Watch, Watched Watching : 2023 is going to be unstable!

TheLastWolf

33 minutes ago, Darryk said:

So more like the Daniel Craig version then?

I think for film (which, let's face it, is where the majority know Bond from), Sean Connery  demonstrates the qualities that people associate with the character, although my favorite is Brosnan.

Craig and Dalton are much more like the character in the book than Connery, Brosnan and Moore.

I watched Nightmare Alley. It was long. Quite a bit longer than it should have been. The acting was first class, the characters were well done but somehow I still felt like the film was lacking something as I didn’t find myself caring about anything or anyone. (Well maybe my own real life experience of that day contributed, but the escapism didn’t really happen). The world is cold dark and gritty, the characters are hard cold and nasty (or there’s no focus on them), the plot is predictable in a good way. It works as human drama which I suppose it aimed to be, but if it’s that and only that why the carnival context. I guess because it’s Del Toro. It was okay, I felt for Bradly Cooper and the second half provided drama and tension to some extent. Not sure what the screen time was spent on, but both Molly and the doctor deserved more of a story of their own. Mixed feelings. 

Then I still had a migraine so I started Wednesday. It’s rather adorable if a little sterile at times which may improve in further episodes. 

On 1/3/2023 at 6:04 PM, Zorral said:

The re-watch of Turn: Washington's Spies continues.  Last night the thought occurred the character of Simcoe, as it's viciousness it is played and presented could make him a convincing ancestor of Succession's Tom Wambsgans viciousness diluted with generations of not really succeeding.

Ooh, I've been watching this show for the first time, only one episode left of S1. Can I ask if the show improves in the next seasons? I enjoy it so far but it seems like 10 episodes a season was a bit much as some plot threads feel like filler or too extended. But maybe that's just an issue with this first season. I do like how the multiple threads come together, although I feel like, while he's a great actor, Jamie Bell's character is not a particular stand out compared to others.

1 hour ago, Lady Anna said:

Ooh, I've been watching this show for the first time, only one episode left of S1. Can I ask if the show improves in the next seasons? I enjoy it so far but it seems like 10 episodes a season was a bit much as some plot threads feel like filler or too extended. But maybe that's just an issue with this first season. I do like how the multiple threads come together, although I feel like, while he's a great actor, Jamie Bell's character is not a particular stand out compared to others.

The first season is the slowest one, particularly for a first watch -- as well, as it is from 2014, by now we're no longer used to a 10 episode season. Remember when that seemed short after having imprinted on shows with 22, and before that even more per season? Another reason the first season may feel slow is because it's doing a painstaking job of setting up who everyone is and their relationships, their past together, where we are and what the stakes are. As even people who were living then and there had some trouble with all that, one can see why the writers would think a contemporary audience might need solid grounding.  In the next seasons we see how good a job they did.

But the pace, and action, continues to increase throughout the show, as more and more is going on, being planned and plotted for the war on the Independence side, and the Brits continue being Brits.  Anna remains a central figure, though how she's central evolves depending on the forces that act on her, and how she pushes back on them.  

I love all the characters.  Last night while finishing up season 2 I was admiring how many characters we do have, how we get to see them all, how the scenes change so often, yet nothing feels rushed or shoe-horned, and there's never a problem following any of it. I'm liking the show even better this time around.  Of course, an adequate amount of time has gone by to make a re-watch really interesting since it is fresh again, and not being seen through the lens or expectations of the first time around.  It feels almost like a different show!

20 hours ago, polishgenius said:

lies

I meant her first Mission Impossible role. And yeah, Hoffman was a good villain. I did like the plane / interrogation scene where he learns Ethan’s name and then threatens his loved ones.

On 1/4/2023 at 9:46 AM, Isis said:

Up to episode four of Archive 81 - a genuinely hair-raising moment in this ep. I must learn to take my own advice though and stop watching this beore bed! :excl: Highly recommend if you like stuff like The Black Tapes podcast, cos it is literally about tapes, demons, hauntings, conspiracies...

I really liked this show. I think Netflix cancelled it after one season though :(

Recently watched Men. I knew from the trailer that it would be disturbing, but I love Rory Kinnear, so I sucked it up and watched. He did not disappoint. Like holy wtaf at the end. WTAF. Loved it.

Also watched Incident in Ghostland. Definitely not a good one to watch if you've been a victim of assault. The sexual assault is implied rather than shown, but the physical violence, against teenage girls mind, is blatant. Talking with someone over xmas who also loooves horror. I mentioned that one and that she probably shouldn't watch it. She said she did. It got quiet for a second, then we moved on to other movies. So yeah, warning.

Watched Freaky the other day. Pretty much a horror comedy Freaky Friday where a teenage girl switches bodies with a serial killer (Vince Vaughn). I'm a sucker for horror comedies, and I loved it. Made by the same guy that did Happy Death Day, another good one, er two, there's a sequel.

Also tried to watch the latest season of Letterkenney on New Year's Day, but I fell asleep. Saw the first episode, Chips, which just seemed sooo Canadian! Then when I woke up, the season was over. Gotta go back and watch it again.

Have the second season of Slow Horses queued up. Waited til it was over so I could watch it all at once!

I've been watching Tulsa King. Not very good but not horrible either, as long as you can suspend belief on how fast some things happen and that one huge coincidence. 

Spoiler

There just happens to be a former mafia guy from his crew living there and he just happens to know that they tried to whack him.

One episode left and I'll forget all about the show until a second season drops, if it gets one.

I’m sure this is all somehow a spoiler. Wait a sec.

wednesday.

Spoiler

Well Wednesday is political. First, my escapism is lost. Second, her arguments are factually wrong. Third, this narrative turns Wednesday into the only feeling, thinking, righteous, passionate and decent character of the cast which is in a bit of a contrast with, well, Wednesday. So who is she? Is she a sadistic, creepy, reserved, emotionally distant, but lovable and entertaining weirdo with dangerous hobbies and interests that freak people out and yet stir morbid fascination with her? Or is she the justice warrior of her story who is assertive and fights bullies and historical legacy for the justice of her kind and her hobby is selflessly solving murder mysteries against the unjust justice system with the help of a severed hand sidekick? Because as much as the show would have us believe the two are not the same. This Wednesday is everything but emotionally distant, unfeeling or reserved and her only quirk is her slightly eccentric style of dressing and speech, which hardly makes her any weirder than Enid or the Queen Bee. 

I suppose we could have played on the therapy more, and used it as a way to bring Wednesday out of her shell but with the result that instead of becoming more social, she just gets more invested in social justice. And then discuss how this escalates to an over the top and out of line extent paired with her morbid and sadistic tendencies. Then do a season 2 to tone it down. Or you can spend season 1 solving murder mysteries out of sheer boredom and morbid curiosity  rather than caring for peers and as she slowly finds human relationships, evoke the sense of justice for them. At this point though Luna Lovegood is weirder than Wednesday, who is more of the Harry Potter of Nevermore based on her role and character. Or a Disney Princess. Righteous rebel in a skirt with a non-human side kick. I think she ticks off all boxes.  Well, I guess we just have to let go and lean into the light hearted hogwarts-esque experience with a pinch of Tim Burton.

I do enjoy Gwendoline Christie as the headmistress and Christina Ricci as the normie teacher, they both seem to enjoy their characters so much. I wonder if there are other actual teachers though. Because I have only seen these two gals so far and that fencing coach for half a minute. 

Oh and just so we don’t gloss over the positive side, the shots are stunningly beautiful, lovely cinematography and lovely costume design too. Acting is quite alright as well, especially with the “adult” cast.  And I do enjoy the sidekick a lot. 

On 1/4/2023 at 1:03 PM, dbunting said:

I think this has been the best Disney series by far, but like you I didn't really care for the characters too much. Another season and I'm sure they will grow on me. 

I stuck with Andor and watched the rest of the series.  It’s worth the effort to get to episodes 10 & 12 (including the post-credits scene).  Unfortunately, I still don’t know who I’m supposed to be rooting for.

On 1/5/2023 at 7:58 PM, Zorral said:

The first season is the slowest one, particularly for a first watch -- as well, as it is from 2014, by now we're no longer used to a 10 episode season. Remember when that seemed short after having imprinted on shows with 22, and before that even more per season? Another reason the first season may feel slow is because it's doing a painstaking job of setting up who everyone is and their relationships, their past together, where we are and what the stakes are. As even people who were living then and there had some trouble with all that, one can see why the writers would think a contemporary audience might need solid grounding.  In the next seasons we see how good a job they did.

But the pace, and action, continues to increase throughout the show, as more and more is going on, being planned and plotted for the war on the Independence side, and the Brits continue being Brits.  Anna remains a central figure, though how she's central evolves depending on the forces that act on her, and how she pushes back on them.  

I love all the characters.  Last night while finishing up season 2 I was admiring how many characters we do have, how we get to see them all, how the scenes change so often, yet nothing feels rushed or shoe-horned, and there's never a problem following any of it. I'm liking the show even better this time around.  Of course, an adequate amount of time has gone by to make a re-watch really interesting since it is fresh again, and not being seen through the lens or expectations of the first time around.  It feels almost like a different show!

Thank you for your reply. I didn't think the show was slow per se but that it didn't have enough plot to fill 10 episodes so some subplots in some episodes seemed to me more like filler than establishing material. I think they did a great job at juggling the separate threads and woving them together.

With regards to the characters, I'd like to see more of Major Hewlett. I'll definitely continue watching.

12 hours ago, Teng Ai Hui said:

I stuck with Andor and watched the rest of the series.  It’s worth the effort to get to episodes 10 & 12 (including the post-credits scene).  Unfortunately, I still don’t know who I’m supposed to be rooting for.

Wait, what? Hint: It's not the evil empire.

1 hour ago, Lady Anna said:

I'd like to see more of Major Hewlett

You will - he gets more interesting boost in the second season too.  His character, as acted and written, was one of the elements I appreciated so much more this second viewing.  Not having to wait a year between seasons helps with this!

I'm starting season 3 this weekend.

Finished Wednesday. It’s a narrative mess. I’m inclined to say it’s more of a mess than Glass Onion. It was moderately entertaining, I liked the music, the sets, the costumes, the atmosphere, the supporting characters, the sidekick, most of the acting. The themes are a mess, the plot is a mess, Wednesday’s character is a mess and there isn’t a drop of consistency in the entire story. Yes, it has the Tim Burton touch which probably elevates it to float above whatever abomination The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina was. But it also has Netflix all over it and we know what that means. Way way way way way way WAY overrated and overhyped. I mean for crying out loud, compare this thing to Buffy for just one sec. Oh that summer Buffy binge. Happy days. 

16 minutes ago, Zorral said:

You will - he gets more interesting boost in the second season too.  His character, as acted and written, was one of the elements I appreciated so much more this second viewing.  Not having to wait a year between seasons helps with this!

I'm starting season 3 this weekend.

Burn Gorman is so good!

I finished S1 and I thought it was a pretty good finale. The last scene at Abe's House was brilliant. I think my least favourite part of the season was the Robert Rogers subplot, but otherwise it was good. Definitely looking forward to S2.

4 minutes ago, Lady Anna said:

I think my least favourite part of the season was the Robert Rogers subplot,

I think it is because it's more difficult to wrap our minds around a Scot being a baddie in that era.  Maybe we can blame Claire Fraser for that?  :D

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

Wait, what? Hint: It's not the evil empire.

My thinking while watching this series was like this: If these characters run for political office, who would I vote for?  Not the guy who has sacrificed everything for the cause, including his conscience.  Not the guy who committed 2 homicides in the first episode.  YMMV

To anyone who's been avoiding Vikings: Valhalla because of Michel Hirst...

Stop.

It's much better than Vikings. Which makes sense because, as far as I can tell, Hirst isn't involved in the writing. The script is tight as a seal's bunghole, and the cast are mostly excellent. The production is much more lavish, and they're dealing with an interesting period in English history.

Really enjoyed the first two episodes. And Season 2 drops in a few days.

Archived