US Politics: Speaking to Insanity

DMC

Their endgame, as They've always said, is to destroy the federal government. They have succeeded. No governance now. It's not They want a different Speaker. They don't want any Speaker. They don't want government. Even if there comes to be a Speaker They will still be throwing wrenches into the gears.  Which means the US goes into default which puckers the entire global economy. They win.

4 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Which means the US goes into default which puckers the entire global economy. They win.

LOL no.  If you think this is a win for the far right you haven't been paying attention.  The far right could have had their win, but they've chose even more chaos than expected.  Divided government is always difficult, but the far right has just divided their own role in divided government.  That's unequivocally good for the Dems - and the left - as long as they can realize it. 

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

It's basically become a pissing contest with both sides claiming the other wants to help the democrats. This is great comedy.

Poor Kevin. I don't think this is the Politico headline he was looking for today.

After Another Failed Vote, McCarthy’s Speaker Bid Is Starting to Look Pathetic
A purely transactional approach to politics can only get you so far, especially in today’s Republican Party.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/01/03/mccarthy-speaker-vote-fail-00076248

Also - and to be clear this is not directed at anybody in particular - I am proud to be an American. 

Not in the Hulk Hogan way, but....kind of?  Is the US the greatest country on earth?  Of course not, not by any metric AND not even close on all those metrics.  Is nationalism an especially dangerous thing to espouse when it comes to Americans?  Of course it is, I lived through the aughts and know more about that than probably anybody reading this.  Is the US - politically, socially, and culturally - on a precipice?  You betcha.  I'm 37 years old.  Tell me when it hasn't during my lifetime.

But that's all chin music.  We all live in shitty countries, for the most part.  Can we do better?  Absolutely!  SHOULD we do better?  Daniel Bryan YES!  But this is my country, and I've been everywhere around it.  Rural, cities, suburban, exburban, you name it.  I love the people all over --- which means, bottom line, I love people.  I hate admitting that because I'm reflexively antisocial, but I would fight and die for you whether you were American or whatever else.  I don't got a lot going on.  

Which is the point of this annoying exercise.  I'm proud to be an American because to me that means you can be whatever you want to be.  That's the America I love and will fight for, will die for.  And I'm really sick of people telling me I still can't do that.  Because we so totally can.

I don't like generalizing.  But I also don't like how this forum shits on my country as if any others are much better.  USA fuckers!

32 minutes ago, DMC said:

LOL no.  If you think this is a win for the far right you haven't been paying attention.  The far right could have had their win, but they've chose even more chaos than expected.  Divided government is always difficult, but the far right has just divided their own role in divided government.  That's unequivocally good for the Dems - and the left - as long as they can realize it. 

YOU'RE WORKING FOR THE DEMS!

NO YOU'RE WORKING FOR THE DEMS!

Meanwhile, Democrats are sitting back, kicking up their feet and laughing. We'll see what tomorrow brings, but today was a blast.

28 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Poor Kevin. I don't think this is the Politico headline he was looking for today.

After Another Failed Vote, McCarthy’s Speaker Bid Is Starting to Look Pathetic
A purely transactional approach to politics can only get you so far, especially in today’s Republican Party.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/01/03/mccarthy-speaker-vote-fail-00076248

Obviously I don't see the same world as Kevin, but wouldn't most people recognize that it's not worth it anymore? It's like being CEO of Disney for a month while the board is openly trying to murder you. Okay, awesome, I guess and you can say you did that, but the plane has already fallen out of the sky and everyone sees it's going to crash into the volcano. The parachute is theoretically still there. Why stay?

5 minutes ago, DMC said:

Also - and to be clear this is not directed at anybody in particular - I am proud to be an American. 

Not in the Hulk Hogan way, but....kind of?  Is the US the greatest country on earth?  Of course not, not by any metric AND not even close on all those metrics.  Is nationalism an especially dangerous thing to espouse when it comes to Americans?  Of course it is, I lived through the aughts and know more about that than probably anybody reading this.  Is the US - politically, socially, and culturally - on a precipice?  You betcha.  I'm 37 years old.  Tell me when it hasn't during my lifetime.

But that's all chin music.  We all live in shitty countries, for the most part.  Can we do better?  Absolutely!  SHOULD we do better?  Daniel Bryan YES!  But this is my country, and I've been everywhere around it.  Rural, cities, suburban, exburban, you name it.  I love the people all over --- which means, bottom line, I love people.  I hate admitting that because I'm reflexively antisocial, but I would fight and die for you whether you were American or whatever else.  I don't got a lot going on.  

Which is the point of this annoying exercise.  I'm proud to be an American because to me that means you can be whatever you want to be.  That's the America I love and will fight for, will die for.  And I'm really sick of people telling me I still can't do that.  Because we so totally can.

I don't like generalizing.  But I also don't like how this forum shits on my country as if any others are much better.  USA fuckers!

Here's the minority vote!

15 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Here's the minority vote!

Hey I haven't been paying attention at all but we'll see how the Rumble and Mania goes with him in full control instead of Vince.  I understand he brought back Wyatt, which is...good?  That dude's crazy.

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

@Tywin et al.

I have hated professional wrestling for, at least, 45 years.  I’ve always found it incredibly, mind numbingly stupid.

Which is fine. We all have different tastes. I haven't really watched wrestling since I was a kid. Still enjoy going back and watching old clips from time to time. If you think about it though, how different is it from a ballet except with an undead wizard that choke slams people?

4 hours ago, DMC said:

Divided government is always difficult, but the far right has just divided their own role in divided government.  That's unequivocally good for the Dems - and the left - as long as they can realize it. 

That's probably correct in the short term.  The right is best off making a clear distinction here.  As for the establishment Republicans, I assume they'll line up at the trough as usual.

16 hours ago, Fez said:

AOC has now had extended conversations the house floor with both Gaetz and Gosar. Oh to be a fly on that wall.

Both of them wanted to know if the Democrats had any plans to bail McCarthy out, and AOC categorically told them no. Why they reached out to her of all people (rather than Jeffries) is beyond me though.

11 hours ago, DMC said:

Gee thanks for making me feel old.  Between this an associate being shocked, surprised, and apparently impressed that I used "big mad" correctly in a sentence yesterday, I'm thinking I should respond to one of those thousands of emails starting to flood my spam email account from AARP, or maybe the "Silver Singles" one.  

16 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

That's the problem with all Americans: They generalize all the time.

I got the joke, but then, I'm German. We have ze funny bone.

1 hour ago, Martell Spy said:

So, McCarthy may try to adjourn until Thursday. But he may not have the votes for even that and the Democrats are whipping against it.

Nope. And it's early but he appears to have lost again

HAHAHAHA

Archived