The books coming out in 2023/2024

AncalagonTheBlack

Unknown publication dates: :P

The Winds of Winter by George R. R. Martin
The Doors of Stone by Patrick Rothfuss
The Thorn of Emberlain by Scott Lynch
Endlords by J. V. Jones

January

Hell Bent (Alex Stern #2) by Leigh Bardugo | Jan 10, 2023 (Flatiron Books/Gollancz)
Lost in the Moment and Found (Wayward Children #8) by Seanan McGuire | Jan 10, 2023 (Tor)
Tress of the Emerald Sea (Book 1 of 4: Secret Projects) | by Brandon Sanderson | January 10
The Keeper's Six by Kate Elliott | Jan 17, 2023 (Tor)
Mr. Breakfast By Jonathan Carroll | Jan 17, 2023 (Melville House)
Village in the Sky (Alex Benedict #9) by Jack McDevitt | Jan 31, 2023 (Saga Press)

February

Wild Massive by Scotto Moore | Feb 7, 2023 (Tor)
The Spite House: A Novel by Johnny Compton | Feb 7, 2023 (Tor Nightfire)
Hopeland by Ian McDonald | Feb 14, 2023 (Tor)
The Tyranny of Faith (Empire of the Wolf #2) by Richard Swan – February 14, 2023 (Orbit)
The Endless Song By (Tales of the Forever Sea #2) by Joshua Phillip Johnson – February 14, 2023 (DAW)

The Shadow Casket (The Darkwater Legacy #2) by Chris Wooding - Feb 16, 2023 (Gollancz)
A Day of Fallen Night by Samantha Shannon – February 28 (Bloomsbury)
The Crane Husband by Kelly Barnhill | Feb 28, 2023 (Tor)

March

Dead Country (The Craft Wars #1) by Max Gladstone | Mar 7, 2023 (Tor)
Piñata: A Novel by Leopoldo Gout | Mar 14, 2023 (Tor Nightfire)
Beyond the Reach of Earth (Lightspeed #2) by Ken MacLeod | Mar 21, 2023 (Orbit)

April

A Woman of the Sword by Anna Smith Spark | Apr 4, 2023 (Luna Press)
The Basilisk Throne by Greg Keyes | Apr 4, 2023 (Titan Books)
Engines of Chaos (Age of Uprising #2) by R. S. Ford | Apr 4, 2023 (Orbit)
The Way Home by Peter S. Beagle | Apr 6, 2023 (Gollancz)
The Frugal Wizard's Handbook for Surviving Medieval England Book 2 of 4: Secret Projects by Brandon Sanderson |  April 11 (Tor ebook)
Untethered Sky by Fonda Lee | Apr 11, 2023 (Tor)
Master of the Fallen (The Silent Gods #3) by Justin Call | Apr 13, 2023 (Gollancz)
Furious Heaven (The Sun Chronicles #2) by Kate Elliott | Apr 18, 2023 (Tor)
For the First Time, Again (Take Them to the Stars, 3) by Sylvain Neuvel | Apr 18, 2023 (Tor)
The Warden by Daniel M. Ford | Apr 18, 2023 (Tor)
Tsalmoth (Vlad Taltos #16) by Steven Brust | Apr 25, 2023 (Tor)
Night Angel Nemesis (The Kylar Chronicles #1) by Brent Weeks | Apr 25, 2023 (Orbit)
Herald of the Black Moon (Dominion Trilogy #3) by Stephen Deas | Apr 25, 2023 (Angry Robot)

May

Lords of Uncreation (Final Architecture #3) by Adrian Tchaikovsky | May 2, 2023 (Orbit)    
The Ferryman: A Novel by Justin Cronin | May 2, 2023 (Ballantine Books)
In an Orchard Grown from Ash (The Wind-up Garden duology #2)by Rory Power | May 2, 2023 (Del Rey)
The Sword Defiant (Lands of the Firstborn #1) by Gareth Hanrahan | May 2, 2023 (Orbit)
Spring's Arcana (The Dead God's Heart #1) by Lilith Saintcrow | May 2, 2023 (Tor)
The Salt Grows Heavy by Cassandra Khaw | May 2, 2023 (Tor Nightfire)
The Book That Wouldn't Burn (The Library Trilogy #1) by Mark Lawrence | May 9, 2023 (Ace)
March's End by Daniel Polansky | May 9, 2023 (Angry Robot)
Scarlet (The Scarlet Revolution #1) by Genevieve Cogman | May 11, 2023 (Tor)
Season of Skulls (Laundry Files, 13) by Charles Stross | May 16, 2023 (Tor)
The Will of the Many (Hierarchy #1) by James Islington – May 23, 2023 (Saga Press)
Airside by Christopher Priest - May 25, 2023 (Gollancz)
Witch King by Martha Wells | May 30, 2023 (Tor)

June

Translation State (Imperial Radch standalone) by Ann Leckie | June 6, 2023 (Orbit)
The Woods of Arcady (The Sanctuary of the White Friars #2) by Michael Moorcock | June 6, 2023 (Tor)
Gods of the Wyrdwood by RJ Barker | June 27, 2023 (Orbit)    

July

Yumi and the Nightmare Painter (Book 3 of 4: Secret Projects) | by Brandon Sanderson |  July 11, 2023 (TOR ebook)
The Saint of Bright Doors by Vajra Chandrasekera | Jul 11, 2023 (Tor)
The Traitor (The Covenant of Steel #3) by Anthony Ryan | Jul 11, 2023 (Orbit)
The Judas Blossom (The Nightingale and the Falcon #1) by Stephen Aryan | July 11, 2023 (Angry Robot)
Blade of Dream (Kithamar #2) by Daniel Abraham – July 18, 2023 (Orbit)
Light Bringer: A Red Rising Novel by Pierce Brown – July 25, 2023 (Del Rey)

August

Cassiel's Servant (Kushiel's Legacy #4) by Jacqueline Carey | Aug 1, 2023 (Tor)
Inanna: The Sumerians (The Sumerians trilogy #1) by Emily H. Wilson | Aug 1, 2023 (Titan Books)
Wild Spaces by S. L. Coney | Aug 1, 2023 (Tor)
Looking Glass Sound by Catriona Ward | Aug 8, 2023 (Tor Nightfire)
Knight's Wyrd by Debra Doyle and James D. Macdonald | Aug 22, 2023 (Tor)
He Who Drowned the World (The Radiant Emperor Book 2) by Shelley Parker-Chan | Aug 24, 2023 (Tor)

September
Small Change: The Complete Trilogy: Farthing, Ha'penny, Half a Crown by Jo Walton | Sep 5, 2023 (Tor)
Starter Villain by John Scalzi | Sep 19, 2023 (Tor)

October

The Doors of Midnight (Tales of Tremaine Book 2) by R.R. Virdi | Oct 3, 2023 (Tor)
Exordia by Seth Dickinson | Oct 17, 2023 (Tor)
Traitor of Redwinter (The Redwinter Chronicles, 2) by Ed McDonald | Oct 24, 2023 (Tor)
Starling House by Alix E. Harrow | Oct 31, 2023 (Tor)
The Wolfe At The Door by Gene Wolfe | Oct 31, 2023 (Tor)

December

All The Hidden Paths (The Tithenai Chronicles Book 2) by Foz Meadows | Dec 5, 2023 (Tor)

Edited by AncalagonTheBlack

Thanks for the list! 

Definitely looking forward to Scarlet by Genevieve Cogman, which will be kicking off her new series. Also to Blade of Dream by Daniel Abraham. I liked Age of Ash, but was intrigued by it rather than loving it. Still, happy to see where he takes the next book. 

I'd rather Samantha Shannon finished her Bone Season series than wrote prequels to Priory of the Orange Tree, which I don't feel I need, but whatever. It might be good. 

And The Winds of Winter is definitely going to be released this year! I have faith. 

Not on the list, but Philip Pullman has said that the conclusion of his Book of Dust trilogy will be ready by September. I'm not sure what 'ready' means (drafted on napkins? undergoing copyediting? published and on the shelves?) but am happy it's progressing. 

The Sinister Booksellers of Bath by Garth Nix should be fun, and will be out in March, shortly after my birthday. 

And the unstoppable Adrian Tchaikovsky also has a fantasy novel release on the following day, And Put Away Childish Things.

Turns out there are things to look forward to in 2023. It won't just be me praying nightly for the destruction of Putin, the Tory party and Rupert Murdoch.

On 1/6/2023 at 10:43 AM, AncalagonTheBlack said:

April

A Woman of the Sword by Anna Smith Spark | Apr 4, 2023 (Luna Press)

One I'm really looking forward too.

Release in April, but not available for ebook prepurchase on Amazon. I thought prepurchases were really important.

Storming Heaven by Miles Cameron coming out on July 20,2023: https://www.amazon.com/Storming-Heaven-Age-Bronze-Book-ebook/dp/B0BNBC5XHD?ref_=ast_sto_dp

The first book was enjoyable.  

Benedict Jacka also has a new novel coming out, an Inheritance of Magic, on 1 Oct 2023.  https://benedictjacka.co.uk/ 

What are people most excited about? I haven't picked up the Adrian Tchaikovsky new series yet (waiting for it to be completed and also Shadows of the Apt kind of scarred me with its length and grimness).

In terms of books we are waiting on, I can offer Arkady Martine, Brian Staveley and Jim Butcher as authors whose next novels I am eagerly awaiting but don't have an ETA.  

52 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

In terms of books we are waiting on, I can offer Arkady Martine, Brian Staveley and Jim Butcher as authors whose next novels I am eagerly awaiting but don't have an ETA.  

I think Arkady Martine's series is finished isn't it? I'm sure she'll write something else but I don't think we're waiting on a sequel.

I always enjoy Tchaikovsky and Cameron's books (and they pretty reliably publish a lot of them) so whatever we get from them this year will hopefully be good. A couple of books from Kate Elliot will also be nice and I like the Murderbot Diaries so I'm interested to see what Witch King by Martha Wells is like. I also like Chris Wooding's books but I have to admit I'm struggling a bit to recall the details of the first book in his current series so I might have to do a reread.

2 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

I think Arkady Martine's series is finished isn't it? I'm sure she'll write something else but I don't think we're waiting on a sequel.

I always enjoy Tchaikovsky and Cameron's books (and they pretty reliably publish a lot of them) so whatever we get from them this year will hopefully be good. A couple of books from Kate Elliot will also be nice and I like the Murderbot Diaries so I'm interested to see what Witch King by Martha Wells is like. I also like Chris Wooding's books but I have to admit I'm struggling a bit to recall the details of the first book in his current series so I might have to do a reread.

Also quite psyched for Witch King. 

Just checked and haven't seen anything about a new book from Arkady Martine this year. Don't think she has an account on the board, so I can't try the Westeros summon author superpower.(Though, Arkady, if you are reading this, please write more in the Teixcalaan series.) 

Lucifer & Son, book 3 of my Sooty Feathers gothic supernatural/urban fantasy series (set in Victorian Scotland), is due out this year (second half  , probably near the end of the year). Assuming I finish and submit it on time to the publisher. Will update with a date when known.

Edited by Derfel Cadarn

Another one is Shannon Chakraborty's first in a new trilogy, The Adventures of Amina Al-Sarafi published 2nd March.

I wonder if we'll get Susanna Clarke's new book The Cistern this year? I think it was meant to be out, but doesn't seem to have a release date.

Anyone know when we might get Steven Erikson's sequel to The God is Not Willing?

5 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

What are people most excited about? I haven't picked up the Adrian Tchaikovsky new series yet (waiting for it to be completed and also Shadows of the Apt kind of scarred me with its length and grimness).

I'd like to read the conclusion to Tchaikovsky's trilogy and am also interested in Max Gladstone's return to the Craft world.

Other books I'll likely buy when they come out are the ones by Aaronovitch, Bardugo, Chakraborty, Leckie, Elliot, Ken MacLeod, Ian McDonald and @Derfel Cadarn

I'm sure Tchaikovsky will also release at least one more novel we don't know about, he can't have just two books coming out in a year.

Hopefully Lois McMaster Bujold publishes something new as well, she does tend to announce things about a month before they come out.

15 hours ago, williamjm said:

Another one is Shannon Chakraborty's first in a new trilogy, The Adventures of Amina Al-Sarafi published 2nd March.

I wonder if we'll get Susanna Clarke's new book The Cistern this year? I think it was meant to be out, but doesn't seem to have a release date.

Anyone know when we might get Steven Erikson's sequel to The God is Not Willing?

I'd like to read the conclusion to Tchaikovsky's trilogy and am also interested in Max Gladstone's return to the Craft world.

Other books I'll likely buy when they come out are the ones by Aaronovitch, Bardugo, Chakraborty, Leckie, Elliot, Ken MacLeod, Ian McDonald and @Derfel Cadarn

I'm sure Tchaikovsky will also release at least one more novel we don't know about, he can't have just two books coming out in a year.

Hopefully Lois McMaster Bujold publishes something new as well, she does tend to announce things about a month before they come out.

I didn't even know Susanna Clarke had a new novel coming out.  That's excellent news.  With a talent of her calibre, I'm just happy she's writing. 

I'll swallow my dislike for nautical novels and buy Chakraborty's book when it comes out.   And I try to read everything Aaronovitch writes. 

Tchaikovsky's new series: is it depressing? Is it flabby?

5 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

I didn't even know Susanna Clarke had a new novel coming out.  That's excellent news.  With a talent of her calibre, I'm just happy she's writing.

I seem to remember it was described as a two-book deal back when she re-emerged, for Piranesi and this (apparently unrelated) new book.

Tchaikovsky's new series: is it depressing? Is it flabby?

The backstory features huge alien beings who have destroyed many planets, including Earth, for reasons that are completely inscrutable and the human diaspora is deeply traumatised by this, so I guess you could say it's not exactly cheery. It's probably quite similar in tone to Tchaikovsky's other books. I think it's probably better paced overall than Shadows of the Apt was.

4 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Amazon has Adrian Tchaikovsky's Children of Memory, sequel to Children of Time/Ruin, listed for Jan. 31. While I had trouble getting into his other big SF series, I am excited for this one.

It was out here a couple of months ago. It wasn't my favourite book in the series, but it is still good and did some interesting new things.

Edited by williamjm

Lots of books of interest, including Scalzi, Wells, McDevitt, Tchaikovsky, Cronin, Keyes, Elliot, Ryan, etc.  

Also looking forward to book 3 of Sooty Feathers.

Good to hear the next in the Bronze age series by Miles Cameron is coming, but any word on the next book in his SF series, the sequel to Artifact Space?

Would also love another Penric and Desdemona novella or full blown novel.