How is the weather out there?

LongRider

Got down below 0F last night.  Woke up, took a hot shower, went to PT, and got home.  The kitchen sink hot water wasn't flowing.  Nor was the downstairs bathroom.  Upstairs still worked fine, but that's in the middle of the floor plan.

Happily, I cranked the heat up, opened the cabinet doors beneath both sinks, and when I got home about 3 hours later, cranked up the hot water, heard one rumble like an ice plug moved and then all hot water.  First time in 15 years I noticed anything like this, certainly been colder outside.

Colder than Mars, WTF?  The coldest i've ever been in was -32C and it was horrific, i can't imagine what -110f (-78C) feels like. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11713035/Mount-Washington-cold-MARS-wind-chills-dipped-record-110F.html

Edited by BigFatCoward

OTOH was about 50F today, going to play 9 holes of ball golf tomorrow and then a round of disc golf, might approach 60.  60 degree swings in New England outside of July and August are while not regular, not extraordinary either.  I'm happy most of our precipitation fell as rain.  And hoping we don't get feet of snow in March so April golf.

Heading to Florida in a few weeks anyway and talked to a friend who came back from that same area this morning, 75 to 80.  I definitely need more sunshine.

Our biggest city, Auckland (pop. 1.5 million), is just starting to recover from the biggest flooding it's seen in, I think, forever. Now a cyclone (Hurricane, Typhoon depending on what part of the world you're in) is poised to hit on Sunday or Monday and the flood clean-up hasn't finished yet. State of emergency was in place and probably going to be lifted today or tomorrow, but they are keeping it in place now in anticipation of another dose of devastation.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like we're getting hit with a blizzard here in Minny over the next day and a half. They're estimating several areas will see a top five all time amount of snow. Crazy this storm is hitting like half the country while it's over 80 degrees in Atlanta today.

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

we're getting hit with a blizzard here in Minny over the next day and a half.

So is North Dakota -- Fargo registered -21 earlier today.

Here it is a wintery mess mix, now and for the next few days as the bands keep moving over here from the west.  But not snow, here.  However, surely Buffalo is going to be clobbered yet again,.

20 minutes ago, Zorral said:

So is North Dakota -- Fargo registered -21 earlier today.

Here it is a wintery mess mix, now and for the next few days as the bands keep moving over here from the west.  But not snow, here.  However, surely Buffalo is going to be clobbered yet again,.

Thankfully it's not cold here and it should be in the mid 30s for days soon. So yay for flooding!

Also, is it true there's been next to no snow in NYC this year?

“Looks out the window”

Oh good, it stopped snowing overnight. There’s less than a foot of snow, maybe less than 6 inches (15 cm).

My neighbor is shoveling his backyard path. He says it’s wet and heavy. I just checked the weather and it’s -6 C so that surprises me, but there’s a weather warning for a few hours of freezing drizzle starting in an hour, which will change to snow a couple of hours later.

Great. Better get out there and start shoveling.

18 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Sounds like we're getting hit with a blizzard here in Minny over the next day and a half. They're estimating several areas will see a top five all time amount of snow. Crazy this storm is hitting like half the country while it's over 80 degrees in Atlanta today.

Forget Atlanta. It's going to hit 80 here in the NoVA suburbs of DC. Which is insane for February. Also, the high yesterday was about 50 and the high tomorrow will only be 56 (with a low back down to 31 tomorrow night). A truly bizarre one day spike that will likely set the new record here.

My old man had me running to the store like the storm from The Day After Tomorrow was coming in. At one point I was panicking because the lights flickered a few times and I realized I had all this food and these books to wait out the Long Night but no fucking candles! 

That was last night. 

And it's sunny as fuck outside right now. I just got done walking the cat. 

:bs:  

Weathermen are a plot invented by the Chinese to make smrt Amircens fell dum

New snowblower croaked two weeks ago. Old snowblower is only sort of running. Went from having about two feet of side to side clearance on the driveway to about six inches.

Just got back indoors from trying to keep up with the white stuff falling out of the sky - supposed to be about four inches total. That, however, is not my major concern.

Forecast for hereabouts next week calls for most of a foot of snow in a 36 hour period come Monday and Tuesday. I have no idea if this is a local event or something that will sweep the nation.

Consider this your heads up. 

Monday and Tuesday reach up to ~40F here in Michigan, so I'm guessing its mostly local (and if you are in Alaska there is the whole of Canada as a buffer till it reaches us up here in the frozen north of US).

At any rate, we had our big storm yesterday and overnight. School was closed these two days, but the roads have improved significantly. I'd say about 6-8" where I live, a bit more in Northern Michigan and the UP, and a icy/smowy mix south of us. A big mess, but I think this is the last of the 'tough' winter weather for us with mostly smaller storms past this point.

Edited by IheartIheartTesla

8 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

“Looks out the window”

Oh good, it stopped snowing overnight. There’s less than a foot of snow, maybe less than 6 inches (15 cm).

My neighbor is shoveling his backyard path. He says it’s wet and heavy. I just checked the weather and it’s -6 C so that surprises me, but there’s a weather warning for a few hours of freezing drizzle starting in an hour, which will change to snow a couple of hours later.

Great. Better get out there and start shoveling.

I gave up - the snow is frozen solid.

PSA: wear your arctic boots on my property or GTFO. 

I see the official report for Toronto was 17 cm of snow, so about 7 inches. But in the city it drifts off the houses and you end up with a foot or more to shovel in places. I got the front walkways at my house and my brother’s house (we live next door to each other) done and the driveway cleared out. But we started to get drizzle which is immediately freezing because it’s -4 and the temperature is dropping. I need to go out and throw ice melter on the sidewalks.

Again - get braced. If this article is correct, southern CA is possibly looking at a 'snow week' instead of a mere 'snow day.' This mess hits the last day or two of this month and drags on into the first week of March, dumping snow across much of the US. Watch the vids. Prepare.

Another Week Of MASSIVE Snow Totals Headed To The West! (2/26-3/4) (msn.com)