Watch, Watched Watching : 2023 is going to be unstable!

TheLastWolf

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

To anyone who's been avoiding Vikings: Valhalla because of Michel Hirst...

Stop.

It's much better than Vikings. Which makes sense because, as far as I can tell, Hirst isn't involved in the writing. The script is tight as a seal's bunghole, and the cast are mostly excellent. The production is much more lavish, and they're dealing with an interesting period in English history.

Really enjoyed the first two episodes. And Season 2 drops in a few days.

Really? I don't remember liking this at all. Maybe my memory is clouded.

18 hours ago, Teng Ai Hui said:

I stuck with Andor and watched the rest of the series.  It’s worth the effort to get to episodes 10 & 12 (including the post-credits scene).  Unfortunately, I still don’t know who I’m supposed to be rooting for.

I think those 2 episodes in particular tell you that you're supposed to root for the common people, and that implicitly for the characters who represent them.

On 1/5/2023 at 11:11 PM, Tyria said:

I really liked this show. I think Netflix cancelled it after one season though :(

Recently watched Men. I knew from the trailer that it would be disturbing, but I love Rory Kinnear, so I sucked it up and watched. He did not disappoint. Like holy wtaf at the end. WTAF. Loved it.

Finished Archive 81 last night. I found the last episode to be less satisfying than I wanted it to be. As with so many shows I wish they would just do a single series with a SATISFYING conclusion instead of leaving things too open and then surprise surprise it gets cancelled by Netflix. Anyway, I would still recommend it.

I still need to see Men. It was showing at the cinema round the corner from our house and I had planned to go on one day and then for some ridiculous reason we didn't end up going to see it after all. It stopped showing after that day. :( 

OHH, it's available on Prime now? I'll watch it this weekend. 

9 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Finished Wednesday. It’s a narrative mess. I’m inclined to say it’s more of a mess than Glass Onion. It was moderately entertaining, I liked the music, the sets, the costumes, the atmosphere, the supporting characters, the sidekick, most of the acting. The themes are a mess, the plot is a mess, Wednesday’s character is a mess and there isn’t a drop of consistency in the entire story. Yes, it has the Tim Burton touch which probably elevates it to float above whatever abomination The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina was. But it also has Netflix all over it and we know what that means. Way way way way way way WAY overrated and overhyped. I mean for crying out loud, compare this thing to Buffy for just one sec. Oh that summer Buffy binge. Happy days. 

Yes, I gave up on it after three episodes. It had visual style, but that was all it had. Narrative drive, emotional authenticity, humour rather than self-conscious irony: all missing. 

2 hours ago, dog-days said:

Yes, I gave up on it after three episodes. It had visual style, but that was all it had. Narrative drive, emotional authenticity, humour rather than self-conscious irony: all missing. 

And plot. I’ve never been on so many wild goose chases in a 8-episode story in my life. And the storylines that were entirely dropped and forgotten after they were introduced. The more time I process it, the worse it was. And now I get my sister’s recommendation which went “oh yeah that was good. So shit that it’s good. There’s an article about how they are trying to figure out why it’s so successful.“ 

14 hours ago, dbunting said:

Really? I don't remember liking this at all. Maybe my memory is clouded.

Maybe it was because I went into it with really, really low expectations, but as I said, I'm enjoying it so far. 

The cast is excellent. Particularly the actors playing Lief, Harald, and Freydis. The chemistry between these three is great. And after some of the shows I've watched recently, it's nice to have actors who can actually act. As well as writers who can write. 

Haven't noticed any overt silliness yet. I'm aware there are people out there who will automatically mark this show down due to the cast not being dirty enough, or ugly enough, or the fact that everyone is clad in leather and wearing eye-liner. I couldn't care less about anything like that.

I'm here for the story. And so far it's decent.

I watched the first couple of episodes of Netflix's Kaleidoscope. I think the whole "episodes can be watched in random order" thing seems a bit gimmicky, although so far the order it's showing me them seems to work well enough. As a heist story it seems okay so far, although nothing special.

1 minute ago, williamjm said:

I watched the first couple of episodes of Netflix's Kaleidoscope. I think the whole "episodes can be watched in random order" thing seems a bit gimmicky,

That's exactly what I thought, and the reason I won't be bothering with it. 

16 minutes ago, williamjm said:

I watched the first couple of episodes of Netflix's Kaleidoscope. I think the whole "episodes can be watched in random order" thing seems a bit gimmicky, although so far the order it's showing me them seems to work well enough. As a heist story it seems okay so far, although nothing special.

Didn’t Arrested Development try this and it was a bit of a disaster 

Finished S2 of Alice in Borderlands. It is one of the best live-action adaptations of a manga that has ever been and is incredibly faithful to the stories, characters and style of the manga. Some of the episodes were incredibly good, especially some of the more game-focused ones. 

I'm not sure I liked the ending but I am not sure any ending would have been particularly good; much like Lost the whole 'what is the thing they're in' is not nearly as important as what the characters do when given these situations. And unlike Lost they never promised a particularly strong ending nor was the whole reasoning behind it ever given a lot of narrative weight. 

Elvis is an odd movie.

Reminds me of something said about Zach Synder movies: that he doesn’t film ‘scenes’ , he films ‘moments’. Like everything in his movies is some AWESOME EPIC MOMENT, usually slow mo or a montage.

I thought Baz Luhrmann was better than that, but this felt like a Synder movie. It’s exhausting to watch, the camera never sits still, it’s zooming in and out, there is never a moment it stops and just breathes. Everything is part of some montage or voice over, or a ‘moment’

I can’t say I enjoyed it at all, I wanted to like it, but for a movie about Elvis it never made Elvis into a person, nobody felt real, because Lurhmann seems more interested in cool visual and epic moments than human emotion and depth. 

All the MI movies are fluff and I need more than that in a spy film - they also completely blend into each other, especially the last 3-4.

Just gonna keep watching Bourne Supremacy till the end of time, really.

Really looking forward to watching Pale Blue Eye later today

1 hour ago, Darryk said:

The Menu (2022) is a fun movie. You definitely want to go in knowing nothing about it.

Agree it really enjoyed it. I think it is much more of a mainstream movie than I anticipated, it was marketed as a bit more arty and high brow, but I think anyone would like it 

Archived