Watch, Watched Watching : 2023 is going to be unstable!

TheLastWolf

32 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Along this line, for me it was some horror movie where trees come to life and like grab you with their branches and basically absorb you. It was in the 70's, I was 5 years old and was not supposed to see it.  The movie was bad and probably not scary to an adult, but as a 5 year old who watches it and then has trees outside his window that brush against the side of the wall and window as the wind blows, that was f'ing terrifying! 

Is that called The Guardian or something? Sounds familiar 

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I guess this is the best place to post the breaking news, Baldwin is going to face involuntary manslaughter charges from the tragedy on the set of Rust. I highly doubt he'll be found guilty, but it's still rather shocking news.

This is wild. Can someone explain why Baldwin is facing charges, but the person who put a live gun in his hand is not? 

5 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

This is wild. Can someone explain why Baldwin is facing charges, but the person who put a live gun in his hand is not? 

The person who declared the gun safe (it's not clear if he gave it to him directly or Baldwin grabbed it, but either way) pled guilty already. The armourer who is ultimately responsible for gun safety on set is also facing charges.

18 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

The person who declared the gun safe (it's not clear if he gave it to him directly or Baldwin grabbed it, but either way) pled guilty already. The armourer who is ultimately responsible for gun safety on set is also facing charges.

She's got a pretty good out too. First of all, she was way too young and inexperienced to have the final call in that role, and she claims she made requests to improve safety that were ignored. My guess is everyone is telling a half truth while also covering their own ass. This probably just ends in a large financial settlement with the not famous people never getting work in the industry again.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Yeah, same experience with the original IT. IIRC I saw it starting at midnight when I was around the same age. So freaky.

I watched Watership Down aged about 5-6ish, parents used the telly as babysitter for me, so put on a cute cartoon about bunny rabbits...

3 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

I watched Watership Down aged about 5-6ish, parents used the telly as babysitter for me, so put on a cute cartoon about bunny rabbits...

I didn't happen across this until I was older, I think 9 or 10 and it still horrified me

3 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

Had to look this one up. While I wouldn't say this is the same thing as seeing an adult horror film as a kid, there was a lot they let us watch that were cartoons that were probably too adult for 10 year olds. Animated Pinocchio was fucked up iirc. And they shot Bambi's mom! 

8 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

4 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I didn't happen across this until I was older, I think 9 or 10 and it still horrified me

Same. I can't remember how old I was but it was something else. It's a good thing it wasn't a double feature with Plague Dogs or kids would have been jumping out windows.  

There's a more recent Watership Down adaptation on Netflix. I haven't seen it but it looks interesting. 

7 minutes ago, DMC said:

The only two things I remember actually scaring me as a kid were The Shining and Unsolved Mysteries.  Also Virgin Suicides when I was on a bad trip, but I don't think that counts.

I remember seeing 2001 on CBC when I was a kid. More accurately, My parents were watching it and I was there when it happened. I wasn't the cool kid at my school who was a Kubrick devotee by the time I was six.

I remember the scene after the Stargate sequence really unsettled me. especially the frail old man pondering the broken glass on the floor. There was something extremely threatening about it to me. 

6 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I remember seeing 2001 on CBC when I was a kid. More accurately, My parents were watching it and I was there when it happened. I wasn't the cool kid at my school who was a Kubrick devotee by the time I was six.

I don't think I saw 2001 until I was about 12.  If I saw it at six it might have scared me, sure.

10 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

I was about the same age. The blacl rabbit gave me nightmares.

When I was four turning five, Inwas on the oil tabker my dad worked on, for three months. Saw Dianonds are Forever (the opening scenes freaked me lit), Wrath of Khan (the Khan worms!), and some horror film with a guy butchering peolple with a pick-axe.

3 hours ago, DMC said:

The only two things I remember actually scaring me as a kid were The Shining and Unsolved Mysteries.  Also Virgin Suicides when I was on a bad trip, but I don't think that counts.

Mine was Fire in the Sky. Anyone who’s seen it knows exactly which scene.

On 1/18/2023 at 1:28 PM, Which Tyler said:

Pretty low bar for all 3 of those sequels to trip over

The original Top Gun is a classic. An artefact of big hair, big jets and 'Murica. If we ever launch another Voyager mission, we should replace the Golden Record with a blu-ray of Top Gun :P

On 1/18/2023 at 7:14 PM, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Largely dormant franchises at that. Puss in Boots 2 unfortunately got swamped by Avatar at the box office, but it's still doing pretty well all things considered. 2022 was a pretty brutal year for bg screen animation. I read some blurb about every Dreamworks film outgrossing every Disney/Pixar film this year. I don't know. 

And to think Top Gun 2 came that close to going direct to streaming. 

The bolded would have been a crime. Best IMAX experience I have ever had. I can't imagine how much you lose by watching that at home.

Archived