Nihilism is a philosophical temper tantrum…

Ser Scot A Ellison

7 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Yes.  There’s a bit of a paradox in finding meaning from meaning’s absense… but if that’s what works for you.

;) 

:lol: No paradox if it's subjective. I can announce that I think there's no good tasting food on Earth, and that may be true, while also recognizing that others may find good tasting food on Earth.

I just wanted to verify, because it seems strange to me that you consider those who find meaning in life to be valid in their philosophy, while those who do not are throwing a temper tantrum.

My understanding of nihilism is that it does not repudiate the fact that people are able to form an opinion, or that these opinions have an associate emotionally induced value for indiviuals. Nihilism asserts these values are nothing beyond an incidental collection of opinions someone may come upon.

I fail to see why developing a philosphy that tries to give objective value to these opinions is more worthy than developing a philosophy that denies an objective value to these opinions.

On 12/28/2022 at 10:47 AM, IFR said:

I fail to see why developing a philosphy that tries to give objective value to these opinions is more worthy than developing a philosophy that denies an objective value to these opinions.

Ever tried to live with and have a relationship with a nihilist?

Nihilism is just the way the world works. It's like asking if people complaining the Titanic is sinking are cramping the vibe. There isn't objective meaning to the universe and even if there is it doesn't matter because no one can agree what it is, which makes it subjective, unless you can objectively prove a religion right. I agree that self identified nihilists can be annoying and I suppose If you really drill down you could call me one. But the universe doesn't have meaning, it's like a sandbox RPG you gotta make your own goals or own meaning. 

9 hours ago, Darzin said:

Nihilism is just the way the world works. It's like asking if people complaining the Titanic is sinking are cramping the vibe. There isn't objective meaning to the universe and even if there is it doesn't matter because no one can agree what it is, which makes it subjective, unless you can objectively prove a religion right. I agree that self identified nihilists can be annoying and I suppose If you really drill down you could call me one. But the universe doesn't have meaning, it's like a sandbox RPG you gotta make your own goals or own meaning. 

Uh huh…

19 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Uh huh…

I mean I dunno if that is so ridiculous then what is the meaning of life the universe and everything? Could you give me an example of something with objective meaning.  

2 hours ago, Darzin said:

I mean I dunno if that is so ridiculous then what is the meaning of life the universe and everything? Could you give me an example of something with objective meaning.  

You’re a solipsist?  Or is the existence of other humans, the Earth, Luna, Sol, the Milkey Way, and the Universe at large, subjective?

5 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

You’re a solipsist?  Or is the existence of other humans, the Earth, Luna, Sol, the Milkey Way, and the Universe at large, subjective?

The material existence of things seems more ontological than epistemological (where I would categorize nihilism, which denies a metaphysical meaning to observed phenomena - an epistemological assertion).

If you declare that there are 100 centimeters in a meter, the nihilist is not going to dispute this by saying that giving a numerical value to a centimeter is giving it meaning, therefore it's not true. If, however, you declare that the US Customary convention of measurement is objectively superior to the SI convention, the nihilist will start throwing up objections and state this is not objectively true, it's just your opinion and there's no objective weight to it.

28 minutes ago, IFR said:

The material existence of things seems more ontological than epistemological (where I would categorize nihilism, which denies a metaphysical meaning to observed phenomena - an epistemological assertion).

If you declare that there are 100 centimeters in a meter, the nihilist is not going to dispute this by saying that giving a numerical value to a centimeter is giving it meaning, therefore it's not true. If, however, you declare that the US Customary convention of measurement is objectively superior to the SI convention, the nihilist will start throwing up objections and state this is not objectively true, it's just your opinion and there's no objective weight to it.

IFR,

That’s a fair point but Darzin didn’t specify.  Darzin simply asked for me to name items with objective meanings.  So I did:

13 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

IFR,

That’s a fair point but Darzin didn’t specify.  Darzin simply asked for me to name items with objective meanings.  So I did:

Yeah but those aren't "meanings".  The existence of people or the distance to the sun might be objective facts but thats almost entirely irrelevant.  

Archived