How is the weather out there?

LongRider

On 2/23/2023 at 5:28 PM, IheartIheartTesla said:

At any rate, we had our big storm yesterday and overnight. School was closed these two days, but the roads have improved significantly. I'd say about 6-8" where I live, a bit more in Northern Michigan and the UP, and a icy/smowy mix south of us. A big mess, but I think this is the last of the 'tough' winter weather for us with mostly smaller storms past this point.

This ended up being wrong, I think today's storm was about as bad as last week. We also had that rarest of rare events, thundersnow: Thundersnow - Wikipedia

We’re supposed to get some horrific blend of snow, ice pellets and freezing rain at any moment. Oops, just looked out the window and in the last few minutes a blizzard started. I spoke to a friend who is currently at their house in the country, about an hour and a bit north-west of Toronto, and she told me the snow is so heavy they can’t see the side road their house is on, about 100 feet from the house.

Snow above us, snow below us, snow around us, but I highly doubt there will be any snow on us tonight and tomorrow, when it arrives here.  Rain though, one expects.  The temperature has been dropping since about 4:30 PM, from the lovely afternoon high on a sunny, blue day, of 44 degrees. That was 2 1/2 hours ago, and now it's 38°.  I'd gone out and in the 15 minutes I was in the supermarket the clouds had rolled over that bright blue -- I was wearing sunglasses --  the wind started to come up while the temp started to fall.  One could really feel that difference in that short a time.

New West Coast Blizzard Potentially 'Life Threatening,' Roars Inland (msn.com)

The National Weather Service (NWS) office in Portland, Oregon, reported Monday afternoon that a low-pressure system from the Pacific Ocean is heading inland toward the Oregon and Washington coasts, saying the storm will likely deliver a pounding mixture of rain and snow.

According to the NWS office in Reno, Nevada, the major winter blast is expected to last through Wednesday. Large parts of the Greater Lake Tahoe Area and Mono County, California, are also under a blizzard warning until 4 a.m. PST Wednesday, with 2 to 3 feet of snow predicted.

By early this morning sometime Central Park reported a whopping 1.8" of snow; there was more, but less twice as much at the airports it seems.  Lots of cancelled flights, lots of school closings.  Lots more snow all around us.  Here it's sloppy.  And cold.  But it is winter, still February. 

Spring is in 20 days, I think, and it felt like it today in Kansas. I wore a tank out today and flip flops, a tank, and butterfly shorts yesterday. It’s supposed to be in the upper 50s and 60s with a day even in the 70’s in the upcoming forecast. I’m so glad it was not the normal winter where I live. I feel lucky.

Quite a night here in Arizona.  I can see snow atop every single mountain east of the Valley, every interstate (10, 17, 40) has snow closures, and they are making snowmen on the campus on UofA down in Tucson.

3 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Which beach?

Guardalavaca. I have been coming here off and on since 2002. Wonderful staff here. I am at the Brisas if you know it.

Edited by maarsen

3 hours ago, maarsen said:

Guardalavaca

Glad you're having good weather and enjoying yourself!

I know Holguin pretty well, but not the beaches -- because we never have time.  Sleep in the hotel then go out for more music -- but I've gotten some spectacular photos of the sea and sky at sunrise there!

On that side of the island, we tend to base in Santiago, my second favorite place in Cuba, and bus it for a few days stay in Baracoa, my number one favorite place in Cuba.

Edited by Zorral

Snowmageddon across Ontario right now. Very fast falling snowfall, heavy, wet, “heart attack snow” in the words of the weather reporter. 

And thunder snow! Bangs of thunder and flashes of lightning! Some of the younger folk on my Fb and web pages say they’ve never seen it before.

Rain and thunder. Last night.  Big thunder. Long rain.

Today: still winter in the city, damp, windy, 40 - 43°.  Hey, it is March, so it is what it is.

It's 55° in Madrid, 60°, in Toledo, 66°, in  Corduba, Grenada and Cadiz, 62°, and 68° Seville,  (Spain).

Edited by Zorral

• 5 weeks later...

It’s 7:00 am. All night the wind was howling. For the last half hour we’ve had a violent thunderstorm. I’m 68 and have seen my share of thunderstorms, but I have never heard such violent explosions of thunder. Then rain started, and we had hail briefly. Just looked out the window, and there aren’t any ice pellets on the lawns so the hail couldn’t have been too bad.

It will be interesting to see what damage was caused around the city.

I’m making note of this storm because, truly, I have never before heard the kind of lighting we just had.