Controversial ASoIaF Opinions

Craving Peaches

1 minute ago, astarkchoice said:

The new show was boss man

The horrible later seasons where a pair of 0 talent writers taking the great  material and trying to 'improve it'

I watched what? 5-6 episodes? I mostly enjoyed it apart from bullshit such as aegon prophecy etc. but that doesn't change the fact of what was done. I don't like stuff getting forced down my throat and sure as hell don't enjoy lore, canon, world etc getting torn apart to do that. This is fantasy, races are a thing in fantasy. If you want to cast a person of "melanine advantage", fine, I don't care but you have options beside butchering the existing things, you may very well have introduced summer islander characters, you may even introduce a summer islander grand mother to Velaryons and since this is a house of seafarers, it wouldn't look bad but no, fuck it, I'll just add black Valyrians to the racial supremacist purity obsessed sister lovers, because, woke.

29 minutes ago, Ring3r said:

Meh, that wasn't even the bit I was referring to.  It's just par for the course that Hollywood will race-swap characters for look-at-me credit at this point.  That's just a foregone conclusion.  I usually hate it because its just, well, fake.  Sometimes I love it....like, put Idriss Elba in literally everything, he's probably my favorite actor.

I'm more worried that the actual structure of the story will be altered.

Which potential alterations worry you?

39 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

I watched what? 5-6 episodes? I mostly enjoyed it apart from bullshit such as aegon prophecy etc. but that doesn't change the fact of what was done. I don't like stuff getting forced down my throat and sure as hell don't enjoy lore, canon, world etc getting torn apart to do that. This is fantasy, races are a thing in fantasy. If you want to cast a person of "melanine advantage", fine, I don't care but you have options beside butchering the existing things, you may very well have introduced summer islander characters, you may even introduce a summer islander grand mother to Velaryons and since this is a house of seafarers, it wouldn't look bad but no, fuck it, I'll just add black Valyrians to the racial supremacist purity obsessed sister lovers, because, woke.

To be fair we are told valyrians have silver to blonde hair and purple eyes..skin colour was never mentioned and their empire did span a vast diverse region.

37 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Their empire did start from a single very isolated location.

But itt spread out 

Also  to be fair that location is all over the place with skin tones (many not making sense) ..theres the  supposedly dark skined sanori (who are right beside the coldest regions in planetos!) amber skinned ghiscari to their east and to their west the pale milk men white  skinned quarthi (despite living in a dessert!)

50 minutes ago, astarkchoice said:

But itt spread out 

Also  to be fair that location is all over the place with skin tones (many not making sense) ..theres the  supposedly dark skined sanori (who are right beside the coldest regions in planetos!) amber skinned ghiscari to their east and to their west the pale milk men white  skinned quarthi (despite living in a dessert!)

But they are racial supremacist that take it so far to the extreme that they fuck their own sisters to keep the blood "pure".

Velaryons may not be dragon riders but they are still Valyrian nobility and they don't marry outside the Valyrian stock. All those people from that location that is "all over the place with skin tones" were slaves to Valyrians. So nope, nope, nope, no lore excuse at all, sole reason is to woke it. And really they could've easily just said, "yeah grandpa Velaryon just married some Summer Islander princess,  he met on his journeys that's why", it would've been quite a lore friendly excuse to still push their wokeness but at least not shove it down our throats but no, straight with massacring the entire thing with black Valyrians. To quote from the books themselves, "we have no choice but to eat all this excrement and praise the taste" and it is so much so you can't even open a thread on the show side of the forum without mod control and from that control passes not the likes of the thread "Will there be white Summer Islanders?" Tell me how this is normal please?

The Lord of White Harbor leaned forward. "The Freys are no better. They speak of wargs and skinchangers and assert that it was Robb Stark who slew my Wendel. The arrogance of it! They do not expect the north to believe their lies, not truly, but they think we must pretend to believe or die. Roose Bolton lies about his part in the Red Wedding, and his bastard lies about the fall of Winterfell. And yet so long as they held Wylis I had no choice but to eat all this excrement and praise the taste."

25 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

But they are racial supremacist that take it so far to the extreme that they fuck their own sisters to keep the blood "pure".

Velaryons may not be dragon riders but they are still Valyrian nobility and they don't marry outside the Valyrian stock. All those people from that location that is "all over the place with skin tones" were slaves to Valyrians. So nope, nope, nope, no lore excuse at all, sole reason is to woke it. And really they could've easily just said, "yeah grandpa Velaryon just married some Summer Islander princess,  he met on his journeys that's why", it would've been quite a lore friendly excuse to still push their wokeness but at least not shove it down our throats but no, straight with massacring the entire thing with black Valyrians. To quote from the books themselves, "we have no choice but to eat all this excrement and praise the taste" and it is so much so you can't even open a thread on the show side of the forum without mod control and from that control passes not the likes of the thread "Will there be white Summer Islanders?" Tell me how this is normal please?

Right but pure may still mean the silver hair....and for all we know original valyrians were dark sith silver hair+purple eyes  and the white skin is due to interbreeding with slaves/freemen in their kingdom

They did the old hillbilly incest love to keep blood pure yes  but we know they did breed outside their own too  prob  to help keep mutants down

3 minutes ago, astarkchoice said:

Right but pure may still mean the silver hair....and for all we know original valyrians were dark sith silver hair+purple eyes  and the white skin is due to interbreeding with slaves/freemen in their kingdom

They did the old hillbilly incest love to keep blood pure yes  but we know they did breed outside their own too  prob  to help keep mutants down

And that's why from Claw Isle in the Northwest to Lys to south and Volantis to east, they are all lacking in pigmentation?

What about the Little Valyrian? Why did it get it's name when it's white when your Valyrians were apparently black?

1 hour ago, Corvo the Crow said:

I am not the type to care about the races of fictional characters generally, but when we're making a story's Aryan slaveholders more racially diverse, things have gotten a bit ridiculous.

54 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

And that's why from Claw Isle in the Northwest to Lys to south and Volantis to east, they are all lacking in pigmentation?

What about the Little Valyrian? Why did it get it's name when it's white when your Valyrians were apparently black?

But where they are all orininaly from theres amber to dark skin and white  all around (although again the  northern sanori should be the pale  'milk men ' and the dessert quarthi brown)

Silver fur and purple eyes = silver hair and purple eyes

16 minutes ago, astarkchoice said:

But where they are all orininaly from theres amber to dark skin and white  all around (although again the  northern sanori should be the pale  'milk men ' and the dessert quarthi brown)

Silver fur and purple eyes = silver hair and purple eyes

Animals don’t tend to have black skin if they have furs. Humans only had/have black skin because we’ve lost our fur coat and needed a way to protect against UV.

45 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

Polar bears I think are an exception to this rule.

Must have their reasons because other bears are also "white" as far as I know.

That brings another point on another show, there really shouldn't have been any black dwarfs in the LotR show. Can't recall if we were ever given a description of their coloring in Tolkien's works, but they really should've been albino like in the canon material as well, because that's how many creatures that live in caves in our world are.

52 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Must have their reasons because other bears are also "white" as far as I know.

That brings another point on another show, there really shouldn't have been any black dwarfs in the LotR show. Can't recall if we were ever given a description of their coloring in Tolkien's works, but they really should've been albino like in the canon material as well, because that's how many creatures that live in caves in our world are.

They wouldnt  have be albino no as they do go out  but they def wouldnt get much sun......unless they love spending that gold on exotic  sunny holidays .

It does  however brring up grmms point in taxes again...of the dwarves have soo much gold what does that do to the human economy? Can they buy and sell us  with ease until smuag arrives?

47 minutes ago, astarkchoice said:

They wouldnt  have be albino no as they do go out  but they def wouldnt get much sun......unless they love spending that gold on exotic  sunny holidays .

It does  however brring up grmms point in taxes again...of the dwarves have soo much gold what does that do to the human economy? Can they buy and sell us  with ease until smuag arrives?

With so much spare gold, the dwarves should be into banking (Andrej Sapkowsi has dwarven banking houses).

Archived