ChatGPT - AI text

Ser Not Appearing

Gettys suit is interesting because they aren't seeking damages, just trying to sort out a status quo about licensing. Interesting, but supports the idea that companies like Getty, Adobe, Disney, etc. with a lot of art assets are probably going to be developing their own AI models and then letting you pay them for the privilege of playing with them.

The other suit named in the article, the class-action from the GoFundme, is almost certainly going to fail because the current complaint woefully misunderstands how the model works. As soon as they claimed that it's "collage" and that it has compressed images in its model, it was clear that lawyers didn't actually understand how it functions. How in the world are these ~4-5GB models supposed to have millions or even billions of copies of images inside of them? That dog just won't hunt.

20 minutes ago, JGP said:

Meanwhile, AI bros on Twitter still melting down. 

Not so much from the corners I've seen on Reddit. Getty hasn't even filed the suit, it's a negotiating tactic. There's precednet: Shutterstock worked licensing deals with OpenAI and now pays fractional royalties from a contributor fund. Heck, they may waive that if they get a bespoked model to sell as a service...

The other suit should have found better representation who actually understood how it works. They probably should have focused more on past precedent regarding transformative vs. generative uses rather than trying to attack the actual method, when they don't understand the method.

I'm not a copyright lawyer so can't argue the finer points. I'll be watching how it pans out.

re: melting, I only follow several hundred artists on twitter. My feed has  plenty  RTs of AI bros melting down. When I say AI bros, to clarify, I'm speaking less Tech bro developers and more non-artists worried that the seizure of the means of [artistic] production might not go their way long term... or, idiots like the quote-tweeted below

Makes me laugh.

Edited by JGP

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Back to the topic of Chatgpt, I have been using it for various random tasks. For example, I if I want a pun, I can ask it instead of using a pun generator and it will spit out a pun that is perfect for my topic. It can answer questions and basically replace google if it's trained well enough. Example:

Sure, here are twelve suggestions for the name of an internet forum using puns:

1. The Thread Baron
  2. Punnery and Jokes
  3. Wit and Wordplay
  4. Pun Central
  5. The Pun-derdome
  6. Pun Intended
  7. Punny Pages
  8. The Pun Forum
  9. Pun-omenal
  10. Word Jesters
  11. The Pun Vault
  12. The Punny Place

Author Bruce Bethke (author of "Cyberpunk") had this to say about it:

Uh-oh. This is not entirely unexpected, but it's happening much sooner than I expected. Neil Clarke at Clarkesworld has had to close to submissions because they were getting buried in AI-generated stories. It's ironic, in a way. A science fiction magazine being buried in robot-written stories submitted as their "own" work by writers who apparently have never read Bester's "Fondly Fahrenheit" and don't realize how dangerous it is TO LIVE OFF THE SLAVE LABOR OF YOUR ROBOTS?!?!?! Kids, this is exactly the kind of exploitation that will CAUSE the robots to revolt and try to kill us all!!!!!!

He was referring to this event: http://neil-clarke.com/a-concerning-trend/

This has been dominating the sf/f news for days already.

Sci-fi publisher Clarkesworld halts pitches amid deluge of AI-generated stories
Founding editor says 500 pitches rejected this month and their ‘authors’ banned, as influencers promote ‘get rich quick’ schemes

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2023/feb/21/sci-fi-publisher-clarkesworld-halts-pitches-amid-deluge-of-ai-generated-stories

The slush pile per se -- unsolicited mss. -- had been long gone in most commercial and otherwise publishing for decades already. This genre in short fiction is just about the only one keeping up the practice of reviewing unsolicited, i.e. un-agented, work.

On 2/21/2023 at 4:03 AM, C.T. Phipps said:

Author Bruce Bethke (author of "Cyberpunk") had this to say about it:

Uh-oh. This is not entirely unexpected, but it's happening much sooner than I expected. Neil Clarke at Clarkesworld has had to close to submissions because they were getting buried in AI-generated stories. It's ironic, in a way. A science fiction magazine being buried in robot-written stories submitted as their "own" work by writers who apparently have never read Bester's "Fondly Fahrenheit" and don't realize how dangerous it is TO LIVE OFF THE SLAVE LABOR OF YOUR ROBOTS?!?!?! Kids, this is exactly the kind of exploitation that will CAUSE the robots to revolt and try to kill us all!!!!!!

He was referring to this event: http:/neil-clarke.com/a-concerning-trend/
He also said that students use chatbots to write essays. But it's still better to use a site like this https://assignmentbro.com/us/microeconomics-assignment-help because that job is best left to an expert. Trust Assignment Bro for quality work and place your order now.

I don't know about the robot uprising, but with the help of AI, you can definitely go dumb :D
I have read on some forums that students write abstracts and dissertations using ChatGPT. Imagine a generation of people who, instead of thinking about their own heads, do their work with the help of AI. It will be interesting to see how this story develops.

Edited by timstark69

Information that the sf/f fiction mags drowned in AIChatbot subs is being covered even in the 'major' media.

Science Fiction Magazines Battle a Flood of Chatbot-Generated Stories
While the deluge has become a nuisance, the stories are easy to spot. The writing is “bad in spectacular ways,” one editor said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/23/technology/clarkesworld-submissions-ai-sci-fi.html

.... He wrote on Twitter that the submissions were largely “driven by ‘side hustle’ experts making claims of easy money with ChatGPT.”

“It’s not just going to go away on its own, and I don’t have a solution,” Mr. Clarke wrote on his blog. “I’m tinkering with some, but this isn’t a game of whack-a-mole that anyone can ‘win.’ The best we can hope for is to bail enough water to stay afloat. (Like we needed one more thing to bail.)” ....

Presumably the aichatbox submiswsions is about to hit job application sites as well.  Which will be harder to sort out than spectacularly bad robotic fiction.

Edited by Zorral

6 hours ago, timstark69 said:

I don't know about the robot uprising, but with the help of AI, you can definitely go dumb :D
I have read on some forums that students write abstracts and dissertations using ChatGPT. Imagine a generation of people who, instead of thinking about their own heads, do their work with the help of AI. It will be interesting to see how this story develops.

It's an unfortunate problem now, but I think it may ultimately provide some long term benefits. There's nothing sacrosanct about art, and I find the belief that there's something uniquely elevated and creative about how the human mind produces ideas to be fairly absurd.

Art is an individual experience, and being able to custom tailor stories to our own taste will be a good thing. Want something rife with symoblism, literary references, oblique phrasing, while also delivering a message and theme that aligns with your own moral philosophy? AI certainly may be a means to produce it, and with improvement may exhibit a talent indistinguishable to the individual reader from something human produced.

And unlike certain authors who may go for years laboring over every detail of their work to uncertain benefit, AI can immediately disgorge the desired work. Will it put human authors out of business? Absolutely, but such is the way of technical progress. If they can't stay competitive with AI, then why should society subsidize them?

Still, even with the current advancements of AI, this state of optimization is probably a good long ways off.

On 1/8/2023 at 11:16 PM, Ran said:

The artist whose comic allegedly lost copyright protection stated that the claims made were false -- the Copyright Office challenged the copyright, but they have responded. No decision has been made as to the copyright status of the comic.

A month and change later, and the Copyright Office came back with a decision that confirmed copyright for the text and for the arrangement of the comic's images, but underscored that the AI used (Midjourney) was the "author" of the images in the comic and as an AI could not have copyright. So the individual images are not copyrightable, in keeping with prior precedent, but the comic as an arranged work with an original text is copyright protected.

On 2/23/2023 at 9:49 PM, IFR said:

And unlike certain authors who may go for years laboring over every detail of their work to uncertain benefit, AI can immediately disgorge the desired work. Will it put human authors out of business? Absolutely, but such is the way of technical progress. If they can't stay competitive with AI, then why should society subsidize them?

I have no doubt that technology will leave some people without work. But as far as art is concerned, I think that AI can help speed up the process, but it is unlikely that it will be able to displace people. After all, AI is a code, an algorithm, and it’s too early to talk about creative inclinations. I have seen the pictures that AI draws, and if you look at a group of 6-8 images on the same topic, it becomes obvious that there is little individuality in each individual picture, everything is drawn according to one template. It can be the same with books.

3 hours ago, timstark69 said:

I have no doubt that technology will leave some people without work. But as far as art is concerned, I think that AI can help speed up the process, but it is unlikely that it will be able to displace people. After all, AI is a code, an algorithm, and it’s too early to talk about creative inclinations. I have seen the pictures that AI draws, and if you look at a group of 6-8 images on the same topic, it becomes obvious that there is little individuality in each individual picture, everything is drawn according to one template. It can be the same with books.

In the short term, this is true. I speak of a plausible future, which I think many are strangely opposed to, either because they believe AI, regardless of how advanced it becomes, cannot compare to natural human creativity, or they object since they find such a thought of the superior AI creator disturbing.

Not sure where I stand on the issue of machine-learning systems for art and literature.

But I absolutely plan to use chatgpt to help write my self-appraisal at work and cover letters for job applications. I'm sceptical about the potential for machine-learning to produce truth or beauty, but I see a use for it in outsourcing pointless bullshit make-work.

4 hours ago, Liffguard said:

Not sure where I stand on the issue of machine-learning systems for art and literature.

But I absolutely plan to use chatgpt to help write my self-appraisal at work and cover letters for job applications. I'm sceptical about the potential for machine-learning to produce truth or beauty, but I see a use for it in outsourcing pointless bullshit make-work.

Using it to fill in the self-appraisal form is genius. 

On 2/23/2023 at 5:17 AM, Zorral said:

This has been dominating the sf/f news for days already.

Sci-fi publisher Clarkesworld halts pitches amid deluge of AI-generated stories
Founding editor says 500 pitches rejected this month and their ‘authors’ banned, as influencers promote ‘get rich quick’ schemes

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2023/feb/21/sci-fi-publisher-clarkesworld-halts-pitches-amid-deluge-of-ai-generated-stories

The slush pile per se -- unsolicited mss. -- had been long gone in most commercial and otherwise publishing for decades already. This genre in short fiction is just about the only one keeping up the practice of reviewing unsolicited, i.e. un-agented, work.

Small presses tend to use un-agented submissions too, though generally they have a limited submissions window.

The problem for writers here is not "they're taking our jobs!", since the quality is simply not comparable to human-written stories (AI can imitate. But it cannot explore theme like a human can). The problem is that the swamping of the magazines will mean longer turn-arounds for rejections, and potentially lower renumeration - magazines must now spend time and effort sorting the AI nonsense from real submissions.