Heresy 245 The Alpha and the Omega and what lies between

Black Crow

16 hours ago, Sly Wren said:

I'm more partial to the theory that Sansa as Alayne and Arya as all of her aliases is giving us in for about Lyanna, not Ashara. But your scenario has to be on the table.

Or--the Daynes just didn't name a Sword of the Morning that generation. GRRM makes it sound like it's not that unusual for the Daynes to leave the position open for a while. That it's less about someone being "un" worthy and more about someone being super-duper worthy.

1. This is still my biggest hope for Jon's parentage. I don't think it's happening, but I'm not giving up yet!

2. In the World Book and GRRM's SSM, only someone "of House Dayne" can be Sword of the Morning. 

So far in the novels, people are only described as "of a House" if their father is from that house. IE: Even at Riverrun, I don't think Robb was even called "of House Tully." It's a phrase that always seems tied to paternity. And to fathers--not grandfathers, grandmothers, etc.

If that holds, and if Jon is the next Sword of the Morning, his daddy's a Dayne.

Arya is a parallel of Lyanna right down to becoming "no one". Lyanna is dead and Arya is pretending to be dead.

What makes me feel even more convinced of Ashara being Wylla are the inverted parallels with "the baby swap" as well as the parallels between Ashara's presumed suicide and Littlefinger pushing Lysa out the Moondoor. 

The assumed baby swap of Rhaegar's (false Bael) and Elia's child parallels the swap of Mance's (Bael's) son. At the same time it demonstrates that, not only is Rhaegar not Jon's father, neither is Lyanna his mother:

Current - Lord Commander Jon Snow
Past - Former Lord Commander Brynden "Bloodraven" Rivers

Current - North of the Wall
Past - South in Kings Landing

Current - Mance Raydar (Bael) - King Beyond the Wall
Past - Rhaegar Targaryen (false Bael) - the presumptive heir

Current - Craster was Gilly's father and husband, and Monster's true father
Past - Rickard Stark was Lyanna's father, but not Jon's father

Current - Monster's mother was Gilly (Craster's daughter)
Past - Jon's mother was "Wylla" (not Rickard's daughter) 

Current - (Bael) Mance’s son Monster
Past - (false Bael) Rhaegar’s son Aegon

Current - Gilly’s son was not a bastard, yet a child of incest
Past - Wylla’s (Ashara) son was not a child of incest, yet he is a bastard

Current - Samwell Tarly claims paternity of Bael's Monster, but he's not the father
Past - Ned Stark claims paternity of Jon, and he is the true father. False Bael is not Jon's father.

Current - Sam takes Bael's child (who was swapped for Gilly's son) to his father's home - safe away from the Wall and Melisandre's desire to sacrifice a king's son.

Past - Ned takes his own child to his father's home while false Bael's (Rhaegar) son was swapped for the Pisswater Prince and taken away to safety.

Here are the parallels between Ashara's suicide and Lysa's murder:

I think Ned brought Ashara to Winterfell with the intention of marrying her after Robert's Rebellion. Jon was born at Winterfell "in the crypts", because his mother is believed to be dead. After Ned was forced into a marriage alliance with the Tullys, Ned returns home to help Ashara return home, but convinces her to leave Jon. This is paralleled later when LC Jon Snow convinces Gilly to leave Monster.

In order to understand why Ashara would want to become Wylla, you have to recall what happened to Lady Lollys Stokeworth. 

Lollys was raped by multiple men - any one of them could be the father of her child

Ashara was said to have "danced" with many men - we know she got pregnant, because Barristan Selmy said she was.

Lollys prospects for marriage were bleak. When it comes to marriage alliances between houses, an intact maidenhead is the required price. 

Lollys has an older sister named Falyse, which looks like it should be pronounced as "false-ey" or false sister. Ashara and Lyanna were like sisters so I think Lollys is Ashara and Falyse is Lyanna. Falyse also goes missing and nobody knows where she is except Cersei.

Pregnant Lollys's best prospect for marriage is Bronn, a sellsword that became a knight after the Battle of the Blackwater - a noble achievement, but also one that is viewed with distaste. Bronn doesn't come from some noble house so he is viewed as a "jumped up" knight.

What were Ashara's marital options after giving birth? She comes from the ancient, important, noble house of Dayne. I think she came up with the Wylla idea as a way to escape a marriage beneath her station and have the added benefit of remaining in her family home. If you think about it, it protects Ned too. His relationship with Ashara could have been seen as fraternizing with the enemy since House Dayne was on the side of the Crown during the Rebellion.

Here are the inverted parallels I see between Lysa's murder and Ashara's presumed suicide:

Petyr = Alayne's father

Father = of Ashara

Sansa = Alayne

Ashara = Wylla

“live” Lysa = Sansa’s aunt, forced out the Moon Door

“already dead” Unknown body = Ashara’s aunt/uncle, pushed off the tower

Moon Door (a narrow weirwood door that stands between two slender pillars)

Palestone Tower

Lysa intended to kill Sansa/Alayne

Ashara/Wylla pretended to kill herself

13 hours ago, EggBlue said:

I do like Sansa/Ashara parallel. but, Wylla/Alayne doesn't align at all. Wylla is a servant, Alayne is a bastard lady. their roles, purpose and connection to the family are different. then of course there's the logistics part that should be considered to a degree. if Wylla is indeed Ashara, then Daynes have turned their daughter/sister into a servant . not to mention, this situation doesn't explain a Ned Stark involvement at all... if anything, it would make Daynes hate Ned even more. what with Knocking up their sister, leaving her to be a servant, and killing Arthur who was doing his job. the fact that Wylla was both Ned's and Jon's wet nurse simply means that she has at least 2 children: one is 15 , the other is 12. 

I still tend to stick to my theory that Ashara is Lemore and that Ned has covered for her and house Dayne.

he clearly fucked up there! maybe that's why he always has a "sad smile" in memories! he was the perfect knight and had to stop being the perfect knight to be the perfect Kingsgaurd. likely, by the end he was neither.

one could say Arthur made the choice that Jon's friends stopped him to do. Arthur chose to be a kingsgaurd to be by his brother's(Rhaegar's) side, while Jon was persuaded not to follow his brother(Robb) . 

aaand ... another cover up by Ned Stark for Daynes. I mean, what did Robert do to Rhaegar's family when he thought Rhaegar has hooked up with Lyanna?! 

totally plausible. but what a disappointing development! a man of the night instead of the knight in shining armor:(

I think Alayne is viewed with much disdain since Petyr is also viewed with contempt. We're familiar with up-jumped knights, but Petyr is an up-jumped Lord. When the marriage was proposed to Harry the Heir, he pretty much thought Alayne was beneath his station which I think is a nod towards what Ashara thought about her marriage prospects after giving birth. She didn't want to marry beneath her station. She found it as distasteful as Harry did of his match with Alayne.

Lady Lenore is more likely Rhaella Targaryen. There isn't a description of what Rhaella looked like, but you have to remember that her grandmother was Bella Blackwood, aka Black Betha due to her black hair and eyes. Who better to care for baby Aegon than his own grandmother? After successive miscarriages, Aegon became suspicious of Rhaella and she spent much of her time with septas. It would be easy for her to assume the identity of a septa since she spent so much time with them.

Circling back to how the Daynes would feel about Ned...who exactly was left at Starfall after the Rebellion? I suspect that it was only Ashara and the household guards and servants. 

On 2/3/2023 at 5:12 PM, Sly Wren said:

Could be--Dany is certainly more likely to be more sympathetic to a dead Aemon than whenever she runs into Young Griff/Aegon. 

I also wonder how the "Prince that was Promised" revelation will hit Dany--did Gilly hear Aemon say he thought it could be a girl? Might drive Dany further into her sense of entitlement.

What Gilly, the wallflower, knows or doesn't know is a good question.  Just because she is silent doesn't mean she doesn't know anything; listening and observing what is said around her on or off the page.   

Dany would certainly find out more about Aemon, and how he removed himself from the line of succession in favour of Aegon.  Of course, I wonder what books he was sending to the Citadel and if they included his own journals.  He was a maester and an academic after all.  The idea intrigues me.

On 2/4/2023 at 7:30 PM, Melifeather said:

I think Alayne is viewed with much disdain since Petyr is also viewed with contempt. We're familiar with up-jumped knights, but Petyr is an up-jumped Lord. When the marriage was proposed to Harry the Heir, he pretty much thought Alayne was beneath his station which I think is a nod towards what Ashara thought about her marriage prospects after giving birth. She didn't want to marry beneath her station. She found it as distasteful as Harry did of his match with Alayne.

Circling back to how the Daynes would feel about Ned...who exactly was left at Starfall after the Rebellion? I suspect that it was only Ashara and the household guards and servants. 

The problems with this scenario are Ned Dayne's age, the Dornish culture being more open to an inheriting lady who's just given birth to a bastard if she is indeed the last person in Starfall, and the situation between Ashara and Ned being too rocky at that point for her to be grateful. 

Lady Lenore is more likely Rhaella Targaryen. There isn't a description of what Rhaella looked like, but you have to remember that her grandmother was Bella Blackwood, aka Black Betha due to her black hair and eyes. Who better to care for baby Aegon than his own grandmother? After successive miscarriages, Aegon became suspicious of Rhaella and she spent much of her time with septas. It would be easy for her to assume the identity of a septa since she spent so much time with them.

I'm afraid I have to disagree with Rhaella=Septa Lemore theory. and it has nothing to do with looks which is hardly the thing one can get from a book's pages. I believe in figuring out Lemore's identity , we must pay close attention to Jon Con's chapters. Jon is everything you expect from an arrogant, proud nobleman and a Targaryen loyalist. men like Jon care about the class system A LOT. he cares about hierarchy whether in the Red Keep or on a small boat on the other side of the world. this guy respects Lemore like almost an equal. but it ends there. he doesn't see a reason to listen to Lemore's council after hearing it , despite his fondness and respect for the woman. this is not the treatment Jon Con would give his queen. whether he likes it or not Rhaella Targaryen would be above him , not an equal. he would have to convince her of his plans and wouldn't dismiss her worries in an order. no. Lemore is a Westerosi Lady. 

13 hours ago, EggBlue said:

I'm afraid I have to disagree with Rhaella=Septa Lemore theory. and it has nothing to do with looks which is hardly the thing one can get from a book's pages. I believe in figuring out Lemore's identity , we must pay close attention to Jon Con's chapters. Jon is everything you expect from an arrogant, proud nobleman and a Targaryen loyalist. men like Jon care about the class system A LOT. he cares about hierarchy whether in the Red Keep or on a small boat on the other side of the world. this guy respects Lemore like almost an equal. but it ends there. he doesn't see a reason to listen to Lemore's council after hearing it , despite his fondness and respect for the woman. this is not the treatment Jon Con would give his queen. whether he likes it or not Rhaella Targaryen would be above him , not an equal. he would have to convince her of his plans and wouldn't dismiss her worries in an order. no. Lemore is a Westerosi Lady. 

We don't get a JonCon POV chapter until ADWD chapter 24 The Lost Lord and then a second, chapter 61 The Griffin Reborn. Not really enough to provide ample evidence as to whether or not he viewed Septa Lemore as being above him or as an equal or what. He's very careful to conceal Young Griff's identity, making him dye his hair, and having him tell people that he's his son. Identity concealment is important to his mission and It would be a bad habit to get into if JonCon was seen deferring or taking orders from Lady Lemore. Once Aerys was dead, Rhaella was no longer a queen. She crowned Viserys once she heard Aerys was dead. I guess she could be Queen Consort, but once Robert Baratheon took the throne by conquest, Viserys claim wasn't legitimate either.

Who knows how long JonCon's group has been together? For Lady Lemore to be Rhaella she had to fake her death and leave her own children in the hands of Ser Willem Derry. Daenerys has memories that aren't easy to explain. She remembers Ser Willem as a bear of a man and she remembers a red door and lemon trees. All very mysterious and constantly discussed. Then there's Viserys comments about how they survived in the streets and his sarcastic "sweet sister" comments. He was angry about something and obsessed over his claim to the throne. Maybe there was an extra layer to that? Maybe he knew his mother was still alive and that Rhaegar's son Aegon was too and that she chose to split them up and go with her grandchild rather than her children? 

On 2/3/2023 at 3:47 PM, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

Even so, 12 years old is too young to become Sword of the Morning, he is still just a squire at this point. Which is probably why GRRM created Darkstar. 

Might depend on what "worthy" means to the Daynes--12-14 is super young. But we don't fully know their criteria.

Are you thinking Darkstar will be Sword of the Morning? Really seems like he knows the family isn't giving him that role. . . 

On 2/4/2023 at 12:42 AM, LynnS said:

Well, no.  I expect these fires she has to light to have some kind of magical component.

:agree:

We've been primed by the show to expect Dany to burn the Khals and walk out of the fire unburnt again.  I'm just not sure it will happen that way.  IIRC George said that Drogos funeral pyre was a one-time miraculous event.  So I don't think she was given permanent immunity to fire.  And does she need that when Drogon is likely to attack anyone who threatens her?  

Agreed.

So I don't know what the fires will be.  However, there must be a reason why George has preserved Aemons body, in alcohol, no less.  Someone has to give him a fiery funeral and I think that's likely to be Dany, if Marwyn does take Aemons remains with him.

I imagine something less mundane and rather spectacular.  A funeral pyre a big as Julius Caesars and pyrotechnics befitting an alcohol soaked body.   He is also kings blood and this would make Melisandres leach burning look like childs play.  I wonder what Dany will see in the flames this time.  Pure speculation, but that's what I imagine.

I'm liking this very much. Am also worried about Mance's baby.

But this is getting me very speculative about Summerhall again--was the idea just to sacrifice one child for the dragon eggs--which is plenty horrifying. 

If so, it could mean Dany under Marwyn's "guidance" could try to up the ante and sacrifice two people with kingsblood at once. . . 

On 2/5/2023 at 2:04 AM, LynnS said:

What Gilly, the wallflower, knows or doesn't know is a good question.  Just because she is silent doesn't mean she doesn't know anything; listening and observing what is said around her on or off the page.   

Dany would certainly find out more about Aemon, and how he removed himself from the line of succession in favour of Aegon.  Of course, I wonder what books he was sending to the Citadel and if they included his own journals.  He was a maester and an academic after all.  The idea intrigues me.

I am also intrigued. 

Am also wondering how this might affect/increase Dany's reaction to Young Griff. . . if she reads Rhaegar's take on things, via Aemon's journals. . . 

11 minutes ago, Sly Wren said:

But this is getting me very speculative about Summerhall again--was the idea just to sacrifice one child for the dragon eggs--which is plenty horrifying. 

If so, it could mean Dany under Marwyn's "guidance" could try to up the ante and sacrifice two people with kingsblood at once. . . 

I don't know if he's going to do that.  He's the one who said prophecy would bite your dick off every time.   Didn't Gilly name Mance's son Aemon?  I don't think Dany will go in for child sacrifice, period.   She's more likely to be surprised that a wildling woman would name the boy after Aemon and that Jon would send Aemon and the child out of Mel's reach.   Aemon might become her teacher after the fact anyway.  

On 2/4/2023 at 9:00 AM, Melifeather said:

Arya is a parallel of Lyanna right down to becoming "no one". Lyanna is dead and Arya is pretending to be dead.

What makes me feel even more convinced of Ashara being Wylla are the inverted parallels with "the baby swap" as well as the parallels between Ashara's presumed suicide and Littlefinger pushing Lysa out the Moondoor. 

Agree fully on the first.

Full disclosure: I have a really hard time making the direct inversions work. Really seems like we don't have enough evidence. Rough echoes where we've been told Arya and Sansa are like Lyanna in specific ways? Absolutely. But the idea of set, precise inversions. .  . I really struggle with this.

I think Ned brought Ashara to Winterfell with the intention of marrying her after Robert's Rebellion. Jon was born at Winterfell "in the crypts", because his mother is believed to be dead. After Ned was forced into a marriage alliance with the Tullys, Ned returns home to help Ashara return home, but convinces her to leave Jon. This is paralleled later when LC Jon Snow convinces Gilly to leave Monster.

In order to understand why Ashara would want to become Wylla, you have to recall what happened to Lady Lollys Stokeworth. 

Lollys was raped by multiple men - any one of them could be the father of her child

Ashara was said to have "danced" with many men - we know she got pregnant, because Barristan Selmy said she was.

But. . . in Westeros, couples seem to marry at the bride's house--why go to Winterfell?

The Daynes are Dornish--why would they care about even an excessive number of paramours? The Martells clearly don't. Do we have any evidence that the Daynes have a strongly different take on this than the rest of the Dornish?

And "raped by multiple men" is vastly different than having paramours--especially in Dorne. 

What were Ashara's marital options after giving birth?

In Dorne? They're fine, given what we see of the Martells.

She comes from the ancient, important, noble house of Dayne. I think she came up with the Wylla idea as a way to escape a marriage beneath her station and have the added benefit of remaining in her family home.

But--if she's home, it's really hard to hide this. We see Jeyne pass as Arya because the household of Winterfell is gone and Arya was still pretty young when she left home. Sansa can pass as Alayne because she's never been to the Eyrie--even then, Myranda seems to think something's up. Yes, Harwin doesn't recognize Arya at first, but that's because he thinks she's dead, it's been a while since he saw her, she's a kid and kids change, etc. And he does recognize her eventually.

Given all that, if the full grown, famously drop dead gorgeous Ashara is hiding in her own house, assuming her father didn't conduct a violent purge of the Starfall staff--this really seems hard to pull off.

I think that Wylla Manderly is a much better clue--her green hair.  Her loyalty to the Starks. Her name coming out of literal nowhere for no narrative need. 

And given that we have both Arya and Sansa hiding under aliases and Lyanna clearly tied to both of them repeatedly in the novels: Lyanna hid under an alias. Probably under "Wylla". Likely dying her hair as we see with both Sansa and Wylla Manderly.

But I do think there's a decent chance Ashara is Quaithe.

If you think about it, it protects Ned too. His relationship with Ashara could have been seen as fraternizing with the enemy since House Dayne was on the side of the Crown during the Rebellion.

But he fought on Robert's side and was his bestest bud. Really don't think Ned would need any protection. . . 

ETA: That said, I do agree that Ashara may have had to "give up" a baby--if she's Dany's mother (a theory I'm still very partial to) via Rhaegar, that baby would have to be hidden. Just like Mance's baby (if for different reasons). Under another identity. 

So, I think that echo could hold. . . in lots of ways.

Edited by Sly Wren
Forgot Something.

14 minutes ago, Sly Wren said:

I am also intrigued. 

Am also wondering how this might affect/increase Dany's reaction to Young Griff. . . if she reads Rhaegar's take on things, via Aemon's journals. . . 

Yes, if such a journal exists and why not.  It could include correspondence between Rhaegar and Aemon;  Bloodraven's thoughts and dreams, Aemon's dreams etc.  If there is some connective tissue between show and book canon; then Dany's vision of Rhaegar, Elia and newborn Aegon, in the House of Undying,  could influence her choices.  Especially if Aemon and Bloodraven knew about Aegon the Conqeroos prophecy of the Song of Ice and Fire.

3 minutes ago, LynnS said:

I don't know if he's going to do that.  He's the one who said prophecy would bite your dick off every time.   Didn't Gilly name Mance's son Aemon?  I don't think Dany will go in for child sacrifice, period.   She's more likely to be surprised that a wildling woman would name the boy after Aemon and that Jon would send Aemon and the child out of Mel's reach.   Aemon might become her teacher after the fact anyway.  

I certainly hope so. 

My fear with Dany is that she fluctuates back and forth between civilized and dragon-burning. 

If she thought a sacrifice could help her save all of Westeros, which she thinks belongs to her. . . I could see this.

And getting somewhat back to Black Crow's thread--the echoes/repeats of sacrifice in the North and for the Targs--they repeat and repeat and repeat.

Jon chose duty in Game--sacrificed own needs to be with Robb and instead went back to the Wall.

Dany chose to sacrifice others to get what she wanted--to conquer. I hope she won't see Baby as expendable. But. . . she's an odd duck for me.

4 hours ago, Sly Wren said:

But. . . in Westeros, couples seem to marry at the bride's house--why go to Winterfell?

While it’s not explained how or when Ashara left Kings Landing, many readers think she was the fisherman’s daughter that Lord Borel (spelling?) of Sisterton saw with Ned and claimed was pregnant. If she had fled Kings Landing during the Rebellion and was the fisherman’s daughter, then she crossed the Bite with Ned and was also with him when he stopped at White Harbor so the Manderlys could have named their Wylla after her and maybe knew very well who she really was.

5 hours ago, Sly Wren said:

The Daynes are Dornish--why would they care about even an excessive number of paramours? The Martells clearly don't. Do we have any evidence that the Daynes have a strongly different take on this than the rest of the Dornish?

The Daynes and Martels may not care about a lack of maidenhead or paramours, but the rest of Westeros does. Reducing matches to just two houses only makes the pool of suitable matches even smaller.

5 hours ago, Sly Wren said:

Given all that, if the full grown, famously drop dead gorgeous Ashara is hiding in her own house, assuming her father didn't conduct a violent purge of the Starfall staff--this really seems hard to pull off.

Ashara’s father is dead. Young Edric is the current Lord of Starfall. I don’t think GRRM has provided a name or date of death for Ashara’s father, but I think it’s possible he died in the Rebellion. 

8 hours ago, Sly Wren said:

Dany chose to sacrifice others to get what she wanted--to conquer.

I'm going to have re-read Dany chapters and shake off the cob webs.  I think she will be Dany the Conqueror, at least of Essos and she inhabits a cruel and brutal world that shapes her to some extent.  I'm not sure she knows what she wants at this point but she is being driven by those around her to follow their path instead of her own path.   Aegon is in the same boat, perhaps more so than Dany.   

I think her heart is good and she would prefer the velvet glove to the iron fist; but she has to subdue a continent first and she will meet brutality with brutality, since this is the only language her foes understand.    She will have to deal with all the unexpected consequences of the power she wields.  It won't all go her own way.  What choices she makes will fall into the category of the things we do for love.

A Clash of Kings - Daenerys IV

"Three?" She did not understand.

. . . three heads has the dragon . . . the ghost chorus yammered inside her skull with never a lip moving, never a breath stirring the still blue air. . . . mother of dragons . . . child of storm . . . The whispers became a swirling song. . . . three fires must you light . . . one for life and one for death and one to love . . . Her own heart was beating in unison to the one that floated before her, blue and corrupt . . . three mounts must you ride . . . one to bed and one to dread and one to love . . . The voices were growing louder, she realized, and it seemed her heart was slowing, and even her breath. . . . three treasons will you know . . . once for blood and once for gold and once for love . . .

4 hours ago, LynnS said:

Does this remind you of anything?

If memory serves, I believe I read one time that GRRM rereads the Lord of the Rings trilogy every year. Its bound to have infiltrated into his consciousness and inspired many ideas in ASOIAF.

2 hours ago, Melifeather said:

If memory serves, I believe I read one time that GRRM rereads the Lord of the Rings trilogy every year. Its bound to have infiltrated into his consciousness and inspired many ideas in ASOIAF.

I'm coming across a lot of this stuff as I'm delving into Tolkien lore.  The use of light and fire against the shadows; Dany as an analog to Galadriel; in that Galadriel is tempted to use the power of the ring for good; but would eventually be corrupted by it.  Everyone would love Galadriel/Dany and despair. 

The business of Arya as a dark angel who would help those who are tired of the injuries and pain of life by guiding them to the shadowland.  An inversion of the elves (lesser angels/beings of light) doing the same for Frodo.

The Black Gate/Night Gate used used as an entrance from the primary world to the secondary world and the entryway to a prison.  

27 minutes ago, LynnS said:

Crap!  I have covid.  So i"m isolating in my room and I've made a nest out of pillows and fuzzy blankets.  I'm listening to audiobooks and livestreams to pass the time.  

Hopefully you've got a mutated variety that is less severe! Take care and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

23 minutes ago, Melifeather said:

Hopefully you've got a mutated variety that is less severe! Take care and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

It seems pretty mild.  I had some joint pain last week and I woke up with a sinus headache and a sure throat yesterday.  But it seems to be going away though.  I had two positive tests yesterday and one today.  I'll be ok, I've had a pneumonia vax and 3 covid vax.  But thanks! :D