Controversial ASoIaF Opinions

Craving Peaches

On 1/8/2023 at 5:19 PM, EggBlue said:

that's generally how Ned comes off as . he doesn't plan anything . he only reacts to what happens around him .

I'd say that continues when he goes to Kings Landing. He has his big blow up with Robert about assassinating Daenerys which is just a reaction to what Robert is doing. He objects to the big tourney in his honor, another reaction. You could say his investigation into Jon Arryn's death is proactive but even this is implicitly reactive. He's waiting to see what he finds out before doing anything. He has plenty of reasons to suspect the Lannisters of acting against Arryn and against Ned's own family. A proactive person would be making moves and putting contingency plans into place while the investigation was going on.

1 minute ago, Aejohn the Conqueroo said:

I was against it at first and regardless of how well they handled it I agree that the motives were garbage. That being said though I think they did a good job with it and I don't think the whole Strong thing would have been as impactful considering it was condensed to one episode without the stark visual clue that something wasn't right.

The kids really sold it for me though. Luc's long looks at his relatives and his wrestling with the idea that he was so blatantly being used to cover someone else's lie and that he was going to have to t

I guess it's up to us to assume that some unnamed Velaryon lord took home a girl from the summer islands and made her his Lady, but not too long ago because there's no hint of it in the Targs and they're practically the same family at this point. All in all I don't like it when I have to make excuses for a TV show,

I liked the new show a lot more than I thought I would. Not nearly as goofy or soap-opera-y as the original show.

It requires more suspension of disbelief to see Valyrians as lily-white blondes than as black people. Come on, folks. Valyria is a broiling hot region that is right near or on the Planetosi equator. Dollars to donuts people in a place like that don't come out looking like Tolkien elves. George R. R. Martin commented on his Not a Blog that he thought it might be cool to make theTargaryens black, but the idea came to him 20 years too late. Here's a link to that discussion which some may find interesting: https://grrm.livejournal.com/326474.html?thread=17886026#t17886026

Does it bother me that the Targaryens are white and not black? No, because it's fiction, not real life, and I can still suspend disbelief on trivial issues like skin color. Does it bother me that House Valaryon is black in HotD and not white? No, because it's fiction, I can suspend disbelief on trivial issues like skin color, and the actors involved all do a fine job in my opinion. Does Hollywood sometimes get a little silly about how they incorporate diversity? Sure, but these things can get complicated, and Hollywood as an industry will always take the path of least resistance by making the screenwriters, actors and directors happy. It's just business. It is what it is.

By the way, Darkstar is every edgy emo teen we all knew in middle school, and they usually grow out of it. Except for Darkstar, who won't have the chance too, 'cause he'll be dead.

On 1/2/2023 at 1:57 PM, Alden Rothack said:

cersei wasn't punished nearly enough for her adultery, she murdered her best friend for fancing jaime, she should have been flogged then hung

I couldn't care less about Cersei's adultery in the abstract, considering that Robert committed adultery so frequently; except that she endangered her children's lives by choosing to give make them the offspring of an adulterous incestuous union.  They didn't get to choose their fate; she jeopardized them before they were born.  And of course, her other actions, from her childhood (torturing her helpless baby brother, murdering her friend or at the very least letting her die without trying to get help for her, ordering the deaths of all of Robert's bastard children in King's Landing and, earlier, bastard children in Casterly Rock itself, giving a former ally - Falyse Stokeworth - and a maidservant - to Qyburn to torture to death in the Black Cells)...

On 1/9/2023 at 9:35 AM, Phylum of Alexandria said:

I am not the type to care about the races of fictional characters generally, but when we're making a story's Aryan slaveholders more racially diverse, things have gotten a bit ridiculous.

I doubt that most of the people watching House of the Dragon even know that House Velaryon's blood-of-old-Valyria ancestors had slaves.  And I have quite enjoyed Steve Toussaint's performance as Corlys Velaryon; he's one of my favorite characters on the show.

1 hour ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

You dare mock the knight of the night?! I admire your guts.

What's he gonna do, slit his wrists at us?  He's a little emo bitch. :rofl:

He's probably going to steal Dawn and then Euron will kill him and take it.

22 minutes ago, Raksha 2014 said:

I doubt that most of the people watching House of the Dragon even know that House Velaryon's blood-of-old-Valyria ancestors had slaves.  And I have quite enjoyed Steve Toussaint's performance as Corlys Velaryon; he's one of my favorite characters on the show.

Yeah, he was good. The casting moves relative to Planetos lore by no means ruined the story for me. I think that within the confines of the HotD show it's not all that important a detail. But once one thinks about what Valyrians represent, it just seems very strange, not all that far from casting Black Nazis in a WW2 movie. 

4 minutes ago, Phylum of Alexandria said:

Yeah, he was good. The casting moves relative to Planetos lore by no means ruined the story for me. I think that within the confines of the HotD show it's not all that important a detail. But once one thinks about what Valyrians represent, it just seems very strange, not all that far from casting Black Nazis in a WW2 movie. 

I usually have a problem with that sort of casting/swapping too since it strikes me as a shortcut and totally disingenuous, particularly when the original author is no longer around to even have a say......but GRRM is on record saying that he wished he'd had a little more diversity in appearance for the Valyrians.  He obviously didn't have a problem with the change and it still makes sense within the context of the world because the Valyrians DID occassionally marry outside their own culture.  My personal head-canon is that at some point one of the Valarions ship-masters fell in love with a Summer Islander on his sea voyages and intermarried.  Canonically it would make perfect sense.

1 minute ago, Ring3r said:

I usually have a problem with that sort of casting/swapping too since it strikes me as a shortcut and totally disingenuous, particularly when the original author is no longer around to even have a say......but GRRM is on record saying that he wished he'd had a little more diversity in appearance for the Valyrians.  He obviously didn't have a problem with the change and it still makes sense within the context of the world because the Valyrians DID occassionally marry outside their own culture.  My personal head-canon is that at some point one of the Valarions ship-masters fell in love with a Summer Islander on his sea voyages and intermarried.  Canonically it would make perfect sense.

If GRRM's happy with it, then I am too. Except I will never accept how he pronounces Dothraki as "Doth-rock-eye."

2 hours ago, astarkchoice said:

Unfortunatly hel be wielded by (collective sigh) darkstar

I think Darkstar’s destiny is to be killed in TWOW. I expect he is a vehicle to get Dawn North, so someone could wield it in the War of the Dawn. With the time skip being scrapped I figure Edric is too young to claim it, so GREM created Darkstar for the sole purpose of moving Dawn from Starfall.

8 minutes ago, Ring3r said:

And they conquered much of Essos and likely travels much of the world in their time, it’s totally believable 

1 minute ago, KingEuronGreyjoy said:

And they conquered much of Essos and likely travels much of the world in their time, it’s totally believable 

Yeah, I think so.  It might even serve as an in-universe reason why the Valarions were considered a minor house.  The Valyrians were racial purists....houses that intermarried would likely be denied status.........the Valarions were low status.  It all makes sense.  As long as it makes sense, I like it.

Just now, Ring3r said:

Yeah, I think so.  It might even serve as an in-universe reason why the Valarions were considered a minor house.  The Valyrians were racial purists....houses that intermarried would likely be denied status.........the Valarions were low status.  It all makes sense.  As long as it makes sense, I like it.

And to be honest, I think he looks really cool.

Archived