US Politics: Speaking to Insanity

DMC

1 minute ago, ThinkerX said:

The vote for McCarthy seems to be contingent on the rules package he agreed to being passed as well. So, if the rules package fails because it ticks off the mainstream R's, then McCarthy gets voted out? 

Er, the hypothetical was McCarthy winning the Speaker vote but not passing the rules package.  I don't see that happening.  But if it did, all of your response is irrelevant.

4 minutes ago, Fez said:

Difference is that the senate is a continuing body

LOL I really don't think term length is a substantive difference in this case.

11 minutes ago, DMC said:

LOL I really don't think term length is a substantive difference in this case.

It literally is the difference. The senate's old rules continue to operate until new ones are passed; whereas the House's expire when they adjourn sine die.

3 minutes ago, Fez said:

It literally is the difference. The senate's old rules continue to operate until new ones are passed; whereas the House's expire when they adjourn sine die.

I don't need a civics lesson dude.  My point is there's not going to be any "mass confusion" about rules.  If McCarthy is elected Speaker and they still can't get the rules package through, he'll simply adopt a placeholder package in the meantime -- which would effectively be the same as what happens in the Senate.

15 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Lol, it's really coming down to Gaetz?

And there was almost just a real fight on the floor. Mike Rogers had to be pulled back from charging Gaetz, and then stormed out of the chamber.

12 minutes ago, DMC said:

I don't need a civics lesson dude.  My point is there's not going to be any "mass confusion" about rules.  If McCarthy is elected Speaker and they still can't get the rules package through, he'll simply adopt a placeholder package in the meantime -- which would effectively be the same as what happens in the Senate.

Seems like maybe you do. But anyway, how does he get agreement between the sides on what should be in the placeholder package if he can't pass the original package?

17 minutes ago, Fez said:

And there was almost just a real fight on the floor. Mike Rogers had to be pulled back from charging Gaetz, and then stormed out of the chamber.

A mush happened on the floor. It's hilarious. 

Some images of the 'Honorables.' I love Omar's expression when addressed by Gaetz.

Also, Santos is becoming best buddies with Marge Greene.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2023/1/6/2145810/-From-grimaces-to-smirks-here-are-a-few-extraordinary-images-taken-during-the-House-speaker-votes

12 minutes ago, Fez said:

But anyway, how does he get agreement between the sides on what should be in the placeholder package if he can't pass the original package?

....Because once McCarthy is elected Speaker he can easily get Dem votes on a placeholder rules package.  Which - I'd assume - you'd understand.  It's pretty damn obvious.  

Like, what the fuck is this?  You trying to assert your dominance on pedantic shit nobody cares about?  I disagreed with you and you have to act like I don't know the difference between the Senate and the House?  Get the fuck over yourself.

1 minute ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

They didn’t adjourn?

No, Gaetz forced McCarthy to give him something insane it appears. 

Have fun for the next two years. The House is going to be a complete shitshow, just like I said it would be, and the only point of this is to try and hurt Biden.

Some patriots these fuckers are. Kevin will be the weakest Speaker ever in modern history as far as I can tell. 

1 minute ago, kairparavel said:

Who will flip during this vote? 

Be curious to see if it's everyone. You're a baseball fan. Owners votes always happen twice once 23 of 30 have agreed to something. After that it's almost always 30 of 30 for bullshit theater. 

Archived