Watch, Watched Watching : 2023 is going to be unstable!

TheLastWolf

On 1/9/2023 at 7:26 PM, Mexal said:

The first season of this show is amazing. Season 2 blows. Season 3 was solid but never reached the heights of season 1.

I finished it. Mostly agree. Season one was def the best, season two was ok, and came around again in season three. But yeah, season one was ridiculously fun.

Just now, Tyria said:

I finished it. Mostly agree. Season one was def the best, season two was ok, and came around again in season three. But yeah, season one was ridiculously fun.

When Wolf goes to the 80s... one of the best episodes of television I've seen.

On 1/10/2023 at 9:08 AM, Isis said:

I watched Men at the weekend and it was kind of what I was expecting really. The cinematography was great, another reason I wish I had seen it at the cinema. Really enjoyed it. 

Reveal hidden contents

I must say that the bit with the severed arm was super grim. Very effective but just so much ick.

Double post coz I failed at multi quote...

Yep, to the hidden quote. So messed up. For me it was (lets see if I can spoiler) uhh nope

4 minutes ago, Mexal said:

When Wolf goes to the 80s... one of the best episodes of television I've seen.

Yeah, as an 80s kid, it was fantastic. Still laughing at "I fucked you with your own dick" :lol:I have a group of friends that get together weekly to watch a show. I mentioned this one, but I didn't describe it very well, so I showed them a trailer. It's on the list, and I can't wait to watch it again!

Just now, Tyria said:

Yeah, as an 80s kid, it was fantastic. Still laughing at "I fucked you with your own dick" :lol:I have a group of friends that get together weekly to watch a show. I mentioned this one, but I didn't describe it very well, so I showed them a trailer. It's on the list, and I can't wait to watch it again!

That sounds so familiar. I watched the first two episodes and loved it, tried to describe it to my wife and she was like "fuck off". Several months later, I just put it on for her and she has since been obsessed. She told me I did the worst job of selling a show in the history of show discussions.

Watched Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio. Very nice. Not the greatest stop-motion animated film I've seen, but it's full of heart and soul, and I have to say young Gregory Mann gives Pinocchio the sweetest, most guileless voice ever. David Bradley (Walder Frey!) as Geppeto was also good. Ewan MacGregor as Sebastian Cricket was ... fine? Some funny stuff, but del Toro returned to the well of "bug go splat" joke one time too many. Cate Blanchett as the monkey puppeteer Spazzatura -- who communicates almost entirely in squeaks and laughs -- was an insane choice, but apparently she was so eager to work with del Toro again after Nightmare Alley that she insisted on taking the job (she does also voice a couple of puppet characters).

The choice to backdrop it against fascist Italy was an interesting one, making a various obvious comparison to Del Toro's Pan's Labyrinth, but I'm not quite sure it's as successful on a a narrative level. 

41 minutes ago, Ran said:

The choice to backdrop it against fascist Italy was an interesting one, making a various obvious comparison to Del Toro's Pan's Labyrinth, but I'm not quite sure it's as successful on a a narrative level. 

I watched this with my mum over Christmas and we thought it overpowered the core story of Pinocchio too much and there were too few moments of symbiosis between the themes. Interesting choice. Too much darkness for my taste too. 

anyway. It’s arrived, it’s here, it’s happening. Angel is good. No, it’s excellent. Excellent to the same level as Buffy. 19 episodes in, but it’s happened. 

40 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

anyway. It’s arrived, it’s here, it’s happening. Angel is good. No, it’s excellent. Excellent to the same level as Buffy. 19 episodes in, but it’s happened. 

You are going to love the shit out of Season 2. 

For watchers who enjoy Prime's Bosch, the first 3 - 4  mid-aughts made for television movies adapted from Robert . Parker's Jesse Stone novels are available to stream these days, also like Bosch, on Prime.

https://www.radiotimes.com/movies/jesse-stone-movies-order/

These Tom Selleck acted, produced, directed Jesse Stones are very good, with big characters, lovely location, plots and stories, good production value. They haven't aged out (if one ignores covid).  Why do I think Bosch comparison in particular?  Good dogs! 

Ha!

I went to the theatre to see Avatar 2: The Way of Water in IMAX 3-D.  Going in with low expectations, I have to admit I was mostly pleasantly surprised. It's definitely better than its predecessor, although it does not manage to improve enough on some fronts to really make it into a film that is worth revisiting outside of the confines of a state-of-the-art movie theatre.

Visually it remains stunning and I would say is even better than its predecessor. I liked the acting much more in this film. It is still not great, but they significantly reduced the screen time of Sam Worthington, which does wonders for the quality level of the film. Particularly since his human form has been eliminated, so it's all mo-cap work, which he seems to be somewhat better at.

The dialogue is often cringeworthy and the plot is still not great. There are some tantalizing glimpses of greatness that are never sufficiently explored, but I do hold out hope for the future. It seems Cameron is slowly moving away from the humans = always bad and Na'Vi = always good example largely set in the first film. I wonder whether he is going to built on that further in future instalments. Anyways, story wise I don think Avatar 2 was already a step up from the first film, so I hope they'll be moving in that direction for the next films.

16 hours ago, dog-days said:

I loved Farewell My Concubine when I watched it ten years ago. I wasn't expecting a mash-up of 1984 with traditional Chinese opera, but it worked very well. 

Yikes, I didn't know that was the plot summary, but given the massive rise in surveillance in China over the last two decades that film was probably very prescient. 

31 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Almost finished The Musketeers tv series in my historical tv/film watch. Next up will be Black Sails!

What did you like best about The Musketeers?  (Loved the series myself; also loved large parts of Black Sails, but some, not.)

7 hours ago, Veltigar said:

The dialogue is often cringeworthy and the plot is still not great. There are some tantalizing glimpses of greatness that are never sufficiently explored, but I do hold out hope for the future. It seems Cameron is slowly moving away from the humans = always bad and Na'Vi = always good example largely set in the first film. I wonder whether he is going to built on that further in future instalments. Anyways, story wise I don think Avatar 2 was already a step up from the first film, so I hope they'll be moving in that direction for the next films.

Yes, he said in an interview that Avatar 3, which has already been filmed, will feature yet another Na'Vi tribe referred to as the 'ash people' and they are not so good, but it's unclear how evil they are. And the movie will include good humans, too.

18 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

Finished Three Pines.

1. HA, I knew it!

2. Enjoyed it quite a lot.

3. I'm guessing

Reveal hidden contents

there won't be a season 2... Shit.

4. Nice soundtrack.

I enjoyed it as well despite being slightly put off by the the first episode. I wasn't expecting the quirky, almost eccentricity of Armand's character (along with some of the symbolism) in the first episode but he and the Three Pines community grew on me as a whole. I wasn't totally satisfied with the Season 1 ending even though it's not quite a cliffhanger but doesn't leave you with the full resolution either. I'm hopeful for a season 2.

(Saul) Indian Horse

Streaming on Netflix currently.

Sobering, gut wrenching story of an indigenous boy who loses his family and has to endure the viscious, abusive, existence within the residential schools system.

He finds his release as a gifted hockey player, but the scars are lifelong.

MUST see, if you are uneducated about this aspect of N.American history.

Archived