What are you reading? First Quarter 2023

williamjm

I don't think it's the world that's sad, I think it's the wringer she puts her main characters through. The core of her books are not, to me, the happenings of the Six Duchies or the Liveship Traders. That's subplot that helps add interest and depth, but the center of the books are the characters and they go through some really awful shit in ways that feel so heartwrenching. It's very well done but it leaves me emotionally exhausted.

I'm over here critiquing the fighting habits of an eater in Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie.

You've got the strength and speed to spare, but isn't it inefficient to push someone's head through the table AND the floor underneath. Do you need to punch people so hard your arm goes into their chest up to your elbow? Think about how much faster you'd fight if you dealt only the necessary blows! So much wasted movement!

Anyway, enjoying my re-read.

Even thinking about Chelsea Manning's book makes me sadfaced as fuck. 

So I've been slogging between print and audiobook versions of Anathem while taking long breaks trying to go outside and touch the grass but I feel like the weather itself conspires against me :P 

Talk about throwing The Book at someone. Not to take Jeep Chryst's name in vain, but it's splendid! Everything I said about Sanderson, in the Sanderson thread? 

Yeah, Neal Stephenson should do the opposite. Whatever this man wants. Ten-thousand page manuscript? Single issue, hardcovers only? Covers made of pure platinum bitcoin NFTs?

I don't know what any of that means but yes! Give him whatever he wants. 

Loved Anathem. While at the same time feeling it was at least twice as long as it needed to be.

Currently reading The Pale Horseman, book 2 of the Saxon Tales, having already seen all of The Last Kingdom and looking forward to the movie this month.

21 hours ago, Secretary of Eumenes said:

Even thinking about Chelsea Manning's book makes me sadfaced as fuck. 

So I've been slogging between print and audiobook versions of Anathem while taking long breaks trying to go outside and touch the grass but I feel like the weather itself conspires against me :P 

Talk about throwing The Book at someone. Not to take Jeep Chryst's name in vain, but it's splendid! Everything I said about Sanderson, in the Sanderson thread? 

Yeah, Neal Stephenson should do the opposite. Whatever this man wants. Ten-thousand page manuscript? Single issue, hardcovers only? Covers made of pure platinum bitcoin NFTs?

I don't know what any of that means but yes! Give him whatever he wants. 

14 minutes ago, Winterfella said:

Loved Anathem. While at the same time feeling it was at least twice as long as it needed to be.

I loved Anathem too, so much that I don’t begrudge its saggy excess.  But considering his post-Anathem publications, I’d strongly disagree with giving Neal Stephenson a completely free rein.  His run of works from Cryptonomicon, through the Baroque Cycle, to Anathem may be unparalleled, but he has not been able to come close to those levels since. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived