NFL Playoffs 2023

mcbigski

13 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

They did have a few weird losses early on though even if you throw out the Bears game which was useless to judge a team on.

Yeah I was hungover and missed most of the Broncos loss but they were fairly healthy then, inexcusable.  The Falcons loss though they were pretty banged up and missing a a lot of key guys.  The Chiefs game IIRC they got a couple guys back and considering the trouncing is hard to blame on injuries. 

Anyway, the scary/promising thing is they came into today significantly more healthy than they've been all season (outside of QB of course).  Just hope they came out of it that way.  Based on the post-game presser sounds like Jennings and Ebukam were the only mentionables and aren't serious, but hopefully that holds up throughout the week.

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

Down 10 with a quarter left to play, I'm onside kicking it at the 50.

If the analytics told the Chargers to do that… that’s exactly what they’d do!

7 minutes ago, Rhom said:

If the analytics told the Chargers to do that… that’s exactly what they’d do!

Not sure analytics should matter here. There's only two bad outcomes, they return it or you kick it too short. The former is pretty unlikely, so just have a kick that's been practicing random shit like kicking the ball so it ideally goes 15 yards in a weird way. Kicking off like they did saved them maybe 15 yards. The opportunity was worth the risks.

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

Not sure analytics should matter here. There's only two bad outcomes, they return it or you kick it too short. The former is pretty unlikely, so just have a kick that's been practicing random shit like kicking the ball so it ideally goes 15 yards in a weird way. Kicking off like they did saved them maybe 15 yards. The opportunity was worth the risks.

Kinda poking fun at Staley who has never made a gut call in his life.

6 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Kinda poking fun at Staley who has never made a gut call in his life.

Have to disagree. He actually goes for it on 4th in less ideal instances and punts in situations I'd risk it. I think he believes in analytics and also applies it somewhat randomly. 

ETA: Which is what I'd do as well, tbf.

I might have advocated not going for two there.

on the basis that now, as they get the ball back, the Chargers know if they punt then JAX has 4 downs every play to get 3 for a win

So if you're JAX, and you're JACE in JAX you would kick the PAT. Let them have their 3 point lead 

It's still 4 downs to get to FG range (for OT at the least) anyways

So you can lull them into being more content with a punt on 4th and short maybe 

2 minutes ago, Trebla said:

Bosa should have been thrown out, not doing so makes the rule look arbitrary.

If Jax wins this, the Falcons and Oilers will have company as biggest playoff chokers.

Bills and Vikings get lifetime achievement awards in this category. 

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

All you picked the Jags, meanwhile I'm over here with my feet up.

Classic case of spoke too soon. One of the best comebacks I've ever seen.

Did I mention that I was a fan of Trevor's before he was even in college? :leaving:

Archived