What Would Jon do When he Learns he was Born of Rape?

Corvo the Crow

1 minute ago, kissdbyfire said:

Yeah, very good point. Wasn’t that the reason he was so keen on having Tywin become his hand? 

Admittedly, a lot of aristocrats seem pretty unfazed about killing children.  Apart from Ned and Arya, no one’s at all bothered about Mycah, for example.

1 minute ago, EggBlue said:

yeah . for all their hatred for one another , Tywin and Aerys truly suited each other .

It just proves how stupid he was to alienate Tywin.  Like Joffrey, Aerys was stupid as well as vicious.

Just now, kissdbyfire said:

Yes, a match made in the 9th Circle of Hell. 

I’m sure Tywin happily presided over the slaughter at Duskendale.  The specific punishment inflicted on Serala sounds like the sort of thing he would suggest.

On 12/29/2022 at 3:51 AM, Corvo the Crow said:

Would he, after saving the world, take his own life as a final sacrifice for humanity so Targaryens line will end once and for all, ensuring there will no longer be Mad Kings, child murderers, rapists, pyromaniacs, incest bastards warring for claims etc. troubling the good people of Westeros? What would he do with his new found aunt Dany who idolizes the rapists Rhaegar and Pyromaniac Aerys the Mad King who murdered his uncle and grand father and calls his uncle and adoptive father Ned who has been caused much sorrow and grievance by a usurper's dog? Would he immediately send Edd to fetch a block to remove this threat against humanity before she can cause more damage, and do her a favor as well by not allowing her to go madder than she already is?

Perhaps more importantly, what will YOU do when you find out he isn't?

On 12/29/2022 at 10:52 AM, kissdbyfire said:

Brandon + Lyanna has absolutely zero support in the text. It’s just a silly attempt by some in the TARGA* camp to force some sibling incest in the Stark family tree because they know it’s vile and disgusting and they’re not happy the Targs are the only ones practicing it.

All true.  But what if GRRM agrees with them?

17 minutes ago, Gilbert Green said:

All true.  But what if GRRM agrees with them?

If he did we’d get at least a few clues, hints, seeds, something, and we don’t. So the only way for him to go there is to do an asspull, and that’s definitely not his style. 

HappY New Year everyone!!!:cheers:

14 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

For instance, in the example below, there is no reason to believe the children of those families (Darklyn & Hollard) were spared. The opposite in fact, since we learn that Dontos was the only one to be spared. 

There is no reason to believe there was other children but Dontos, this is a book made to and for slandering Aerys, had he killed children we would have known with details, lots of them.

13 hours ago, SeanF said:

We also know that Aerys rewarded Tywin for the massacre of the Reynes, where children certainly perished.

I mean did he rerward him? When the Reynes died, Aerys's father was king  and he is only made Hand years later.

It seems to me that both the Crown and the Great Lords collectively decided not to make a big fuss about it and let the matter rest.

13 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Wasn’t that the reason he was so keen on having Tywin become his hand? 

Among the reasons certainly.

4 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

They were best buddies until Tywin married to Joanna, which Aerys didn't "appreciate".

well , it was a dick move to marry his best friend's former lover! I give Aerys that! 

and by the way , I just remembered that Steffon Baratheon was their besty too ! I guess he couldn't have been such a great person after all 

10 hours ago, Ring3r said:

Perhaps more importantly, what will YOU do when you find out he isn't?

I’m not really a fan of the view that some families’ blood is “tainted”, even if it is an in-universe prejudice.

Everybody has the capacity for good or evil.

1 hour ago, EggBlue said:

well , it was a dick move to marry his best friend's former lover! I give Aerys that! 

and by the way , I just remembered that Steffon Baratheon was their besty too ! I guess he couldn't have been such a great person after all 

Now I wonder was it before or after he “returned” from Essos that Tywin proposed Cersei.

Ser Jon Hollard the Steward was wed to Lord Denys's sister and died with his wife, as did their young son, who was half-Darklyn. Robin Hollard was a squire, and when the king was seized he danced around him and pulled his beard. He died upon the rack. Ser Symon Hollard was slain by Ser Barristan during the king's escape. The Hollard lands were taken, their castle torn down, their villages put to the torch. As with the Darklyns, House Hollard was extinguished."

"Save for Dontos."

"True enough. Young Dontos was the son of Ser Steffon Hollard, the twin brother of Ser Symon, who had died of a fever some years before and had no part in the Defiance. Aerys would have taken the boy's head off nonetheless, but Ser Barristan asked that his life be spared. The king could not refuse the man who'd saved him, so Dontos was taken to King's Landing as a squire. 

With the king escaped and safe, there was nothing left for Lord Darklyn save surrender, but it is doubtful he knew the terrible revenge that the king intended. When Darklyn and his family were presented to him in chains, Aerys demanded their deaths—and not only Darklyn's immediate kin but his uncles and aunts and even distant kinsmen in Duskendale. Even his goodkin, the Hollards, were attainted and destroyed. Only Ser Symon's young nephew, Dontos Hollard, was spared—and only then because Ser Barristan begged that mercy as a boon, and the king he had saved could not refuse him

So two houses were extinguished (distant kinsmen included), and a single orphan child, whose father had been dead before the defiance, survived only because the hero of the day, who had risked his life to single-handedly rescue the king, asked this as a boon and the king couldn't refuse him.

The traitors want my city, I heard him tell Rossart, but I'll give them naught but ashes. Let Robert be king over charred bones and cooked meat. The Targaryens never bury their dead, they burn them. Aerys meant to have the greatest funeral pyre of them all. Though if truth be told, I do not believe he truly expected to die. Like Aerion Brightfire before him, Aerys thought the fire would transform him . . . that he would rise again, reborn as a dragon, and turn all his enemies to ash.

Totally not willing to kill children. 

Happy new year, everyone! :cheers:

46 minutes ago, Julia H. said:

Totally not willing to kill children. 

No one who has read the text could say that Aerys was not willing to kill children. That is not the same as saying that he did kill children.

Which he did not as far as we can tell. So of all Aerys's crimes infanticide is the one he canont be seriously accused of.

7 minutes ago, frenin said:

No one who has read the text could say that Aerys was not willing to kill children. That is not the same as saying that he did kill children.

Which he did not as far as we can tell. So of all Aerys's crimes infanticide is the one he canont be seriously accused of.

Well he was about to do it with his plan to blow up King's Landing with wildfire. 

Archived