Manchildren

Tyrosh Lannister

16 hours ago, Tyrosh Lannister said:

Why are so many manchildren (aged 30 and above) addicted to entertainment aimed towards children? (Star Wars, Harry Potter, Marvel/DC, kids video games, funkopops, Disney etc) ?

Mmn.

Even with the sorta normalization of LotR, GoT, etc, I know a lot of people in RL that deem Fantasy books childish, escapist, et so on no matter their content.   

You didn't come here for that, to nerd out over books, didja Tyr. 

9 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

On a tangent, Cartoon Network has been doing a great job trying to make shows for children, but also keeping them entertaining for the parents, with references the children would never get

These cartoons are standing of the shoulders of giants!   Well, ok, a bunny rabbit, a puddy cat, a lost Martian and an over-sexed skunk, among others.    You're welcome.    :)

5 minutes ago, LongRider said:

These cartoons are standing of the shoulders of giants!   Well, ok, a bunny rabbit, a puddy cat, a lost Martian and an over-sexed skunk, among others.    You're welcome.    :)

Don’t worry. I still remember those from my single digits.

I was born in ‘91 after all. I was around for the Tom and Jerry Bowl. 

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

Fuck you, world.

Fifty-three-years-old and I have a furry, googly-eyed monkey, a Gandalf, a pirate with springs for legs, and a Poe Dameron action figure, all jostling for space on my desk.

What kind furry do you have? Do you keep yours outside too? I had my furry neutered, even though I don't hold with the practice when it comes to cats or dogs.

3 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Is it even legal to keep your furry outside in these low temperatures?

Well the Vet absolutely forbade it, as a general practice entirely apart from this current cold, but she also acknowledged that because :legally speaking: that was a man taking a shit in her office litterbox she really didn't have any business, to say nothing of jurisdiction or inclination, getting involved.

2 minutes ago, Fire and Jace said:

Well the Vet absolutely forbade it, as a general practice entirely apart from this current cold, but she also acknowledged that because :legally speaking: that was a man taking a shit in her office litterbox she really didn't have any business, to say nothing of jurisdiction or inclination, getting involved.

Well….. I hope you at least gave him a couple of extra moderately warm blankets to pad out his den. 

6 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Well….. I hope you at least gave him a couple of extra moderately warm blankets to pad out his den. 

Den? 

Outside, I said! I'm in the Den. With the fire and the eggnogg 

Motherfucker's out there

:kiss:

Speaking of, a friend of mine bought some fancy ass eggnog yesterday that cost 42 dollars and she was all, this shit better fuck if it costs that much. 

Said fucking would happen indoors, I suspect.

3 minutes ago, JGP said:

Speaking of, a friend of mine bought some fancy ass eggnog yesterday that cost 42 dollars and she was all, this shit better fuck if it costs that much. 

Said fucking would happen indoors, I suspect.

Naw dawg. Classic BoyBrain thinking

How the fuck you gonna fuck with a liquid, even a sliquid like eggnogg? Take that shit outside. Gonna burrr burrr buuuurrrn so good downtown once conditions have, uh, hardened into ice....

Once the roads are, uh, slick

Dangerous, even

Hopefully Biden really Built Back Better the tunnels, yknow what I'm sayin'? 

(I'm 'bout to Christmas with In-Laws, I gotta blow off steam, it's your fault for engaging :P )

2 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

On a tangent, Cartoon Network has been doing a great job trying to make shows for children, but also keeping them entertaining for the parents, with references the children would never get  

There was a whole episode of Gumball based on FF VII. 

They even did Knights of the Round. 

https://youtu.be/ZcBMM3JsOPA

Shame HBO is axing a lot of their animated content for  cheap to produce reality shows about hot people boning.

I think a advantage in some children’s shows is that that they have is how they’re forced to be a bit more clever in how they tackle certain topics. 

21 hours ago, Tyrosh Lannister said:

Why are so many manchildren (aged 30 and above) addicted to entertainment aimed towards children? (Star Wars, Harry Potter, Marvel/DC, kids video games, funkopops, Disney etc) ?

You have managed to mix together things geared towards children and things in general.

Also, entertainment tailored for adults excludes children by design, but it isnt symmetric, so entertainment geared towards kids can be inclusive towards adults. With that being the case, why judge any adult who indulges in the latter? 

Considering the timing of the thread, it’s a bit strange that we’re looking at comic books as some new evidence of  postponed adulthood.  What about the very long history of men and women believing in a sky-daddy who will take care of everything if they’re just obedient enough?

Resisting the responsibilities of life is nothing new.

On 12/24/2022 at 1:57 AM, Tyrosh Lannister said:

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”

― C.S. Lewis

Archived