US Politics: Speaking to Insanity

DMC

Still feels like we are in conversation with our friends in the UK.  Rounds of inconclusive balloting among party faithful to elect a compromise candidate?  CHECK.  Immediate ability to no confidence the vegetable actually elected?  CHECK....  Whoever gets in, we should figure out our lettuce equivalent. 

7 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

They won't get any Democratic votes.  But I do think that if this thing drags on long enough that Democratic attendance will drop from 212, which might allow someone to sneak in with a lower threshold of votes. 

Not sure why you think Dem attendance is more likely to drop than GOP attendance. 

4 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Still feels like we are in conversation with our friends in the UK.  Rounds of inconclusive balloting among party faithful to elect a compromise candidate?  CHECK.  Immediate ability to no confidence the vegetable actually elected?  CHECK....  Whoever gets in, we should figure out our lettuce equivalent. 

OK I get all the checks.  But figuring out an alternative to lettuce is simply un-American.  Unless you're talking about beef or cheese.

2 minutes ago, Fez said:

Not sure why you think Dem attendance is more likely to drop than GOP attendance. 

I guess because the Republicans are actually involved in making a decision, rather than just voting for Jefferies over and over and over again. 

10 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

Now there is some nonsense (?) circulating that when the House Speaker vote blows up, the House Clerk - a black gal appointed by Pelosi - could fill in until the matter is resolved.

We don't use 'black gal' these days, and certainly not in this kind of context.  Or any context actually.  Just like we don't call women 'broads', 'birds,' etc.

~~~~~~~~~

As for the questions as to whether Santos is an actual US citizen, quite a few are looking into that now.

7 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I guess because the Republicans are actually involved in making a decision, rather than just voting for Jefferies over and over and over again. 

But by continuing to vote, Democrats get to extend the humiliation and embarrassment among Republicans. That's a powerful motivator. Also, there is that slim chance Democrats do get to be involved. And lastly, the longer this goes, the more draining and demoralizing it becomes for Republicans; making it more likely a few do throw their hands up and walk away.

37 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

That is offensive to recess, the best subject in school.

Field trips to amusement parks would like a word!

Anyways, I hope we get something even more exciting today. And we need some title bets!

18 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

George Santos (if that is in fact his name) is doing his “perp walk” into the US Capitol:

Well deserved, and look how flustered he got lol

Some of the fundraising emails I've been getting from Trump lately are now asking for donations to the Trump Defense Task Force instead of to his presidential campaign or a PAC.  Can such as "Task Force" legally be part of the campaign? Or would it have to be a separate legal entity? And if it's a separate legal entity, would the laws governing donations to it be different from those regarding donating to a political campaing? Just wondering. 

OFFICIAL CORRESPONDENCE FROM THE OFFICE OF DONALD J. TRUMP

Ck,

The Democrats just don’t get it.

They don’t get that when they come after Donald J. Trump that people who love freedom rally around him and our movement. It only strengthens him. What doesn’t kill President Trump only makes him stronger. 

Please contribute ANY AMOUNT to the Trump Defense Task Force in the NEXT 24 HOURS and claim your 1000%-IMPACT.

Americans know that he pushed for 20,000 troops to prevent violence on January 6th and that he went on television and told everyone to go home. They know that the Democratic Bureau of Investigation - the DBI - are out to keep Donald J. Trump from running for President in 2024 because they know he’ll win and that this whole business of prosecuting him is just like impeachment was — a partisan attempt to sideline our movement and the Republican Party.

The Fake charges made by the highly partisan Unselect Committee of January 6th have already been submitted, prosecuted, and tried in the form of Impeachment Hoax # 2. DONALD J. TRUMP WON convincingly. This is a Double Jeopardy!

We need to FIGHT BACK, Ck. We need YOU to join the Trump Defense Task Force!

Remember, we’ve activated an EMERGENCY 1000%-IMPACT.

Please contribute ANY AMOUNT to the Trump Defense Task Force in the NEXT 24 HOURS and claim your 1000%-IMPACT.

https://image.email.donaldjtrump.com/lib/fe2d11727364047f731178/m/2/7aed4d27-dee2-4372-8078-63f905af12ed.png

CONTRIBUTE $20 = $220 >>

CONTRIBUTE $15 = $165 >>

CONTRIBUTE $10 = $110 >>

CONTRIBUTE $5 = $55 >>

CONTRIBUTE ANY AMOUNT >>

Thank you,

Team Trump 2024

Paul Gosar officially nominated Andy Biggs as a candidate for Speaker, and Matt Fuller (journalist) noted at least 11 Republicans applauding. That would suggest 13 Republicans at minimum voting against McCarthy.

McCarthy said that he expected 20 (20!) to vote against him on the first ballot according to leaks of his remarks. 

If he was trying to lower expectations, I suspect he was too late.  If 20 do actually vote against him, I struggle to see how he can come back.  What does he have left to offer to allow a face-saving flip?

1 hour ago, DMC said:

OK I get all the checks.  But figuring out an alternative to lettuce is simply un-American.  Unless you're talking about beef or cheese.

I thought about a Big Mac or a Little Debbie Snack Cake, but that isn't even a fun bet.  Maybe an ear of buttered corn?

Archived