Harry and Meghan. - This is NOT the Andrew Tate Thread.

Pebble thats Stubby

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Guess you just have a narrower definition of rich than I do. If you want to argue that's not rich in LA, fine, but she was still in or around a top 5% income earner which I think most would qualify as rich. 

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/heres-what-it-takes-to-be-considered-rich-in-la/

There's a difference between being rich and I think what you have in mind, which is fuck you money. 

Suits was filmed in Toronto and Meghan lived not that far from my daughter's old neighbourhood in a reasonably nice part of the city. If the show did 26 episodes a year, she made a decent sum of money each year. Suits is still playing on reruns and everytime it does Meghan collects a cheque for residuals. 7 years woth is a good bit of change and enough to have her set for life in a comfortable way. Remember too that Harry came to Toronto and a mutual friend introduced them. She did not search him out.

2 minutes ago, Ran said:

Most Americans consider a net worth of ~$2 million to be considered wealthy. The idea that someone who has a net worth of $20 million is only "barely" rich is ... well, it's a very idiosyncratic, minority view.

I'm shocked that we've a thread to rival Page Six in gossip and tattle about two celebrities, but such is life in the 21st century.

I think Harry and Megan were always objectively rich (at least once they became Harry & Megan), but financial independence for them consistent with their self-perception/status was a combined net worth of at least $~30-50 million.  That kind of net worth assures them the expensive home, the year-around security, the private jet flights, and most importantly the peace of mind that they can live off the interest when the media caravan moves on.  Call it the Barack and Michelle model. 

Once you account for agency fees, taxes, legal costs, etc. they are probably not quite there yet.  And they've played their best cards now.  

It's also important to keep in mind what they were walking away from.  The Queen gave each of her children a stately home worth $20-25 million, as well as other private distributions in her will.  Charles is pretty penny-pinching, but he probably would have done the same for Harry upon accession or in due course.  They also had a significant allowance to support their royal duties, and would have lived off the British taxpayer/civil list funding for the rest of their lives in return for 2-3 days a week cutting ribbons and making small talk. 

The broader significance of the Harry & Megan saga that we should all welcome is dropping the veil of fondness/affection for this peculiar and sprawling British institution.  We never needed the Dukes of Kent and Gloucester, or the Queen's three other children, sister and mother supposedly sprinkling royal fairy dust over all of us plebs.  Good riddance, and thank you, to Harry and Megan for monetizing their brief membership in this institution for financial independence from the Crown (and by extension us).  Thank you Charles, for slimming down the monarchy.   We need the King, the Prince of Wales, and his eldest child.  The rest should fend for themselves.  

And thank you, Harry, for giving us clear evidence that William doesn't have the character to be King.  If the evident laziness were not enough, we also have infidelity (repeated if you believe the prince of pegging rumors), pettiness and profound lack of character revealed by one of the people who knew him best.  The goal should be a referendum before the next accession converting the British monarchy into a purely private institution with no constitutional functions or abolishing it altogether.  

15 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

It’s a matter of perspective surely. To all of us $20 million is a lot of money, the sort of thing we could enjoy for the rest of our lives. But to the sort of circles Meghan and Harry move around in; that kind of money is nothing special, it might even be considered poor to some.

Ah, so arbitrary? Where do you draw the line, and why? What do the top 0.00000000000000000001% think is rich, and why should that somehow hijack the meaning of the word, for example? Is that more or less valid that choosing to define rich by the standards of the top 0.0003%.

But more to the point, if your whole argument is that A) rich is only relative to your life experience and b) that Meghan completely controls Harry, and lastly C) Meghan was not actually rich before Harry, so she has lower standards…wouldn’t the combination of these mean that she’ll be able to be happy with less and be able to make Harry follow suit? Meaning your point has no ‘there’ there. 

Again, though, you probably know what Meghan thinks is rich, how much she has, and how dissatisfied with that she is/will be because you are somehow the spokesperson for her internal thoughts, motivations and private behaviour. 

24 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Even cheap cars now cost more than $30K, so yeah, to me a $100K car is upper middle class, not rich,especially if you're paying it off over time.  I would say you would need at least a $3M or more house to be considered 'rich'. 

But,whatever, my personal idea of rich v. the top tier of upper middle class is not really important. 

**There are all those studies that show that almost everyone in the US thinks they are middle class, whether they fall statistically as poor or 'rich'.  I guess I have fallen prey to this thinking.

Nah. Take an aunt and uncle of mine for example. They're in their mid and late 70's respectively and live in Sonoma. When I last visited them just as the pandemic started to become a thing in the US my uncle joked that he kept getting his house appraised for just under $1M and wanted to add something on so he could say it was. They always have two new cars, combined value I would guess is in the $150-200k range right now. They're members of a fancy golf club, wine club and are investing in a vineyard. They travel every month, sometimes for months at a time abroad.  Pretty sure most people would call them rich, especially because they have planned to live very well for a long time ahead. Having a $3M house is nice, but that could just be a mirage. Creating long term wealth is what it really means to be rich. 

10 minutes ago, maarsen said:

Suits was filmed in Toronto and Meghan lived not that far from my daughter's old neighbourhood in a reasonably nice part of the city. If the show did 26 episodes a year, she made a decent sum of money each year. Suits is still playing on reruns and everytime it does Meghan collects a cheque for residuals. 7 years woth is a good bit of change and enough to have her set for life in a comfortable way. Remember too that Harry came to Toronto and a mutual friend introduced them. She did not search him out.

Didn't you hear the news? Meghan killed the dinosaurs! 

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Nah. Take an aunt and uncle of mine for example. They're in their mid and late 70's respectively and live in Sonoma. When I last visited them just as the pandemic started to become a thing in the US my uncle joked that he kept getting his house appraised for just under $1M and wanted to add something on so he could say it was. They always have two new cars, combined value I would guess is in the $150-200k range right now. They're members of a fancy golf club, wine club and are investing in a vineyard. They travel every month, sometimes for months at a time abroad.  Pretty sure most people would call them rich, especially because they have planned to live very well for a long time ahead. Having a $3M house is nice, but that could just be a mirage. Creating long term wealth is what it really means to be rich. 

I mean my house is worth almost $1M, and I am not rich.  I buy everything on clearance and shop at Aldis.  And I don't think a net worth of $2M, including your primary residence is 'rich' either.  I concede this is apparently a minority view.

Just now, BBB Jacelyn said:

Didn't some motherfucker say that true wealth is freedom from daily toil or something? 

Just don't tell me it was Stalin...

There are a million definitions…’if your money works for you more than you work for your money’ is one.

1 minute ago, Cas Stark said:

I mean my house is worth almost $1M, and I am not rich.  I buy everything on clearance and shop at Aldis.  And I don't think a net worth of $2M, including your primary residence is 'rich' either.  I concede this is apparently a minority view.

Assets-liabilities = net worth. You could have a $2m house and $2.4million in debt and have a net worth of -400k.

4 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

You are not 'rich' 

What less than poor must me and those like me identify as to make you feel less lightly in your treasures?

2 minutes ago, Ran said:

Assets-liabilities = net worth. You could have a $2m house and $2.4million in debt and have a net worth of -400k.

I wil take. 1 fake 400,000 digi-bucks in "debt" in return for terra firma, please! 

If you have a house you are rich. You'd all know that if you were as down with what "privilege" is as you think.

2 minutes ago, BBB Jacelyn said:

You are not 'rich' 

What less than poor must me and those like me identify as to make you feel less lightly in your treasures?

I wil take. 1 fake 400,000 digi-bucks in "debt" in return for terra firma, please! 

If you have a house you are rich. You'd all know that if you were as down with what "privilege" is as you think.

‘We’re all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.’ O.W.

Tenuously relevant, but a hell of a line. 

26 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

William doesn't have the character to be King.  If the evident laziness were not enough, we also have infidelity (repeated if you believe the prince of pegging rumors), pettiness and profound lack of character revealed by one of the people who knew him best. 

Like father, like son.

10 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Not trying to give you financial advise, but personally I'd opt for a less expensive property so I can shop at more high end stores and improve QoL elsewhere. To each their own. I don't think I'll ever need a super expensive place and I'd rather save some of that money to see the world. I believe that would make me a rich man in its own way.

6 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Well, to be completely accurate, Peddie declining to lock up 19 year old T-Mac to pair with his 22 year old cousin Vince Carter was the real killer.

Could average 100 with Carter on the Dreamcast. Just dunk it a few times and then he barely ever missed. When he was tired you brought in T-Mac and just did the same thing. Loved the Raptors as a kid. One of the best logos in sports too.

But your championship was bullshit and you know it.

Probably, also, British and American views of what constitutes “rich” are different.

We’d probably say net wealth of £1m is rich, but it’s not really.  13% of the population have that net wealth. £1m means an average house in London, plus a decent-sized pension.

Archived