Watch, Watched Watching : 2023 is going to be unstable!

TheLastWolf

2023 will be stopped... by 2024. 

The title is apt. 

Rewatched Avatar 2 today. There were six of us this time. Four of the six hadn't seen it yet.

Saw it in 2D this time. Non-IMAX. It just wasn't the same. 

No one bought tickets before we gathered at the theater. We had initially tried a 4:00 pm IMAX 3D show, but it was completely sold out except for the front row; which I was perfectly cool with, but one or two of our group were nervous about this. This was about an hour before screen time.

We opted for a 4:30 "conventional" showing. We ended up dead center, about 4 rows back. The place was packed. 

Side note: If my anecdotal experience is anything to go by, I'd opt for IMAX screenings in the future for the simple fact that the audience is a bit more courteous. I probably heard three or four different cell phones going off today and a few conversations that had nothing to do with the film. The woman next to me actually pulled out her phone at one point. She checked her notifications quickly and put it away. 

People who shell out for IMAX tickets with expectations of having their faces peeled off from the experience tend to leave their other shit at the door maybe. 

6 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

July fellas Oppenheimer and Barbie have started their promotions full swing. But Marty and Co are silent,  that's why impatiently curious. 

10 hours ago, Nictarion said:

May. 

Are you sure, I heard that Apple is trying to screen this at Cannes for the Palm D'or, hence the May premiere. Scorsese's movies usually release late in the year, Oct-Dec.

Watched Roald Dahl's Matilda the Musical, directed by Matthew Warchus, the original director of the musical production. Not a musical theater person, my slight knowledge of it comes only from reading about it when Kerry Ingram was cast as Shireen Baratheon in Game of Thrones (she was one of the four original Matilda's in the first West End run, and shared an Olivier Award with them) and seeing a couple of clips. So, didn't quite know what to expect, other than that twisted Dahl flavor.

Have to say, I enjoyed it, had some cute stuff, some nice songs. Stephen Graham as Matilda's father was a pleasant surprise, he's such a versatile actor. Alisha Weir was appealing as Matilda, very sincere and determined with just the right notes of sadness at times. Emma Thompson's not really a singer but she was very game to do her best as the cruel Trunchbull, though I wonder if they couldn't have done with the Frankenstein's Monster-esque lifts. Lashana Lynch as the sweet and kindly Miss Honey is quite a different role than what she's been doing of late -- a 00 agent, Captain Marvel, etc. -- but she's quite believable as this wilting flower domineered by Trunchbull.

A spoiler for those unfamiliar with Matilda...

Spoiler

Despite knowing Dahl's whimsical use of fantasy in other works, I really didn't expect "telekenipsis" was going to play such a role in the film. I guess this makes it eligible for the Hugo Awards...

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Holy shit:

Only cost $75M-$80M, likely before marketing. Oof.

Daaaaam

I think the trailers for that during football games Inceptioned me into watcing Wolf of Wall Street like a week or so ago. 

1 hour ago, Fire and Jace said:

Daaaaam

I think the trailers for that during football games Inceptioned me into watcing Wolf of Wall Street like a week or so ago. 

The bit of reporting I saw said people just have no idea what the film's about and the stars weren't enough to bring people in. Funnily enough one of my cousins worked on this movie and it's the first one he ever quit on the spot late in the shoot. Apparently the AD he was working under was a total asshole. Guess he's getting the last laugh here.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

The bit of reporting I saw said people just have no idea what the film's about and the stars weren't enough to bring people in. Funnily enough one of my cousins worked on this movie and it's the first one he ever quit on the spot late in the shoot. Apparently the AD he was working under was a total asshole. Guess he's getting the last laugh here.

Even without Avatar, Christmas is a weird time to release a  movie about Hollywood debauchery.  You might have gotten away with that in 1992 or 2002, but not now.  I'm  not a huge fan of the director, and the trailers don't seem like they would interest anyone who wasn't already a film nerd.  With Avatar, it was almost suicidal to release the movie now.

*Extremely petty comment, but why does Margot Robbie, playing a version of Clara Bow, have almost totally modern styling?  No one wore their hair like that, and that red gown is also completely wrong for the era.

59 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Even without Avatar, Christmas is a weird time to release a  movie about Hollywood debauchery.  You might have gotten away with that in 1992 or 2002, but not now.  I'm  not a huge fan of the director, and the trailers don't seem like they would interest anyone who wasn't already a film nerd.  With Avatar, it was almost suicidal to release the movie now.

Not sure why now would be any different than say around Thanksgiving. Films like this get released around the holidays for awards. Just a combination of bad luck from Avatar swallowing everything and the studio doing a poor marketing job. If I didn't have a real connection to this I may not have ever seen the full trailer and if you just go by commercials that are 30 seconds I think most people would have no idea what it's about. They'd just see a lot of big names.

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Not sure why now would be any different than say around Thanksgiving. Films like this get released around the holidays for awards. Just a combination of bad luck from Avatar swallowing everything and the studio doing a poor marketing job. If I didn't have a real connection to this I may not have ever seen the full trailer and if you just go by commercials that are 30 seconds I think most people would have no idea what it's about. They'd just see a lot of big names.

Thanksgiving would have been much better.  No competition with Avatar and has the entire month to potentially build word of mouth, and maybe would even get a 2nd bump at Christmas.  Releasing it now, it's already been, after the first weekend, deemed a flop.  The days of releasing 'serious' movies around the holidays are gone, people don't go out to see them.  They definitely are not going to choose Babylon over Avatar.  I'm not sure even universally great reviews would have saved it with this release strategy.

7 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Thanksgiving would have been much better.  No competition with Avatar and has the entire month to potentially build word of mouth, and maybe would even get a 2nd bump at Christmas.  Releasing it now, it's already been, after the first weekend, deemed a flop.  The days of releasing 'serious' movies around the holidays are gone, people don't go out to see them.  They definitely are not going to choose Babylon over Avatar.  I'm not sure even universally great reviews would have saved it with this release strategy.

Maybe, but we can't ignore that there was a winter storm that seriously impacted large parts of the US. It was below zero here for a week right when it came out and even reports from the south were that it was unusually cold and shitty out.

I think the bigger problem is it's just a film people would rather watch at home. Glass Onion has been the most mentioned film in these threads for the last week with almost everyone liking it and it has only made $15M at the box office since it was released a month ago. 

14 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Maybe, but we can't ignore that there was a winter storm that seriously impacted large parts of the US. It was below zero here for a week right when it came out and even reports from the south were that it was unusually cold and shitty out.

I think the bigger problem is it's just a film people would rather watch at home. Glass Onion has been the most mentioned film in these threads for the last week with almost everyone liking it and it has only made $15M at the box office since it was released a month ago. 

Maybe.  Avatar is succeeding with the same East Coast weather.  I think even if Babylon had great reviews, you're right, a 'serious' film is not what people go to theaters to see anymore.  No one has really figured out the new normal.  Everyone thought Top Gun would flop and that Tom was nuts to demand a theatrial release instead of the couple weeks and then straight to streaming that almost all movies do now.  It turns out,  he was right.  Of course it helps that Top Gun is actually a feel good movie and not an emotional downer like Babylon.  I still think a wide release on Dec. 23 shows they don't know anymore who the audience is because this is just not a movie people will go see on Christmas weekend, its too dark.

32 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Maybe.  Avatar is succeeding with the same East Coast weather.  I think even if Babylon had great reviews, you're right, a 'serious' film is not what people go to theaters to see anymore.  No one has really figured out the new normal.  Everyone thought Top Gun would flop and that Tom was nuts to demand a theatrial release instead of the couple weeks and then straight to streaming that almost all movies do now.  It turns out,  he was right.  Of course it helps that Top Gun is actually a feel good movie and not an emotional downer like Babylon.  I still think a wide release on Dec. 23 shows they don't know anymore who the audience is because this is just not a movie people will go see on Christmas weekend, its too dark.

Avatar is unique. The first was one of the biggest hits ever and fans, especially after hearing it was the same experience as the original, flocked to it.

I'm not sure what the answer is, but more often than not I hear and see stories about how the studios and streaming services are losing money. They might have to just jack up the price and do more VOD. I was fine paying $29.99 for Jungle Cruise to watch with my two roommates. It was still cheaper the going to the theater, we could have better food and pause it when one of us needed to use the bathroom. That's even more appealing for a movie that's three hours long.

2 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

a 'serious' film is not what people go to theaters to see anymore. 

Ya, the gravity of a 3+ hour film with pooping elephants and other excretory scenes kept the serious audience, who could pay up toward $20 to watch, away in droves. :agree: :read:

Of course, tripledemic on top of horrendous weather here, may have contributed to thin ticket buying too.  :dunno:

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

:agree:

Our Flag Means Death, otoh, is hilarious. Both written by Taika Waititi.

Btw, I think I watched Knives Out this past year. I had no idea it had been hyped; I just noted someone recommended it for OMITB fans. That said, I quite liked it. Quirky little murder mystery, playing with the tropes just a bit... So I really should try Glass Onion.

Archived