Which great house has the most interesting dynamics ?

It's an easy pick for me. I pick the Baratheons for the dynamic, and also the missed opportunity. Robert, Stannis, and Renly all have varying skill sets which could have complimented each other if only they weren't held back by their own flaws. 

Just now, KingEuronGreyjoy said:

Yeah, all the Baratheon bros seemed to hate each other. Except maybe Stannis, I think a part of him genuine loved Renly. Which makes what he did all the more tragic.

Definitely a tragedy. But it's also tragic because it's clear that Stannis should have been the eldest brother from the start. He had the best head on his shoulders, he's shown the most capacity to grow and change and improve. Robert was never interested in rule or administration, and Renly never showed any real indication of his ability before his demise. Stannis, meanwhile, has evolved more than many of the other characters, and for the better. 

Id want to see more of the tyrells.

They seem sharp but nice , like starks but able to play the game 

Willas crippled but apparently a genius , great breeder, heir to  arguably westeros most powerful house (by virtue of its control of the reach) like a tyrell tyrion really without the bitterness or daddy issues

Garlan  and renly : two of westeros baddest mofos with garlans skills kept largely under wraps 

Queen of thorns and her 2 twin giant bodyguards : say no more

Margey: bright and kind but can play the game..now enraged at cersie

It makes an interesting pot esp when you consider

All the tyells are intermarried withinin the reach powerful  families and we arrive at time whenn margey is on trial, their loyal enforcer randyl.tarly may clash with the faiths fanatics, garlan is about to take the florents keep, the rest of the reach os fighting off military incursions from inborn and finaly the golden company may have "friends  in the reach"

I would love to know more about the Hightower's. Just feel like there is so much that we don't know about them.

In the absence of that info,

The clear winner for me is the Lannister's. 

1. They murdered the King(Jaimie) and his family (Tywin )

2. Brother is bangin the sister... lol

3. Sister is bangin a cousin.

4. The outcast dwarf of a son Kills his Dad and hates his whole family...

5. The Queens Kids are not the Kings.

6. Queen kills the King.

7. Lancel finds Religion instead of his Wife's bed.

It is one calamity after another with the Lannister's.

This whole Family is a shit show. Love it... and I didn't even mention Joffrey.

Most functional and seemingly loving, ie the family you’d most want to be part of, Tyrells.

Most intriguing, ie you want to know mor, Hightowers, Daynes, Mormonts, Blackwoods and Reeds. 

Most sympathetic, pretty obvious: Starks

Most non-existent: Arryns and kinda Targs. In one advance chapter we hear that one of the known members of house Arryn mentioned the other. Targs since Viserys crown is…we’ll, unknown to one another at the very least.

Most disappointing: Martells. Oberon, pound for pound, best character. Everyone since…just meh. 

Most melodramatic: Greyjoys, though it was a close run thing. But they are the most comprised of near caricatures, the strong lumbering oaf too stupid to be scared, the moustache-twirling holocaust-craving nothing’s off the table Bond villain, the broken reed holy man, etc. 

Most imo unfairly marginalized: Tullys. Also there are houses with cooler words, but few which present better actual representations of a workable value system.

Most Not For Me: Baratheon. Well, probably the coolest name, that’s a good start. But Renly, Stannis and maybe Orys are the only ones we ever read about who don’t seem to belong to the same frat, and Stannis is the biggest narcissist in the series…and that’s saying something. Edit: I always forget about Shireen, who seems lovely and lonely but not especially interesting in and of herself.

Most comprised of distinct and interesting characters: Lannister with a side of Stark if only through volume of exposure. But Tywn, Tyrion, Jaime and Cersei are all very strong and distinct personalities and interesting ones too, provided we stay out of Cersei’s head…and even there, comedy gold on almost every page…and even the secondary characters like Kevan or Genna or Daven are really well drawn in the little that we see them. One of my least favourite houses containing many of my favourite characters is probably the best description. 

The Starks have been scattered to the four winds for most of the series, so we didn't really get much family interaction after the first book. The Lannister family dynamics, in contrast, have been central to many of the events throughout the books. It's hard to even compare others to the Lannisters in that regard. To my surprise, I think I'm most interested to see how the Greyjoy family issues play out. I honestly don't know how Asha is going to deal with Theon and the rest of her family. I really don't know how Theon will want to treat the rest of his family either, assuming he lives.

Archived