - the interest isn't in alien invasion or political revolution or what have you, but only the interpersonal (and often the petty). And also cliffs and things.

Many people in many generations have found their preferred brand of murder mysteries, crime fiction, policiers, detective, etc. the only fiction (and now tv, I guess?, at least for me) that refreshes and relaxes them from their daily professional stresses.  I'm another one.

2023 crime drama/mystery preview
https://thekillingtimestv.wordpress.com/2023/01/01/the-vast-killing-times-2023-crime-drama-preview/

My picks:

Vera (Series 11&12) - Incoming: January
Unforgotten (Series 5) - Spring

Endeavour (Series 9) - Endeavour will be back for three, final episodes this year. ITV is badging it ‘the end of the beginning’.

Dalgliesh (Series 2) - The second series of Dalgliesh will adapt another three novels from P.D. James’ international best-selling murder mysteries with each being told over two hour-long episodes. Bertie Carvel will reprise the role of the uniquely enigmatic detective. Death Of An Expert Witness, A Certain Justice and The Murder Room are the novels featured in series two.

Candice Renoir (Series 5)

2 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Vera (Series 11&12)

I've seen the first 4 of series 11; so it seems what they mean is two more episodes that we didn't get here?  Plus, more for a new series, 12?  This breaking them up for US audiences makes it difficult to follow what is and what isn't new.

If there is really new Dalgliesh series, it will be more than welcome!  But it looks like they will or have split this too, so I'm confused.l

On 1/1/2023 at 7:17 PM, Zorral said:

I quite enjoyed it though. Ha! :cheers:

Maybe I'll give it another try. Apart from the bad writing, I did quite like the aunts. And I can always hope the niece and her love interest get gruesomely murdered...

3 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

I did quite like the aunts.

I liked it a lot better after the first season.  I had some bumps along the way getting used to the aunts.  They get better too, as does their niece, and the other characters too. There is nothing serious, remotely serious, here, nor is there any intent to have any. 

Edited by Zorral

I quite liked Queens of Mystery, on the cosy side. It's better tonally and a lot more relaxing than say Agatha Raisin, which has a bit of a similar quirky-small-town with lots of bright colors and Strong Women of a Certain Age, but which I find really, really grating and screechy somehow (But not as good as Ms. Fischer's Murder Mysteries at it's best.) I also like Sister Boniface quite a bit in the same vein. It's absolutely ridiculous and not too worried about it.

On 1/2/2023 at 11:11 PM, Zorral said:

I've seen the first 4 of series 11; so it seems what they mean is two more episodes that we didn't get here?  Plus, more for a new series, 12?  This breaking them up for US audiences makes it difficult to follow what is and what isn't new.

If there is really new Dalgliesh series, it will be more than welcome!  But it looks like they will or have split this too, so I'm confused.l

https://thekillingtimestv.wordpress.com/2023/01/05/vera-season-11-and-12-itv-confirms-transmission-date/

two episodes from series 11 and four episodes from series 12, making up a new, six-episode run.

Vera (Series 11 and 12): Sunday 15th January, 8pm, ITV

• 2 weeks later...

I've watched Mindhunter, a show about the development of serial killer profiling by the Behavioral Science Unit of the FBI in the seventies and eighties. While a difficult matter for squeamish people like me, it was engaging and historically interesting viewing (though not entirely unproblematic in many regards). Nice cinematography and accurate settings, which I think also made it very expensive. The show is on infinite hiatus after 2 seasons, so I assume it won't be continued.

On the "light-hearted entertainment devoid of any depth or realism" front, I am enjoying Shakespeare and Hathaway.

2 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

On the "light-hearted entertainment devoid of any depth or realism" front, I am enjoying Shakespeare and Hathaway.

:agree: Fun escapism, that harms no one, even unintentionally.  It relaxes the tension of both body and brain.

The Chelsea Detective was pretty good.  There’s a nice chemistry between the lead characters.  It’s a light police procedural rather than a moody murder with lots of cliffs or moors.

Mystery Road S1 set in the Australian Outback is moodier and pretty good, although we lost interest as S2 got underway.

Both are available on AcornTV for US viewers.

I enjoyed Chelsea Detective quite a bit.

Mystery Road is a lot harder going.  This is true as well for Mystery Road: Origins, which I liked a lot more than the Mystery Road seasons.  But even Origins takes a good sweet time to hit a groove.

Chelsea Detective is a bit silly, but it does lean heavily into particularity of place, which I appreciate even if there are no convenient cliffs.

I think Shakespeare and Hathaway is under-appreciated classic if only for the puns, but also that it should really be the Sebastian Does Everything Show? For all of how fluffy it is, there's this acidic streak that shows up once in a while that keeps it from being dull despite the willingness to be silly.