US Politics: Speaking to Insanity

DMC

1 minute ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

A cowboy Trump NFT would be my guess.

Jokes aside, no, something far worse. They're going to do something with the debt ceiling, but until then expect the crazies to get some wild committee appointments. 

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Jokes aside, no, something far worse. They're going to do something with the debt ceiling, but until then expect the crazies to get some wild committee appointments. 

Committee appointments and watering down ethic rules (and their enforcements) are a given. They have been a given from the start. For most of their deranged horrors there'S thankfully Biden's magical veto pen. Budgets and the debt ceiling are the main worries. 

15 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Be curious to see if it's everyone. You're a baseball fan. Owners votes always happen twice once 23 of 30 have agreed to something. After that it's almost always 30 of 30 for bullshit theater. 

Swish!!!

36 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

There's a couple great pictures of George, who looks like quite the statesman. Churchillian, to be honest.

8 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Committee appointments and watering down ethic rules (and their enforcements) are a given. They have been a given from the start. For most of their deranged horrors there'S thankfully Biden's magical veto pen. Budgets and the debt ceiling are the main worries. 

Those are the main worries, sure, but Kevin's weakness will allow the House to become a shitshow even I couldn't have believed would happen. You're about to see some crazy shit. 

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Those are the main worries, sure, but Kevin's weakness will allow the House to become a shitshow even I couldn't have believed would happen. You're about to see some crazy shit. 

Probably, but the real crazyness will only start in a couple of years. The concession lil Kevin made wrt to that leadership fund not dumping money in primary races in red districts. That will allow the nuttiest of the nuttiest to get elected without much of a competition. Bobo is just the beginning. They will make up the majority of their caucus in 3 cycles (give or take). You have to remember, that the little toadie named Kevin should be regarded as normal compared to quite a bit of the house GOP. You will miss him, once you have speaker Gaetz in a few years.

2 hours ago, Paladin of Ice said:

Katie! Katie! Katie!

(Can you tell who I'd prefer to have seat? Not that I'd have a problem with Schiff taking it.)

All rumormongering at this point, but still. Also the article itself says that some veterans of the BErnie Sanders presidential campaigns are trying to nudge Ro Khanna towards throwing a hat into the ring as well.

2 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

So… 15 tries over 5 days?

I just glanced over at the TV to see MTG selfie-ing with McCarthy as I read your comment. 

I don't know what it means, the nihilism thread dun got me all confused, but I know it ain't gonna be fucking good :(

1 hour ago, ThinkerX said:

So, say the D's collectively vote against Mcarthy's rule changes - and the placeholder. Then what? That'd be a lot of ticked off R's.

Honestly, watching that all go down. I can't help but believe that better Dem leadership could have helped McCarthy. Step up, help him. He isn't insane, don't make him capitulate to insane people.

I know he is not unguilty. I don't know what kind of terms could have been struck. But I know that that's what I would have done. I wouldn't have called him as an opportunist, just a lifeline. 

We can't keep doing this.

Tonight was not a victory for liberalism, democracy, or Democrats. No matter how giddy the talking heads get about it. 

Sometimes victory costs more than you want to pay for it.

It seems as if a lot of you are under the impression the concessions McCarthy made will hurt Democrats - or will possibly hurt the ability for the House to pass things. 

This is not true.  All they do is weaken McCarthy.  They certainly do not hurt the Democrats.  And as for hurting McCarthy when any major legislative battle arises, that was always an inevitability.  I'm not saying anyone should be celebrating.  But nothing's changed here.  This was all theater, pure and simple.

I'm not advocating for more chaos, as a general rule, but if this doesn't blow up in McCarthy's face within a couple weeks, why did we even have to live through this? To see this guy rewarded with what he wanted after everything he's said and done is just wrong. 

Archived