Harry and Meghan. - This is NOT the Andrew Tate Thread.

Pebble thats Stubby

8 minutes ago, Wade1865 said:

@BBB Jacelyn -- I’m being facetious, of course; but yep, chapter 23 would have been useful. Boggles the mind how someone with his resources, talents, and experiences failed to play The Game, even now.

Alternatively, this online source could have also helped.

If harry wanted to know how to be a sex trafficker and rapist he’d ask his uncle.

38 minutes ago, Wade1865 said:

@BBB Jacelyn -- I’m being facetious, of course; but yep, chapter 23 would have been useful. Boggles the mind how someone with his resources, talents, and experiences failed to play The Game, even now.

Alternatively, this online source could have also helped.

Well that's why, when I make it to the end, I'm gonna leave explicit instructions for construction of a Kafes like the Ottomans had to house my most politically relevant descendants. 

The flaws of a Versailles-style distraction for the nobles are apparent in American culture today. Too much fetishization of braindead wealthiness and it's just fucking wasteful besides. 

A Kafes is a much better idea. The bureaucrats and generals can bicker over whomever they wanna elevate outta there to be Empress of the Americas, and if she's more or less insane than you were hoping for just do whatever with her and try again! 

Very stable system.

A very stable, genius, system! You're welcome, America(s)!

25 minutes ago, BBB Jacelyn said:

The flaws of a Versailles-style distraction for the nobles are apparent in American culture today. Too much fetishization of braindead wealthiness and it's just fucking wasteful besides.

BBB Jacelyn -- yes, that rings true; and more so than what I remember in my youth.

There was an interesting documentary on American (Californian, Gen-X, ???) kids who grew up rich, or socialized / schooled with them. Must have been the mid- to late-90s. I believe a follow-up documentary showed every one of them turned out poorly (financially and otherwise).

Socioculturally, I’m sure things will only get better in America despite Instagram and TikTok. Actually, no; it won’t.

5 hours ago, BBB Jacelyn said:

That, The Prince, ought'to've. 

I love that book.

”Men will more readily forgive the loss of their parents than their patrimony” is a line that always makes me laugh.

Having handled numerous disputes over wills, it rings so true.

On 1/6/2023 at 1:36 PM, DMC said:

I agree with @James Arryn that Harry & Meghan have basically become the Kardashians.  I have absolutely no interest in their incredibly self-involved profiteering. 

However, why anyone cares about their popularity/polling in the UK is hilarious to me.  They ditched the UK, and are now making millions off of doing so.  You sound like a spurned lover who can't get over it -- they're just not that into you!

I for one congratulate them on their, "self-involved profiteering."

It seems to me that the biggest single contribution the Royal family make to British public life is to provide gossip for the British press to report on. The British press publish royal tittle-tattle because there's an incredibly huge appetite for it. In servicing that appetite, they've basically made this guys life miserable for years. Imagine going to school as a child and there's a gaggle of press waiting for you; following you on vacation; contributing to the deterioration of your parents marriage, contributing to your mothers death, platforming Samantha Markle Grant during the engagement, (possibly) manipulating Thomas Markle, etc.

...And the whole time, being bound to service this madness by the terms of the Royal Rota. This is a business.

Harry and Megan clearly decided, "Fine, You want tea? WE will spill the tea." We will decide who we do interviews with and on what terms. We will produce our own documentary. We will write our own tell all books." And all those Royal correspondents and tabloid clowns? They get to see the stuff the same time everyone else does. All they can do is react.   

Good on them. 

ETA: and make no mistake, a good deal of the hostility coming from the tabloid so-and-so's to all this stuff is down to the fact that they no longer have access when it comes to those two. 

22 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Harry and Megan clearly decided, "Fine, You want tea? WE will spill the tea." We will decide who we do interviews with and on what terms. We will produce our own documentary. We will write our own tell all books." And all those Royal correspondents and tabloid clowns? They get to see the stuff the same time everyone else does. All they can do is react.   

Good on them. 

ETA: and make no mistake, a good deal of the hostility coming from the tabloid so-and-so's to all this stuff is down to the fact that they no longer have access when it comes to those two. 

Problem with that theory is that this has all been an absolute gold rush for the tabloids, every dumb story Harry bring out about a fight with William or his frostbitten dick just creates tons of new content and clicks for the media. They love it. The whole love hate thing that Harry and Meghan create just gets even more eyes on their news sites. I don't think they give a shit as to whether they have access directly to Harry, it doesn't matter because they still get everything they need from reporting on what he's said. 

4 hours ago, Wade1865 said:

BBB Jacelyn -- yes, that rings true; and more so than what I remember in my youth.

There was an interesting documentary on American (Californian, Gen-X, ???) kids who grew up rich, or socialized / schooled with them. Must have been the mid- to late-90s. I believe a follow-up documentary showed every one of them turned out poorly (financially and otherwise).

Socioculturally, I’m sure things will only get better in America despite Instagram and TikTok. Actually, no; it won’t.

Amistics 

1 hour ago, SeanF said:

I love that book.

”Men will more readily forgive the loss of their parents than their patrimony” is a line that always makes me laugh.

Having handled numerous disputes over wills, it rings so true.

It's actually funny Wade brought it up, I grabbed it on audible this past summer/fall because obviously nothing beats a physical book. But I sometimes enjoy revisiting stuff, especially if I don't have a copy, or taking in certain kinds of non-fiction with my ears instead of my eyes. I pay for the app, gotta put it to work! 

Anyways, I was gonna give it a listen now that I'm older and wiser, but it got bumped by Malcolm Nance's new book and then a succession of biographies and Anand Giridharadas... I am a compulsive multitasker...

Anyway, this has been an episode of Jace's Excuses for Not Being Sharp as She Should Be: Niccolo Machiavelli edition

8 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Problem with that theory is that this has all been an absolute gold rush for the tabloids, every dumb story Harry bring out about a fight with William or his frostbitten dick just creates tons of new content and clicks for the media.

Which would be no different of the Sussexes did nothing. They were doing nothing when they were staying on Vancouver Island and the paparazzi followed them out there after a few weeks. There were literally hundreds of anti-Megan stories published by the English tabloids during the weekend of QE's funeral and all they did to provoke that was show up. 

12 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

They love it. The whole love hate thing that Harry and Meghan create just gets even more eyes on their news sites. I don't think they give a shit as to whether they have access directly to Harry, it doesn't matter because they still get everything they need from reporting on what he's said. 

Exactly. they do love it. I'd love someone to say to any of these tabloid idiots, "If your problem with them is that they're attention seeking drama queens, why the hell don't you just stop reporting on them? I dare you to stop reporting on them."

And they might be reacting to what has been said or printed (totally honestly, I'm sure), but they weren't the ones who scored the interviews. How pissed off do you think Piers Morgan was that Oprah got the Harry and Megan interview and he didn't? Or that it was Anderson Cooper who sat down with Harry to talk about his new book?

And make no mistake, the stuff that these idiots are screeching about in Harry's book? The stuff they're clutching their pearls over for "betraying the royal family"? They would have gladly reported every word of it if it came from their sources and appeared in their tabloids first. Only it'll be Harry's book people will be buying.

Archived