US Politics: Speaking to Insanity

DMC

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I guess I just view it as part of the dance. He did the classic "we need to support the leader while also, look, I'm clearly a better option." Saying he was a candidate would be a mere formality. 

I know he may well have major personality deficits, but if he really wanted people to think he was a better option, he should have voted for himself after he was nominated.

Just now, Ormond said:

I know he may well have major personality deficits, but if he really wanted people to think he was a better option, he should have voted for himself after he was nominated.

Or its the classic "Caesar refusing to be crowned three times" and is trying to appear above it all but will "reluctantly" accept power when he's needed.

Although I suspect he really doesn't want to be Speaker, since it'll set a very definite countdown to his resignation. Far easier to be a bomb-thrower from the sidelines.

4 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Slide your moral, ethical shoes off my friend and slip on a pair meant for a sneaky, backstabbing guy. They're trying to undermine McCarthy first. Damaging him is important.

Why have enemies with friends like these? :P

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Slide your moral, ethical shoes off my friend and slip on a pair meant for a sneaky, backstabbing guy. They're trying to undermine McCarthy first. Damaging him is important.

Why have enemies with friends like these? :P

And I don't see why voting for himself, to get the votes against McCarthy up to 20 (symbolically the difference between 19 and 20 being a lot greater than the difference between 18 and 19 or 20 and 21), wouldn't have damaged McCarthy more. 

8 minutes ago, Ormond said:

And I don't see why voting for himself, to get the votes against McCarthy up to 20 (symbolically the difference between 19 and 20 being a lot greater than the difference between 18 and 19 or 20 and 21), wouldn't have damaged McCarthy more. 

But would it have helped him? Gaetz did he dirty work while Jordan could claim a flase pretense of loyalty.

Not sure it matters though because I cannot actually see Jordan becoming Speaker.

11 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

But would it have helped him? Gaetz did he dirty work while Jordan could claim a flase pretense of loyalty.

Not sure it matters though because I cannot actually see Jordan becoming Speaker.

It's not just Ohio, some crazy stuff just went down in the Pennsylvania legislature today too. As a reminder, Dems won a 102-101 majority in November, but 1 Dem died and 2 resigned so the GOP has a nominal 101-99 majority until the 3 special elections are held (which are all expected to be easy Dem holds). One is scheduled for Feb. 23 and the other 2 aren't scheduled yet.

So with that background, no one knew what today would bring with the new legislature sworn in. Well, after hours of who-knows-what talks on the floor, a back-bencher Democrat was just elected Speaker with all 99 Democrats and 16 Republicans voting for him. And said back-bencher has announced they will become an independent and not caucus with either party. It's an Aaron Sorkin plot come to life!

After the 3 special elections are held, maybe Dems try again to get their first choice for Speaker elected, but that would require the new Speaker to step aside. Which might not be very likely.

4 hours ago, Zorral said:

We don't use 'black gal' these days, and certainly not in this kind of context.  Or any context actually.  Just like we don't call women 'broads', 'birds,' etc.

~~~~~~~~~

As for the questions as to whether Santos is an actual US citizen, quite a few are looking into that now.

I’m curious to see whether he is or not. Either way, the case against him in Brazil is being reopened. It seems they didn’t know where he had buggered off to, and guess what? Now they do.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2023/01/03/george-santos-brazil-check-fraud/

And there is an extradition treaty, so could be interesting.

Seeing republicans in such shitshow disarray is a thing of beauty. 

3 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

But don't congresspeople have immunity?

No idea how that works. But even if they do, wouldn’t it be only against prosecution in the US? I mean, one country can’t give immunity against prosecution in another country. I suppose what they can do is to deny the extradition request? 

Even if congress people have immunity from extradition, etc., he isn't a congress person.  He won't be until there's a Speaker to swear him in.  If he turns out not to be a US citizen  he cannot be a congress person either.   Part of the rules are one has to be 25 years old, a citizen for least 7 years and reside in the district represented.  It's more than unclear Santos resides in his representative district.  In fact, it's getting hard to find where his residence is.

6 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

No one will sit near George Santos… if that is his real name:

Unfortunate thing for him is if he wants friends he'd have to cozy up with the crazies...but then that would make him unelectable in his district.  Mayhew 1974 all day every day kids! 

3 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

McCarthy's people

their promise to not back down

I need more popcorn

It's basically become a pissing contest with both sides claiming the other wants to help the democrats. This is great comedy.

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It's basically become a pissing contest with both sides claiming the other wants to help the democrats. This is great comedy.

.....You realize Horse is just writing haikus right?

Archived