US Politics: Speaking to Insanity

DMC

I mean, it used to be funny him not getting elected for the first six times. But can we like get this over with and Democrats pick a non-crazy Republican to put forward and offer their caucus a way out of this. It's getting boring.

1 minute ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I mean, it used to be funny him not getting elected for the first six times. But can we like get this over with and Democrats pick a non-crazy Republican to put forward and offer their caucus a way out of this. It's getting boring.

There needs to be a LOT more pain and suffering before we get to the (still very unlikely) Aaron Sorkin ending. Including other candidates, like Steve Scalise, failing multiple rounds of votes. I'm fairly confident this is at least going into next week.

Because the thing is, there's no pressing need for the House to do anything. The government is funded until Sept 30, the debt ceiling won't be an issue until the summer, and the Senate's in recess anyway until Jan 23. There's no real incentive for anyone to fold on anything (except McCarthy, who's folded on everything and has gotten nothing for it).

Hillary Clinton joins the faculty of Columbia University as a professor in the School of Public and International Affairs.

Thought she'd be teaching Haitian Studies or a/k/a how to eff up irrevocably a teeny impoverished nation beyond all repair.

So the Stabenow announcement has already engendered rampant speculation:

At least two prominent Democrats — Reps. Elissa Slotkin and Debbie Dingell — are seriously considering a run, according to people familiar with their thinking. But several other House members could also take a look at it, including Reps. Dan Kildee and Haley Stevens, according to several Michigan Democrats. [...]

A trio of statewide electeds — Lt. Gov. Garlin Gilchrist, Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson and Attorney General Dana Nessel — could all be well-placed for a Senate run, as well as Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan. Benson is set to be in Washington, D.C., on Friday to receive a Presidential Citizens Medal from President Joe Biden for the role she played in overseeing the 2020 election in her state.

Buttigieg and Whitmer have both already issued statements saying they're not interested. 

Anyway, those are just SOME of the names that could be running in the Dem primary -- another reason for Buttigieg to hold off.  There's also a Levin who is now currently unemployed.  Hell, there's a former Michigan governor in Biden's cabinet (albeit I have no idea if Granholm has maintained residency). 

My personal favorite?  State Senator Mallory McMorrow.  She was the one with that outstanding speech responding to accusations of being a groomer back in April.  She was also very prevalent as a talking head during the midterm coverage and I was quite impressed - she can handle herself very well.

Is this the end?

Hold your breath and count to ten

Feel the vote move and watch Kev's heart break again

For is this the end?

(Don't worry, you don't have to imagine me doing Karaoke and being wildly off tune - I have Ty for that.) 

24 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

But nice to see a US Senator retiring in time and not going full Feinstein.

Oh sure I view this as a general positive simply due to the bench strength - don't really think this significantly changes how much the seat will be in danger as whomever comes out of the primary will be a very strong candidate anyway.  Nothing against Stabenow, but it's always a plus to make the Senate younger IMO.  And a lot of the names mentioned above are Gen Xers or Millennials.

1 hour ago, Fez said:

There needs to be a LOT more pain and suffering before we get to the (still very unlikely) Aaron Sorkin ending. Including other candidates, like Steve Scalise, failing multiple rounds of votes. I'm fairly confident this is at least going into next week.

Because the thing is, there's no pressing need for the House to do anything. The government is funded until Sept 30, the debt ceiling won't be an issue until the summer, and the Senate's in recess anyway until Jan 23. There's no real incentive for anyone to fold on anything (except McCarthy, who's folded on everything and has gotten nothing for it).

And as another plus, while there is no Speaker, the next in line for the presidency after Harris is another Dem, Sen. Patty Murray. It's also the first time in history that a woman holds the position of Senate president pro tempore.

2 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I'm finding it morbidly fascinating. Everyone always talks about a Brokered Convention at the Presidential level, and then it never happens. Here we're (sort of) getting the House equivalent of that.

49 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

And as another plus, while there is no Speaker, the next in line for the presidency after Harris is another Dem, Sen. Patty Murray. It's also the first time in history that a woman holds the position of Senate president pro tempore.

OTOH, They've now established another tradition, normalized chaos, as They have with Stolen Election!  We can look forward to this every damned election.

3 minutes ago, The Marquis de Leech said:

I'm finding it morbidly fascinating. Everyone always talks about a Brokered Convention at the Presidential level, and then it never happens. Here we're (sort of) getting the House equivalent of that.

I mean, yes, it would be interesting if the Never Kevins were putting up a plausible alternative - as they promised - and the votes were shifting due to that.  But they're not.  Boebert said on television this afternoon she wouldn't support Scalise either.

26 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Round 11. They don't even have the votes to adjourn.

Another knockout. Normally I'd say please stop, he's already dead, but this is kind of fun.

Trump also only having one vote is extra funny.

ETA: Even if McCarthy survives this, what are the chances he lasts longer than Truss? 

9 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Trump also only having one vote is extra funny.

Trump can't abandon him for Speaker, because w/o being Speaker he no longer has any reason not to testify wrt 01/06/22.  Yet another stalemate going nowhere.

Archived