US Politics: Speaking to Insanity

DMC

4 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

I'm inspired by Ted Liu.  Movie Theatre buttered popcorn.

We've reached an accord.  New Democratic leadership already getting things done.

7 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

I'm inspired by Ted Liu.  Movie Theatre buttered popcorn.  That's a heart attack in a bucket there.

You snobby East coast elite. The Midwest can soak that corn in butter, dip it in chocolate sauce and then deep fry it.

Freedumb!!!!

Here are the defectors:

Republicans that voted For Rep. Andy Biggs (Ariz.):

Biggs

Dan Bishop (N.C.)

Andrew Clyde (Ga.)

Eli Crane (Ariz.)

Matt Gaetz (Fla.)

Bob Good (Va.)

Paul Gosar (Ariz.)

Ralph Norman (S.C.)

Scott Perry (Pa.)

Matt Rosendale (Mont.)

Voted for Rep. Jim Jordan (Ohio):

Lauren Boebert (Colo.)

Michael Cloud (Texas)

Anna Paulina Luna (Fla.)

Mary Miller (Ill.)

Andy Ogles (Tenn.)

Keith Self (Texas)

Voted for Rep. Jim Banks (Ind.):

Josh Breecheen (Okla.)

Voted for Rep. Byron Donalds (Fla.)

Chip Roy (Texas)

Voted for former Rep. Lee Zeldin (N.Y.)

Andy Harris (Md.)

You'd think at least McCarthy could get the Jordan votes considering, ya know, Jordan voted for McCarthy.

48 minutes ago, Fez said:

AOC has now had extended conversations the house floor with both Gaetz and Gosar. Oh to be a fly on that wall.

Annoying thing about Gosar is now that there's a Greg Casar as a member of the squad I need something like a Josh Lyman congressional facebook to keep things straight.

....Ok, fine.  That's, like, the 1765th most annoying thing about Paul Gosar.

2 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

McCarthy said that he expected 20 (20!) to vote against him on the first ballot according to leaks of his remarks. 

If he was trying to lower expectations, I suspect he was too late.  If 20 do actually vote against him, I struggle to see how he can come back.  What does he have left to offer to allow a face-saving flip?

Daily flogging of speaker by anyone who wants to? Kevin licking their boots non-figuratively once a day?

29 minutes ago, DMC said:

You'd think at least McCarthy could get the Jordan votes considering, ya know, Jordan voted for McCarthy.

I noted 19 defectors on your list, and as of now Jordan already has 19 votes for Speaker in round 2 (and they are up to the W's with about 30ish votes outstanding). McCarthy will probably get less votes this time around.

Having just watched a bit of the second vote on TV, I am a bit mystified as to how anyone is allowed to vote for Jim Jordan. In every organization I have been a member of that votes on who its leaders will be, someone nominated for an office must ACCEPT the nomination before you can vote for them. Why doesn't the US House of Representatives have such a rule? This makes them look even stupider IMHO. 

4 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Having just watched a bit of the second vote on TV, I am a bit mystified as to how anyone is allowed to vote for Jim Jordan. In every organization I have been a member of that votes on who its leaders will be, someone nominated for an office must ACCEPT the nomination before you can vote for them. Why doesn't the US House of Representatives have such a rule? This makes them look even stupider IMHO. 

Idk, him kind of cucking Kevin was him inviting a nomination. 

7 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Idk, him kind of cucking Kevin was him inviting a nomination. 

Whatever. If the House had sane rules, he would have had to specifically state "I accept the nomination" before anyone could vote for him.

Speaking of compromise Speakers,

no details on the deal yet, but interesting stuff out of Ohio. Looks like 22 (of the 67 total) Republicans in the state legislature joined with all 32 Democrats to elect a compromise Republican as Speaker.

Just now, Fez said:

Looks like 22 (of the 67 total) Republicans in the state legislature joined with all 32 Democrats to elect a compromise Republican as Speaker.

Wow.  That sort of thing happens in Alaska because Alaska has always been pretty eccentric politically, but to happen in Ohio is a big surprise.  I wonder how it will work out. 

6 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Whatever. If the House had sane rules, he would have had to specifically state "I accept the nomination" before anyone could vote for him.

I guess I just view it as part of the dance. He did the classic "we need to support the leader while also, look, I'm clearly a better option." Saying he was a candidate would be a mere formality. 

Archived