Manchildren

Tyrosh Lannister

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." C. S. Lewis

I find facile judgements about what constitutes "adult" behaviour and tastes far more damning of a person than any amount of enjoyment of any of the things you list, indeed the ability to earnestly and unashamedly find joy in whatever it is that that person finds pleasing is a quality I find most admirable and indicative of maturity and emotional intelligence. It's juveniles who chase after the appearance of maturity and cringe with shame at their own reflected inner desires.

4 hours ago, Tyrosh Lannister said:

Why are so many manchildren (aged 30 and above) addicted to entertainment aimed towards children? (Star Wars, Harry Potter, Marvel/DC, kids video games, funkopops, Disney etc) ?

Tyrosh Lannister -- nostalgia & comfort (that is, emotional sanctuary). It’s a growing trend where capitalists have been actively exploiting early and middle-aged adults since they have more money than traditional targets: children.

I think kidults buying toys and other things (for themselves) comprise 15-25% of sales, hahaha.

2 hours ago, Poobah said:

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." C. S. Lewis

I find facile judgements about what constitutes "adult" behaviour and tastes far more damning of a person than any amount of enjoyment of any of the things you list, indeed the ability to earnestly and unashamedly find joy in whatever it is that that person finds pleasing is a quality I find most admirable and indicative of maturity and emotional intelligence. It's juveniles who chase after the appearance of maturity and cringe with shame at their own reflected inner desires.

I do think a lot of this is just people mistaking a cultural norm they grew up with or habituated to as an everlasting fact on the world that has always existed and will always exist.

The notion of super hero Comics being only appropriate  for kids came about through the comic book industry having to heavily censor itself in face of a moral panic in the 60s—for example thinking  Batman and robin turn kids gay.

Probably because most people don’t want to grow up and don’t have to till they have kids, which they are leaving later and later. 

There is probably a specific phenomenon about males who are excluded from cool society retreating into toys and nerd stuff to give themselves some comfort, which is a more extreme version of what a lot of us do.

Seventeen thousand years ago, the ancestors of Pixar and Disney artists filled the Lascaux caves with animal pictures. Not animals for eating. Just animals that were cool, including what would now be called a cat with chonk. 

In other words, the problem is even worse than you feared. Just think how much happier and worthy those cave dwellers' lives would have been if they'd spent them prophesying the coming of James Joyce in ochre pictograms. 

9 hours ago, Tyrosh Lannister said:

Why are so many manchildren (aged 30 and above) addicted to entertainment aimed towards children? (Star Wars, Harry Potter, Marvel/DC, kids video games, funkopops, Disney etc) ?

I think there has to be something worth exploring, the level of emotional investment and dependency people have with these things is... alarming. 

I, just personally, this is just me- think about it in terms of where the money that people are making is funneled, because we know they aren't saving it. 

When seventy-five percent or more of your budget is food/housing/transport/utilities (so, like, the basics of having a job and place to live) some people prioritize emotional sugar rushes like kidstalgia and pseudo-relations like twitch streams and friendcast shows. They could be doing meth instead. Which might be preferable, because that meth money would go to a local entrepreneur and that Disney+ subscription cash goes into the Mickey Mouse offshore account and is never seen again... or is that how economics works? 

As far as I'm concerned, I don't care what braindead podcast/youtube/QAnon/Disney bullshit you fill your head with, as long as you do it on your employer's time or while you're at school. When you're at home you better not be on that shit or I'll come Emotionally ReDevelop you  (berate the shit out of you) as part of my 26 week live-in NewYearNewYou Personal Improvement course.

And don't give them your FUCKING MONEY 

It like legit makes me sad when I see folks who probably don't make a lot of money buying E-stickers and making E-fetti rain over the chatbox while someone else gets paid to play a game. 

Like yo that ain't healthy

If you're watching something like that at work I get it, you're chained to a desk I dig it. But this is what people think of is fun? Like, for your own personal recreation? Paying someone else to recreate for you?

5 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I'm with you on funkopops, if I was single it would be a deal breaker. 

But aren't women almost just as likely to be into that shit now? 

Didn't even know what those were before reading this.  This thread is pointless whining, but yeah I'll agree on that one.

On a tangent, Cartoon Network has been doing a great job trying to make shows for children, but also keeping them entertaining for the parents, with references the children would never get  

There was a whole episode of Gumball based on FF VII. 

They even did Knights of the Round. 

https://youtu.be/ZcBMM3JsOPA

7 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Fuck you, world.

Fifty-three-years-old and I have a furry, googly-eyed monkey, a Gandalf, a pirate with springs for legs, and a Poe Dameron action figure, all jostling for space on my desk.

But do you have my Hermione Wand?

Though some of your things are good too.

Archived