Watch, Watched Watching : 2023 is going to be unstable!

TheLastWolf

On 12/29/2022 at 10:53 AM, Tywin et al. said:

Avatar is unique. The first was one of the biggest hits ever and fans, especially after hearing it was the same experience as the original, flocked to it.

As possibly one of the few individuals to have not watched a moment of the First film, let alone the second, I'm nominally fascinated that people are into it.

7 hours ago, Zorral said:

I just love this -- have to do something else and thus able to finish it all right now.  But so far, only The Northman gets full credit for accuracy.  Maybe, so far, The Last Kingdom gets the worst! Love all them informing us that leather is just not it most of the time because it makes you sweat and way too horrible to wear, much less in the contexts in we see it in almost all these series.

I criticized The Last Kingdom for its costumes since season 2, I think, and that was when everything else about it was still good. The costumes in the final season were the epitome of production laziness and/or lack of imagination. 

I didn't realize how long this video is when I started watching. I'm gonna have to just watch the segments of the stuff I actually saw this year.

34 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

As possibly one of the few individuals to have not watched a moment of the First film, let alone the second, I'm nominally fascinated that people are into it.

I'd recommend watching it. The story is kind of thin, but even in 2D the visuals are pretty cool. It really is just Dances with Wolves...in space...

49 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'd recommend watching it. 

Zero interest.  I mean, like you said, Dances With Wolves. I've seen that. And yeah, I know the technology is supposed to be cool. But I want some sort of story too. Titanic had a story.   I've never seen the appeal of this series. I even chose not to waste any time in the Avatar Land as Disney World...I mean, why bother if I don't have a vested interest in what it is. (That and the last time I was at Disney, the wait times was around 3 hours for the one ride.)

44 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Zero interest.  I mean, like you said, Dances With Wolves. I've seen that. And yeah, I know the technology is supposed to be cool. But I want some sort of story too. Titanic had a story.   I've never seen the appeal of this series. I even chose not to waste any time in the Avatar Land as Disney World...I mean, why bother if I don't have a vested interest in what it is. (That and the last time I was at Disney, the wait times was around 3 hours for the one ride.)

You've watched dumber shit than Avatar. Give it a chance. 

ETA: The Detective is a very odd film, but I'd still recommend checking it out. 

4 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I also thought the 90's film was compulsory viewing in the UK or has that rule changed? I can still  recite that film line for line as I watch 

Hence the rather large online uproar when everyone realised we were getting it on netflix 6 months after everyone else. 

4 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Yo I'm with you on the anti-Avatar initiative

James Cameron filled my childhood with hope and awesome. That smurf cartoon movie fucking ruined him

How the fuck you can have Giovanni Ribisi, Sigourney Weaver, and Michelle Rodriguez in your movie and I can't stand the sight of it is fucking beyond me. And all of it from my once-favorite director!

GiO- VAn -NI RIBISI !!!!!!!!!

:o

14 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I've watched the first and didn't like it one bit, so I'm not planning to watch the second anytime soon, and trailers certainly didn't help.

Last night we watched The Haunting (1963) for the first time. I can appreciate its charm and it is interesting to compare with the TV show (Haunting of Hill House) literally in architectural terms. I think this is probably one of those occasions where I've seen this too late in life and it's been too hyped up for me to truly enjoy it. So now it stands as one of those films I have ticked off a list. I know that it's an old film but the internal dialogue element of this was the most painful part of it.

Also watched The 39 Steps this week, which was a fairly jolly caper. Another one ticked off the list. I especially loved the bit where the protagonist went to Scotland and literally nobody had a Scottish accent - except the crofter's wife who said she was from Glasgow but sounded like she was from Edinburgh. I bet Scottish people were a bit cross about this when it came out.

Another one that's been on my watchlist for some time that I finally got around to watching was A Cure for Wellness, which was frankly a bit of a waste of Jason Isaacs. It's an interesting idea for a story and it does have some genuinely nightmarish bits. But it is way too long (close to 2.5 hrs) and it also has some gratuitous, tawdry moments which add nothing but a sense of disdain to the film.

Tonight, we finished watching S3 of HDM. I think there is a dedicated thread so I'll save my thoughts for that - apart from jfc episode four was the most traumatic thing I have seen in years. It's funny, we went for a long walk just before we started watching S3 and we were saying, 'oh, what happens in The Amber Spyglass, I can't really remember'... I said: "well, Mary makes the amber spyglass, Asriel and Mrs Coulter fight the authority, and Lyra goes to the land of the dead". I think it must have been one of those things where your brain just sort of erases things which are too horrible and then it pretends that you don't remember them. But deep down you do remember them. Anyway, I had to literally pull the blanket over my head. :ph34r:

Completed watching Ranking 2022 Historical Movies & Shows on Costume Accuracy.  Only 4 or was it 5? made it to the top tier, called Peak, My King, of getting it right.  One of those was Gentleman Jack!  The narrator's breakdown of all the production did right was so informative.  The Korean film, Pachinko, also made it to this top tier.  Half of the Woman King, the Dahomey styles and textiles got ranked top tier, but the European half of design got ranked on the bottom tier, This Ain 't It.

It was refreshing and delightful to have all these costume professionals telling us what is what in their own places, as in Africa, India, China, Japan, Korea, the Philippines, not just from the Anglo-Euro Sphere.  It was disappointing no South American films or series got included.  

Decided to re-watch Knives Out and Glass Onion back-to-back. I really like both, but I have to give the edge to Knives Out. GO has a greater element of luck for the protagonist, and KO's message at the end about good, kind-hearted people deserving to be the winners is clearer and more powerful. But Daniel Craig as Benoit Blanc was more entertaining in Glass Onion.

I watched Knives Out the other night and Glass Onion last night and today. They both baffled me, but Glass Onion was downright bewildering if you got through the first 90 minutes of soul crushing boredom. They both sound and run like a bunch of star-struck 17-year-olds wrote them in mom’s basement. Then I saw that Rian Johnson wrote them and you know I wasn’t surprised much as that sounded about right. I suppose you need a certain type of humor to find the fun in these films as you do with White Lotus and the like. The genre deconstruction and the tonal dissonance that’s taking a drugged roller coaster ride aren’t my cup of tea. It’s also pretty difficult to watch a plot driven film if the plot is a piece of Swiss cheese. But hey, the cinematography was pretty and the a list cast did the best with what they were given. 

My brother got me a 4k steelbook of Terminator 2 for Christmas. 

I've seen it loads of times, but not for about twenty years. I was a bit worried that it might not stand up, but, holy shit, this is still one of the best sci-fi movies ever made. 

The 4k rendering looks amazing. The performances are great. Linda Hamilton absolutely crushes it. And as for Arnie... Well, what an absolute badass.

Such a great movie. 

Archived