Elmar Frey + Arya Stark

Aline de Gavrillac

On 12/29/2022 at 9:37 AM, Aline de Gavrillac said:

The Starks swore to honor this marriage.  The war is over.  A negotiated settlement where the Starks are allowed to return to the north and the Riverlands are returned to the Tullys.  The living Starks are back in Winterfell and it is time to pay Lord Walder.  Arya cries and throws a tantrum.  Do you believe Robb Stark will honor the promise to Lord Walder?  He should, in my opinion.  The Starks have a solemn obligation to marry Arya to Elmar.  But do you think he would?

I have my doubts.  Robb would no longer need the Freys and that is the kind of man he was.  Robb doesn't do things for ethical reasons.  Robb does what he feels like doing.  And then tries to spin it as honor.  Just more Stark hubris.   

• 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, The Lord of the Crossing said:

That people valued a man's oath is proof most people do not break theirs.  Walder never expected another lord to break a sworn oath.  Robb did and it is a dishonor. 

It is a dishonor, but marriages pacts are broken. Frequently. Robb gave them a perfectly replacement in his uncle, but the. The treacherous weasels broke a sacred law that no one but the sickest deviants ever breaks. 

2 minutes ago, Lord Edmure of Riverrun said:

These people are deliberately obtuse. Honestly I’m ashamed that I even engaged them.

I find them more amusing than anything, but I can't help but think they're throwing constant temper tantrums over their incorrect interpretations of fictional characters. :P

At least there's some entertainment to be had in engaging sometimes! Don't feel bad for correcting nonsense.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2023 at 9:48 PM, King_Tristifer_IV_Mudd said:

It is a dishonor, but marriages pacts are broken. Frequently. Robb gave them a perfectly replacement in his uncle, but the. The treacherous weasels broke a sacred law that no one but the sickest deviants ever breaks. 

The circumstances were not your typical marriage pact.  Walder committed his family and soldiers to Robb.  His heir as well as many of their men died for Robb.  Then Robb betrays them by breaking his oath.  You don't just trivialize what Robb did.  Robb was a total scum.  He apologized later but only after he realized he needed the Freys again. 

13 minutes ago, The Lord of the Crossing said:

The circumstances were not your typical marriage pact.  Walder committed his family and soldiers to Robb.  His heir as well as many of their men died for Robb.  Then Robb betrays them by breaking his oath.  You don't just trivialize what Robb did.  Robb was a total scum.  He apologized later but only after he realized he needed the Freys again. 

And you don't just trivialize what Walder Frey did either.  He violated one of the most sacred oaths in Westeros.  An oath that made Davos feel safe even from a man he regarded as a "robber-lord and breaker".   Worse than robber-lords and breakers; that's the Freys for you.

Archived