Football: The Return of the Carabao Cup

polishgenius

Howe has impressed a lot and his defensive organisation looks to have improved significantly from his Bournemouth days. His Bournemouth team played pretty football but tended to be way too open defensively. His Newcastle team plays pretty football most of the time and are also rock solid in defence. Newcastle will be that happier side - away from home against the most in form side in the league, and they executed their game plan to near perfection.

We were decent enough in our game and won fairly comfortably. However, I do think we were a bit too open at times and a better side would've taken more advantage from the space between our lines. Ten Hag pretty much summed it up:

58 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Methinks Saudi Arabia is a few orders of magnitude more dreadful than Qatar. And I don't seem to recall their leader being directly, and very publicly, implicated in anything as horrific as what happened to Jamal Khashoggi.

Anyway... Whataboutism. The last refuge of those without a leg to stand on.

I see, there is a lower limit of evil that you don't have to stand up against.  I'm sure that's reassuring to the (checks notes) thousands of migrants that died constructing the stadiums, their lives were worth less than one journalist.  

You specifically targeted Howe as if he is the only person in the game, when all your players were quite happy to support another corrupt and abhorrent regime, rather whataboutism than rampant hypocrisy.   

At least one of the managers knew how to behave better than a petulant child last night when the bad man with the whistle didn't give him the decisions he wanted.  

2 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

You specifically targeted Howe as if he is the only person in the game, when all your players were quite happy to support another corrupt and abhorrent regime,

Citation required. 

Anyway, we're not taking about players. We're talking about Eddie Howe. Who knowingly went to work for a murderer. 

As for me personally, when Newcastle got taken over by the Saudis, me and my brother asked ourselves what we'd do if it was Arsenal.

The answer was Leyton Orient. 

2 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

well, you did it quite clearly a couple of pages back, and they all went to Qatar with not a backward glance, do you need more than that?

I think Rishi Sunak is onto something with this forcing people to study maths until 18 thingy.... 

7 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Newcastle got taken over by the Saudis, me and my brother asked ourselves what we'd do if it was Arsenal.

The answer was Leyton Orient. 

Do me a favour. I can't remember the last time I willingly missed an Arsenal game. Because it's never fucking happened.

Spocky cant make his mind up, is he the biggest superfan ever ever ever, or is he the most moral and most upstanding person?  

Teacher: Okay pupils. Here's an easy one. Mikel has 25 players in his squad. 8 went to Qatar to play in the World Cup. How many players does Mikel have left to work with? 

BFC, raising hand excitedly: None at all

Teacher: Get out

22 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Do me a favour. I can't remember the last time I willingly missed an Arsenal game. Because it's never fucking happened.

Spocky cant make his mind up, is he the biggest superfan ever ever ever, or is he the most moral and most upstanding person?  

How about you ask me that when the club is bought by a murderous dictator who oppresses at least 60% of his population?

A whole bunch of Geordies have walked away since the takeover. 

Andrew Georgeson, who has supported Newcastle since he was eight-years-old, was one of the first supporters I spoke to about the regime change.

And he is just one of many, who admittedly are in the minority, that feels conflicted.

"It's possible that zero-hour contracts probably live in the consciousness of the north-east more than, say, the conflict in Yemen," he told Daily Star Sport.

"But the murder of journalists, dire human rights record, Amnesty International releasing statements - these aren't normal.

"We're a working class area. We've stood up to injustices, we've gone on strikes. I'm not sure these owners represent that."

19 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Brentford are about to reach an agreement with Freiburg about Kevin Schade. That's their new quick atacking player.

Confirmed now. He's joining on loan until the end of the season with an obligation to buy - fee not yet disclosed but said to be a club record for Brentford.

Moving on from Newcastle, can I just say that I hate Chelsea? If they buy Enzo and go after Mudryk, they'll have spent 500m pounds in a 12 month period. That's insane. They're literally just waiting to the a new shiny toy comes to market and throwing boatloads of cash at them and it's really annoying me.

2 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Moving on from Newcastle, can I just say that I hate Chelsea? If they buy Enzo and go after Mudryk, they'll have spent 500m pounds in a 12 month period. That's insane. They're literally just waiting to the a new shiny toy comes to market and throwing boatloads of cash at them and it's really annoying me.

If Mudryk chooses Chelsea over Arsenal I will eat my dog.

Mudryk may or may not prefer Arsenal, but Chelsea entering the race does strengthen Shakhtar's bargaining position, and they'll be more confident about getting a fee closer to their (reportedly) £85m valuation.

Chelsea have been very fucking lucky when it comes to ownership. First Abramovich bankrolled them during the era of no financial restrictions giving them the biggest spending advantage of any football club ever. Then, during their sale, Abramovich was forced by the UK government to write off the £1.65 Billion owed to him while Boehly and consortium had to agree to the "anti-Glazer clause" i.e. committing to investing £1.75 Billion over 10 years while also agreeing not to take out any dividends during that time as well

2 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Mudryk may or may not prefer Arsenal, but Chelsea entering the race does strengthen Shakhtar's bargaining position, and they'll be more confident about getting a fee closer to their (reportedly) £85m valuation.

This. Mudryk might not chose Chelsea but Shakhtar can refuse to sell. Also, Chelsea is going to throw a shitload of money at Mudryk on wages to convince him. It's ridiculous.

31 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Teacher: Okay pupils. Here's an easy one. Mikel has 25 players in his squad. 8 went to Qatar to play in the World Cup. How many players does Mikel have left to work with? 

BFC, raising hand excitedly: None at all

Teacher: Get out

They didn't not go because of a moral code, but because they weren't selected.  Can you really not see the difference?  

We're talking about your manager happily going to work for a guy who tortures and chops up journalists, and all you've got is to claim that all of Arsenal's players went to Qatar. It was 8.

Anyway, as far as straw men go, this is pretty weak sauce.

Archived