How do the Faceless Men NOT know about Arya

King_Tristifer_IV_Mudd

4 hours ago, Gilbert Green said:

Just because they are evil does not mean they are omniscient. 

Maybe they know, maybe they don't.

If they know, whether and to what extent they care is an open question.  Yes, she has violated their rules  But it is not as though they are actually against murder, or anything like that.

I don't think they are evil.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2022 at 2:02 AM, Aebram said:

I've wondered about this myself from time to time. Arya thinks that the Faceless Men don't know that she still has Needle hidden away, or that she can see in the dark by warging cats, or that she has a psychic connection to Nymeria. But is she correct? The FM have centuries of experience with magic.

I think it's possible that at some point, she will decide to escape from (or desert?) the FM and go back to Westeros. But I wonder if she will get away with it. The FM could easily find her and kill her, if they want to ... Or could they? Have they ever had to kill one of their own? Can a Faceless Man defend himself against other Faceless Men? 

The majority of Arya's time with the FM is Arya spying and Intel gathering. So why wouldn't they know about Arya's abilities?

Arya's wolf dreams are physical. She recalls Brusco's daughters telling her she growls at night while she dreams. Why wouldn't the FM pick up on that as well when she is living in the HoBW?

Also, Arya has a meeting with another FM she has never spoken to before, she calls him Plague Face:

“Who are you?” plague face asked when they were alone. “No one.”

“Not so. You are Arya of House Stark, who bites her lip and cannot tell a lie.”

“I was. I’m not now.”

[...]

“Why are you here, liar?”

“To serve. To learn. To change my face.”

“You lie. I can see the truth in your eyes. You have the eyes of a wolf and a taste for blood.”

Ser Gregor, she could not help but think. Dunsen, Raff the Sweetling. Ser Ilyn, Ser Meryn, Queen Cersei. If she spoke, she would need to lie, and he would know. She kept silent.

“You were a cat, they tell me. Prowling through the alleys smelling of fish, selling cockles and mussels for coin. A small life, well suited for a small creature such as you. Ask, and it can be restored to you. Push your barrow, cry your cockles, be content. Your heart is too soft to be one of us.”

He means to send me away.

They are always watching her:

She padded up the steps as naked as her name day, clutching Needle. Halfway up, one of the stones rocked beneath her feet. Arya knelt and dug around its edges with her fingers. It would not move at first, but she persisted, picking at the crumbling mortar with her nails. Finally, the stone shifted. She grunted and got both hands in and pulled. A crack opened before her.

"You'll be safe here," she told Needle. "No one will know where you are but me." She pushed the sword and sheath behind the step, then shoved the stone back into place, so it looked like all the other stones.

As she climbed back to the temple, she counted steps, so she would know where to find the sword again. One day she might have need of it. "One day," she whispered to herself.

She never told the kindly man what she had done, yet he knew.

1 hour ago, MissM said:

The majority of Arya's time with the FM is Arya spying and Intel gathering. So why wouldn't they know about Arya's abilities?

Arya's wolf dreams are physical. She recalls Brusco's daughters telling her she growls at night while she dreams. Why wouldn't the FM pick up on that as well when she is living in the HoBW?

Also, Arya has a meeting with another FM she has never spoken to before, she calls him Plague Face:

They are always watching her:

I’ll add that the FM didn’t pick Brusco at random as well. 

On 12/29/2022 at 2:38 PM, KingEuronGreyjoy said:

Like she isn’t being sly at all. She straight up violated their rules by murdering the old man and Daeron. She obviously hasn’t let go of her identity as Arya Stark. 

I can’t see how an organization like the FM don’t notice it. So it makes me think they have some kind of plan for her. Otherwise they’d stop training her and kill her.

Oh they have big plans for Arya.  They put up with her untrustworthy nature and betrayal.  Find a thread called Arya's dark heart where it is theorized she will burn King's Landing.  The FM are preparing Arya to carry out the deaths of millions.  

On 12/29/2022 at 8:38 PM, KingEuronGreyjoy said:

Like she isn’t being sly at all. She straight up violated their rules by murdering the old man and Daeron. She obviously hasn’t let go of her identity as Arya Stark. 

I can’t see how an organization like the FM don’t notice it. So it makes me think they have some kind of plan for her. Otherwise they’d stop training her and kill her.

Long ago archived analysis of mine about Arya and the FM:

Yeah, they know.  For sure.  They know and they're training her anyways.

The problem is that her recruitment was an accident.  Meeting Jaquen was blind luck.  Sure, he recognized something in her, but still....this whole thing didn't start as a plan.

Anyways, they've got her now and they likely know she's a Warg...her blind training seemed fully intended to force her to grow in Warg ability, so what do they intend to do with her?  I doubt very much it will play out anything at all like the show.  The only thing I can think of is that she's being trained to assassinate a specific person.....and given the history of Braavos and Valyria, I have to assume they intend to aim her at Dany, and probably Faegon as well once his Targ claims become known.

I think her first job in Westeros will to be to take Missandei's face to get close to Dany.  The two girls are of a similar size so the transformation should work very well.

It will probably backfire on them once Jaquen learns of Jon's true heritage though.  He's bound to find out of Sam finds out.  Their rule against assassinating somebody you know will make her unsuited to the task of totally eliminating the Valyrian bloodline, which I think is their ultimate goal.

Archived