Watch, Watched Watching : 2023 is going to be unstable!

TheLastWolf

11 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

The third movie would have been a satisfying conclusion to the "Passion of Ellen Ripley" trilogy, but it had a troubled production and it definitely shows. 

The 4th movie tries to return to the action-adventure vibe of the 2nd. I don't think it really succeeds. Prometheus and Covenant have their fans, but they don't really measure up.

The less said about the AvP movies, the better. 

Aliens is a very different movie from Alien.  It is also, IMO, a better film (or at least much more rewatchable), although they are both great. 

Alien 3 is a strange flawed movie.  It was directed by David Fincher, who has done some great films (Seven, Fight Club, Social Network), and at times he does some interesting things, but this movie made some really inexplicable decisions that really hamstring everyone's enjoyment of it.  A lot of what makes the first two movies enjoyable and interesting is missing in this film.

Alien Resurrections is a very poor retread of the second movie.  If you loved Aliens you can check it out for completeness sake, but there's no need. 

Prometheus is one of the most enraging movies I've ever seen.  I don't usually get fanboyish about sequels crapping all over my interpretation of the franchise, but this movie was the exception. 

3 hours ago, Zorral said:

Attempted season 2 of Vikings Valhalla, but couldn't be interested to finish watching even the first episode.  I was rather hoping the second season would have some sizzle, now that they had some experience.  But, well, no.  Just ... inert.  Might as well be a chunk of featureless ice stalled in the Greenland Sea.

I ended up enjoying it, it goes in fun directions when they spend most of the season sledding/sailing down the Dnieper with a bunch of people with secret identities trying to get to Constantinople.  I couldn't help but think of Sailing To Sarantium.  The Jomsberg plotline is good too.

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

It was directed by David Fincher, who has done some great films (Seven, Fight Club, Social Network), and at times he does some interesting things, but this movie made some really inexplicable decisions that really hamstring everyone's enjoyment of it.

Should be noted Alien 3 was Fincher's first theatrical effort - he came up directing commercials and music videos.  Probably not the best choice to try to handle a major franchise previously shepherded by Ridley Scott and James Cameron, but Fincher quickly made up for it.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Should be noted Alien 3 was Fincher's first theatrical effort - he came up directing commercials and music videos.  Probably not the best choice to try to handle a major franchise previously shepherded by Ridley Scott and James Cameron, but Fincher quickly made up for it.

Who could survive the way they started that movie?

45 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Well, it was bold, I guess?  All the Aliens movies have something to recommend them, but obv. the first two are miles above any of the rest. 

Did you ever finish Breaking Bad?

11 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Well, it was bold, I guess?  All the Aliens movies have something to recommend them, but obv. the first two are miles above any of the rest. 

I just think you lose a lot of people by killing the adorable kid offscreen to start it. It was hard to get emotionally invested in it after that.

The 4th Alien movie is stupid, but I still love it.

Did you ever finish Breaking Bad?

I watched the first four seasons and will knock out the fifth eventually. Honestly at this point the characters are just not likable at all, oddly outside Hank who I initially didn't like, but's grown on me. Well and Saul, he's always great from the moment he's introduced.

The two bald assassins were also fucking awesome! Very No Country for Old Men vibes with them.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Yeah, Fincher got smacked around pretty hard on that film. He's basically disowned it. He had no part in the "Assembly Cut" that was released a few years ago and doesn't talk about it in interviews. 

That said, There are parts of the assembly cut I like a lot (the prologue for example) and the theatrical cut (the dog works better than the cow). A hybrid of the two would be pretty good. 

I also like the rousing speech she gives. "What make you think they're going to care about a bunch of lifers who found God at the ass end of space?" is basically my personal philosophy.

29 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Yeah, Fincher got smacked around pretty hard on that film. He's basically disowned it. He had no part in the "Assembly Cut" that was released a few years ago and doesn't talk about it in interviews. 

That said, There are parts of the assembly cut I like a lot (the prologue for example) and the theatrical cut (the dog works better than the cow). A hybrid of the two would be pretty good. 

I also like the rousing speech she gives. "What make you think they're going to care about a bunch of lifers who found God at the ass end of space?" is basically my personal philosophy.

Like Brian said, it's not a bad film, it's just not anywhere near the quality of the first two and I'm guessing a lot of people hated the beginning so much that they couldn't give the rest of it a fair shake. I'd be curious to see what Fincher would do if he got a second chance to make it.

7 hours ago, Zorral said:

Re-watched the 1962 Lawrence of Arabia

It does strike me that Rogue Warriors is chocked full of characters who are, or think they are, or who want to be, Lawrences of Arabia for WWII.

I watched the first 2 episodes of the new Night Court and was disappointed.  Melissa Rauch just doesn’t have enough charisma to carry a show like Harry Anderson did.  Also, they butchered its theme song, which was a classic.

I think it's hard to describe the abject disappointment I felt watching Aliens 3 for the first time. I must have seen Aliens 30 times by that point, having taped it off the tv. Me and my mate were so hyped up about it and all the cool shit that was going to happen, given that we loved the whole 'nam aesthetic in the last movie.

What we got basically ticked every box designed to piss us off. Almost no guns, little violence, killed off the cool solider character Hicks in the first couple of minutes. Boring prison stuff and long conversations.

Very bad for a teenage boy hooked on shooting aliens. 

These days I don't hate the movie, on it's own it's probably a decent movie and if it had no connection to Aliens I think people would be reminiscing about it in the way they weirdly do over movies like Event Horizon

49 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I think people would be reminiscing about it in the way they weirdly do over movies like Event Horizon

Probably the scariest movie I've ever seen, but I was probably around 9-10 at the time.

51 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I think it's hard to describe the abject disappointment I felt watching Aliens 3 for the first time. I must have seen Aliens 30 times by that point, having taped it off the tv. Me and my mate were so hyped up about it and all the cool shit that was going to happen, given that we loved the whole 'nam aesthetic in the last movie.

What we got basically ticked every box designed to piss us off. Almost no guns, little violence, killed off the cool solider character Hicks in the first couple of minutes. Boring prison stuff and long conversations.

Very bad for a teenage boy hooked on shooting aliens. 

These days I don't hate the movie, on it's own it's probably a decent movie and if it had no connection to Aliens I think people would be reminiscing about it in the way they weirdly do over movies like Event Horizon

The extended cut is interesting as they actually capture the alien, until one of the prisoners goes nuts and lets it out. I think the theatrical version basically stitched together the attempt to capture it with it being lured to the furnace.

It’s not a bad film per se, but killing off Hicks and Newt after all they went through in Aliens ultimately sours it.

Apparently part of the reason there were no guns was that Weaver wanted none as she advocates gun control. Which is a weird film to push gun control, because running around being chased by a xenomorph, I’d want a gun

I guess this is the best place to post the breaking news, Baldwin is going to face involuntary manslaughter charges from the tragedy on the set of Rust. I highly doubt he'll be found guilty, but it's still rather shocking news.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Probably the scariest movie I've ever seen, but I was probably around 9-10 at the time.

Along this line, for me it was some horror movie where trees come to life and like grab you with their branches and basically absorb you. It was in the 70's, I was 5 years old and was not supposed to see it.  The movie was bad and probably not scary to an adult, but as a 5 year old who watches it and then has trees outside his window that brush against the side of the wall and window as the wind blows, that was f'ing terrifying! 

28 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Along this line, for me it was some horror movie where trees come to life and like grab you with their branches and basically absorb you. It was in the 70's, I was 5 years old and was not supposed to see it.  The movie was bad and probably not scary to an adult, but as a 5 year old who watches it and then has trees outside his window that brush against the side of the wall and window as the wind blows, that was f'ing terrifying! 

Yeah, same experience with the original IT. IIRC I saw it starting at midnight when I was around the same age. So freaky.

Archived