Watch, Watched Watching : 2023 is going to be unstable!

TheLastWolf

29 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

Elvis was a terrible film. Probably the worst one I saw last year. Unfortunately, it had the kernel of a great movie in it.

I'm glad I'm not alone in this then. It seemed to have been raved about as one of the movies of the year. Not sure why.

You are right because there is some good stuff in there, you can tell that Baz is mostly interested in the music numbers and the glitz and glam, because the only time I actually enjoyed the movie was when there was some sort of performance happening. It did however make me spend an hour on YouTube after, watching the real thing, and then you realise there is no substitute for that. This Elvis movie is a bit like one of those crappy stage shows where they include all of an artists greatest hits and but done by musical performers and its just worse. This is like.. Mamma Mia or something.

New to the big screen this past weekend, I got to watch Puss in Boots - The Last Wish. Easily a candidate for top 5 on the Dreamworks animated list. Future viewings may see this rise into the top 3. Puss may be my favourite Banderas character, surpassing Ahmed Ibn Fahdlan (13th Warrior) and El Mariachi (Desperado). All the fabled characters are excellent and the balance between villains and frenemies worked really well.  
What a blast, that was fun. Recommended. 

2 hours ago, Veltigar said:

had a blast watching The Menu. I love all the actors in it, but Ana Taylor Joy and Nicholas Hoult in particular are two of my favorite actors working today. Couple that to the fact that I also adore fine dining, I thought it was a wonderful combo.

Nicholas Hoult was brilliant. I used to dislike him a lot in earlier movies, then I watched The Great and realized he was born for dark/weird comedy. For me he was the (most) entertaining part of The Menu. 

3 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

Nicholas Hoult was brilliant. I used to dislike him a lot in earlier movies, then I watched The Great and realized he was born for dark/weird comedy. For me he was the (most) entertaining part of The Menu. 

Same, I liked him in About a Boy but as he grew up that act became a little grating. I think he found his niche in The Great as a total arsehole.

16 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

I watched The Menu the other day and thought it was solid. Nothing crazy and some things were predictable but I was entertained. 

Hide contents

The fire scene at the end reminded me of the one from Midsommar.

Spoiler

Interestingly I actually thought of Midsommar quite a lot during the movie. Something about it reminded me of Midsommar even though they're completely different subject matter.

We started Severance but my wife was bored to death after the first 10-15 minutes.  I’ll have to find time to watch this myself, I guess.  The what’s-going-on-here? kind of mystery is fine as a genre but the opening tension is very low and the pace is very slow.  There wasn’t much to grab attention to care about the mystery or to engage with as the mystery gradually unfolds.

Slow Horses felt pretty generic and slow paced over the first two episodes too.

Whitstable Pearl didn’t make much impression either.  IMO, the indistinct mumbling by the primary male character, presumably meant to be a tough, macho growl, requires too much effort to parse amid a banal and non-compelling plot.  If you create a bland series for background viewing, then don’t have a primary character be incomprehensible.

2 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

He was the one I wanted to die most.

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

He's great in everything he does.

Really looking forward to Renfield, with Hoult in the title role, and Nic Cage as Dracula.

Same. The concept sounds amazing. The early pics of Cage as Dracula are hilarious.

5 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

We started Severance but my wife was bored to death after the first 10-15 minutes.  I’ll have to find time to watch this myself, I guess.  The what’s-going-on-here? kind of mystery is fine as a genre but the opening tension is very low and the pace is very slow.  There wasn’t much to grab attention to care about the mystery or to engage with as the mystery gradually unfolds.

Have to say I was ready to give up on it after the first episode. I got what was going on but it didn't seem that interesting and was rather slow. Glad I stuck with it though because it ended up being almost my fave show of the year

5 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Slow Horses felt pretty generic and slow paced over the first two episodes too.

That's because there was not enough Gary Oldman in them. But I think it's about right, the third episode is where the real juicy stuff kicks off.

Started watching The Future Man today. How have I not heard about this show? I put it on thinking it would just be a cheesy sci-fi show to have on in the background while I was working. The opening scene, I was like meh, but then the scene in the video store...Ended up, uh, not working and just watching it (gotta make up the time). Pretty funny!

I watched the 6-episode show The Rig on Amazon. It's sort of The Expanse on an oil rig. Not a bad thriller show, helped by the presence of actors like Iain Glen and Owen Teale. I thought the first half was solid, but got shaky with the plot in the second half. Brave ending though, so I wonder if this is meant to be ongoing.

2 hours ago, Tyria said:

Started watching The Future Man today. How have I not heard about this show? I put it on thinking it would just be a cheesy sci-fi show to have on in the background while I was working. The opening scene, I was like meh, but then the scene in the video store...Ended up, uh, not working and just watching it (gotta make up the time). Pretty funny!

The first season of this show is amazing. Season 2 blows. Season 3 was solid but never reached the heights of season 1.

2 hours ago, Teng Ai Hui said:

I had an urge to watch a childhood favorite, Slap Shot.  It was still a lot of fun, though some of the name-calling wouldn't be allowed nowadays.  Those duck team movies can gtfoh.

The fashion show always kills me. :lol:

We won’t talk about your Mighty Ducks slander! 

I watched Men at the weekend and it was kind of what I was expecting really. The cinematography was great, another reason I wish I had seen it at the cinema. Really enjoyed it. 

Spoiler

I must say that the bit with the severed arm was super grim. Very effective but just so much ick.

Finally getting round to the new season of Strike. I'm not sure how good it would be without the 2 main actors being so compelling, though I do hope they finally bang this season.  Will they/won't they has to be the most boring trope in TV.

Archived