US Politics: Speaking to Insanity

DMC

Harris just flipped, not sure if he got his bribe already or decided he didn't want to part of the absolute fringe. But that's getting things awfully close for McCarthy.

19 minutes ago, Fez said:

I assume nothing. McCarthy won't always be able to ensure such high attendance of his conference and there will likely be plenty of times he doesn't have a numerical majority without the holdouts. If they get punished I could certainly ones like Gaetz voting with Democrats on procedural stuff (never actual bills of course) simply to fuck with him.

Isn’t Matt Gaetz supposed to clear up over time so long as you take the medication regularly?

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Realistically what's going to happen to the couple of holdouts, assuming they don't all jump together? Will they be stripped of committee seats and financial backing? Can McCarthy even afford to do that given how weak of a Speaker he will be?

They're not going to be punished at all.  For the GOP over the past 30 years, this is the way.

They can't punish them either. Kevin needs those votes...if they're to be had.

Adjournment until 10pm EST tonight? If the 6 hold outs still hold out on vote 14, do any of those who've flipped to Kevin, flip back off of him? 

Get some GoT style stuff going here...

Lol, the "moderate" GOP rebellion may actually be happening. Not necessarily against McCarthy on the Speakership, but on the rules package immediately afterwards:

I honestly don't know what happens if there is a Speaker but there isn't a rules package (whereas without a Speaker the House can only do what it's done the past 4 days). Maybe the House just functions under general parliamentary procedure until a rules package does pass?

4 hours ago, LongRider said:

Interesting News

Katie! Katie! Katie!

(Can you tell who I'd prefer to have seat? Not that I'd have a problem with Schiff taking it.)

All rumormongering at this point, but still. Also the article itself says that some veterans of the BErnie Sanders presidential campaigns are trying to nudge Ro Khanna towards throwing a hat into the ring as well.

47 minutes ago, Fez said:

I honestly don't know what happens if there is a Speaker but there isn't a rules package (whereas without a Speaker the House can only do what it's done the past 4 days). Maybe the House just functions under general parliamentary procedure until a rules package does pass?

I dunno, seems pretty clear.  Let's not overstate the importance of a rules package.  They operate..without a rules package.  Which is actually a pretty common precedent.  Perhaps not in the House, but the Senate had to do it until, what, February last cycle?

3 minutes ago, DMC said:

I dunno, seems pretty clear.  Let's not overstate the importance of a rules package.  They operate..without a rules package.  Which is actually a pretty common precedent.  Perhaps not in the House, but the Senate had to do it until, what, February last cycle?

The vote for McCarthy seems to be contingent on the rules package he agreed to being passed as well. So, if the rules package fails because it ticks off the mainstream R's, then McCarthy gets voted out? 

Okay, this is intriguing enough to make my 2023 prediction list: The R's either lose the House through attrition (30-70) and or they lose the Speaker position (also 30-70)

The other prediction, of course, being a 50-50 shot that Putin meets his end by the end of the year and Russia starts to break up.

6 minutes ago, DMC said:

Difference is that the senate is a continuing body, so it continued to operate under the previous organizing resolution. Which was bad for Democrats, since it meant that the committees still operated as if there was a Republican majority. But it did mean that the senate could technically function.

Archived