US Politics: Speaking to Insanity

DMC

On 1/7/2023 at 2:55 PM, James Arryn said:

I try to look at DMC’s decision to move to Florida as a kind of political version of Dian Fossey. 

Well, that sounds like a horrible ending.

To prevent this sort of debacle in future, IMO, the outgoing speaker should remain the speaker until a new speaker is elected, so that the work of Congress can continue, and the incoming majority party should only get one speaker vote a week.

If the ultra uber-MAGA wing of the Republican party had got their man / woman in place I would have been concerned about assassination plots* against Biden and Harris to get MAGA back in the White House, albeit not the chief MAGAt . Electing McCarthy as speaker might just have saved their lives.

*I'm sure there are always assassination plots against every president, just very few that have a better than 1% chance of actually being attempted.

18 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

To prevent this sort of debacle in future, IMO, the outgoing speaker should remain the speaker until a new speaker is elected, so that the work of Congress can continue, and the incoming majority party should only get one speaker vote a week.

If the ultra uber-MAGA wing of the Republican party had got their man / woman in place I would have been concerned about assassination plots* against Biden and Harris to get MAGA back in the White House, albeit not the chief MAGAt . Electing McCarthy as speaker might just have saved their lives.

*I'm sure there are always assassination plots against every president, just very few that have a better than 1% chance of actually being attempted.

That's interesting. An unfortunate thing to have to think about. 

I suppose it's unfortunately impossible that there isn't some kind of mutually-entrusted custodian who could facilitate the process. Like, each party could identify some revered and content actor who would just do the right fucking thing along the way. 

Welp, I suppose whining that you can't entrust an empowered actor to act in accordance with such nebulous things as 'values' and 'spirits' of law and constitutional intent when you have to proceduralise the very transfer of a supposedly 'entrusted' legislative power is a bit of a "But why?" situation when you get right down to it. :( 

28 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Is it even legal for Gaetz to be that close to minors?

I wouldn't have felt confident quoting this except that I had a response to our friend above's comment and it's practically criminal that no one else has given you at least another :laughing: reaction! 

10/10 comment

"Top marks." As the @realGodEmperorofDune said in Matthew Vaughn's X-Men:First Class (I feel like a bum that I can't remember more context to that scene, but I haven't seen that film in many years) 

11 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Crap… Jason Miller… not Steven Miller… “reading is fundamental” folks. Apologies.

"It never Reins (spelling?) but it pours." - Bad Guy (Gone in 60 Seconds) 

They call him The Carpenter 

5 minutes ago, BBB Jacelyn said:

"It never Reins (spelling?) but it pours." - Bad Guy (Gone in 60 Seconds) 

They call him The Carpenter 

Just for clarity's sake, so that -like- I don't seem like some kinda CrAzY pErSoN, is that I'm pretty sure (preeetty sure) that the preceding line to that bit I quoted goes something like 

"One Reins (spelling?) is as good as another Reins (spelling?)..." 

and then the whole 

'it never Reins (spelling?) but it pours.' bit. Because, like the Bad Guy in the movie (Gone in Sixty Seconds), is kinda disappointed not to be able to inflict harm on one character <the object of his original ire> but is contented to have his cronies inflict said harm on that object's brother, who is more readily available to be abused by Bad Guy's goons. 

But it's a bit of a social gamble, I'll admit, to expect other randomly-dispersed persons about the globe to comprehend my obscure references to a 1990's Nicholas Cage film that I watched a hundred times with my sister in decades past. 

That's my bad. 

36 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Crap… Jason Miller… not Steven Miller… “reading is fundamental” folks. Apologies.

Aight.  For a second I was like, "what does Steve Miller Band have to do with the Trump administration?"  I'm glad it's still nothing.  Really woulda ruined those childhood Cape Cod road trips where my parents played all the way there AND back.

ETA:  Of course, there's also Stephen Miller, one of the key white supremacists of the Trump administration.  But this is why spelling is key!

So when they thought you were no longer looking.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/corporations-again-funding-election-deniers_n_63b8eb30e4b0ae9de1be5231

After publicly taking a victory lap claiming they wouldnt donate to election deniers, big corporations are back at it, funding the insurrectionist.

From the article-

After publicly patting themselves on the backs for cutting off financial support to election deniers in the wake of the storming of the Capitol two years ago, many corporations and corporate lobbying groups are again pumping money into politicians who tried to subvert democracy, according to new reports.

We have a saying in the Great Lakes, " If you seek a pleasant penisula, look about you."

To the above one could add , "If you seek the enemies of America, look about you at the financiers of fascism."

12 hours ago, LongRider said:

Lock him up!  Lock him up!

And Steve Bannon, who is instrumental in encouraging, planning etc. Brasil's insurrection like he did that at the Capitol here.  Throw him in a brazilian prison ... it won't be anything like what Bannon would have experienced for his four months' sentence in October --- which continues to work its way through appeals courts, while he remains free.  What is wrong with this picture, hmmmmmmm. 

Pelosi's heir apparent and Democratic Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries.

Opinion: Hakeem Jeffries gave the speech that Kevin McCarthy should have — but won't

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/08/opinions/hakeem-jeffries-speech-kevin-mccarthy-obeidallah/index.html

What an orator, I dont notice him even needing notes!

Its because we Democrats deal it from the heart and soul, we are not beholden to paymasters we are on the side of improving life experiences.

Archived