NFL Playoffs 2023

mcbigski

Pork knuckle was the one dish a guy with us was looking forward to, he ate it almost every night we were there. I tried a few different things and schnitzel was the fall back.  Blood sausage does suck, as does sauerkraut, and man was it a weird experience watching people eat raw hamburger! Just put it on crackers and salted it and that was her meal.....? Just different is all.

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

Pork knuckle was the one dish a guy with us was looking forward to, he ate it almost every night we were there. I tried a few different things and schnitzel was the fall back.  Blood sausage does suck, as does sauerkraut, and man was it a weird experience watching people eat raw hamburger! Just put it on crackers and salted it and that was her meal.....? Just different is all.

Yeah, eating raw ground beef isn't something I can even wrap my mind around.

8 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I assume he ordered "Eisbein" (ham hock (?)). If so, I assure you it was cooked. 

Also, didn't know about your feet fetish, tell us more.

Anyway the weirder choices of food have gone extinct a few generation ago. I mean, I don't know anybody who has ever enjoyed a cockchafer soup. 

Foot fetish? Feet are gross. I'm just a nice guy and am willing to give my spouse a foot massage, but I don't like it. 

Anyway, no it hasn't. I still hear people talk about how raw meats are delicacies in Germany, see dbunting.

9 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Foot fetish? Feet are gross. I'm just a nice guy and am willing to give my spouse a foot massage, but I don't like it. 

Anyway, no it hasn't. I still hear people talk about how raw meats are delicacies in Germany, see dbunting.

The funniest part was that she explained when eating this at home they have the cat smell the meat and if the cat rejects it, they eat it cooked and if the cat tries to eat it, they eat it raw.  I guess cats know!

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Mettbrötchen (I assume that's what he means with raw hamburgers). Could never force myself to eat it. 

But then again, drawing lines wrt food (like pretty much anything in life) is kinda arbitrary. Raw meat yuk, but raw fish (sushi) delicious. Caviar on the other hand is yuk again.

7 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Mettbrötchen (I assume that's what he means with raw hamburgers). Could never force myself to eat it. 

But then again, drawing lines wrt food (like pretty much anything in life) is kinda arbitrary. Raw meat yuk, but raw fish (sushi) delicious. Caviar on the other hand is yuk again.

A buddy of mine was a trained sushi chef who worked at one of the hottest spots in Minneapolis. I told him I couldn't do it and he offered to make me a sample platter if I came in. I had to fight throwing up the few things I tried.

I wish I liked it, but it was gross.

32 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

A buddy of mine was a trained sushi chef who worked at one of the hottest spots in Minneapolis. I told him I couldn't do it and he offered to make me a sample platter if I came in. I had to fight throwing up the few things I tried.

I wish I liked it, but it was gross.

Same. Tried it once, one good bite, and had to stop on drive home and buy pepto and drank the whole bottle on way home. I only swallowed that bite because I was hosting some engineers from Japan and they were so happy and enthused about me trying it. Never again.

I love some raw sushi depending on the type. Kids do too. I think it's definitely an acquired taste and it's easy to not get it. 

But good salmon and tuna is amazingly tasty. 

Not gonna go do the raw hamburger though. Bleh. Hamburger isn't great on its own. MIght consider raw steak. Pork knee is incredbly good btw, and everyone who likes meat should try it.

Going back to raw meat being yukki. I have to make a qualifier there, since kal mentioned raw steak. Had some beef tartare once (my mum won a voucher for Christmas dinner at some fancy restaurant and this was part of the entree iirc, my mum didn't bother with hers, my dad and I went with the flow of food). I actually enjoyed it. 

19 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

Maybe sushi is like cilantro, you either love it or hate it, no middle ground.  I like both but don't eat much sushi these days due to sustainability issues.  

And I dislike both! For me it was the texture of the sushi. And cilantro gives me the soapy taste. I don't mind it used sparingly in salsa but that's it.

2 hours ago, dbunting said:

And cilantro gives me the soapy taste.

I don't mind it used sparingly in salsa but that's it.

The ultimate post where the first line ignited me to roast you and the second is like :agree:. I only really use it in homemade salsa.

Also, challenge laid down, my homemade salsa is better than all of yours! Especially in the late summer when my garden is  lush.

31 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

The ultimate post where the first line ignited me to roast you and the second is like :agree:. I only really use it in homemade salsa.

Also, challenge laid down, my homemade salsa is better than all of yours! Especially in the late summer when my garden is  lush.

I use it in my salsa, which is not better than anyones no matter how lush or dry my plants are that year!  My problem with cilantro is when its used by the handful in a burrito or taco.  Even in salsa I can detect it, but it's tolerable.

I'm having a lot of conflicting emotions about the weekend.

On the one hand, every bit of what I have witnessed this season makes me feel confident that the Niners will win tomorrow.

On the other hand, I have had some early-mid Nineties PTSD creeping in recently making me reluctant to really have fun and poke the bear with my friends who like to wear stars.  

:dunno:

14 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Going back to raw meat being yukki. I have to make a qualifier there, since kal mentioned raw steak. Had some beef tartare once (my mum won a voucher for Christmas dinner at some fancy restaurant and this was part of the entree iirc, my mum didn't bother with hers, my dad and I went with the flow of food). I actually enjoyed it. 

Yeah, I tried that on a date once and it wasn't bad.  Probably wouldn't order it again, but it was edible and I didn't get sick from it or anything like that.

35 minutes ago, dbunting said:

I use it in my salsa, which is not better than anyones no matter how lush or dry my plants are that year!  My problem with cilantro is when its used by the handful in a burrito or taco.  Even in salsa I can detect it, but it's tolerable.

Yeah, that can be a bit much when it's put in on its own and not ground up.

Anyways:

4 medium size tomatoes

2 medium size jalapenos

half of a red or yellow bell pepper

half of a green bell pepper

half of a head of cilantro

1/4 cup of garlic, fresh cut, but the pre minced version is fine too

1/4 cup of lime juice 

white sugar, vinegar and salt based on your preferences 

add more hot peppers of any kind if you know people want it spicy, except habaneros. Ghost peppers give better heat and flavor if people want something HOT

You're welcome. Grow most of this shit freshly and it's heaven. The cost to do so is really cheap and it's very rewarding work to maintain a garden. Every year I give so many peppers away to friends and coworkers.

Still can't find healthy chips that taste good though.

2 hours ago, Rhom said:

I'm having a lot of conflicting emotions about the weekend.

On the one hand, every bit of what I have witnessed this season makes me feel confident that the Niners will win tomorrow.

On the other hand, I have had some early-mid Nineties PTSD creeping in recently making me reluctant to really have fun and poke the bear with my friends who like to wear stars.  

/cdn-cgi/mirage/e7cdc3d1b42064bbcb7493ddaf3c1b2d3511a1895af109f2c96f899ee8a13be4/1440/https://asoiaf.westeros.org/uploads/emoticons/default_dunno.gif

Feels like the media has swung Cowboys in the past day or two, though not the money. As Eisen said, we’re living in a Cowboys universe when talking NFL, so I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised, that’s why I hate the Cowboys (and Yankees, Dodgers, Lakers, etc.)

For me this and last year’s teams were weird because before the babies I watched enough games to have a pretty good feel for most teams this time of year, but this year I’ve only seen like 1 non-9ers game so I don’t feel like I know the landscape. So when the media starts going in the other direction, it scares me a bit because I assume they know something I don’t. But the fact that the direction they’re running is Dallas also provides potential non-football answers to the question why. The upside is that the Niners would have to be pretty deaf to be looking past Dallas. The downside is that much more pressure on the guy with less than 2 months playing under his belt. 

2 hours ago, Rhom said:

:dunno:

When I was a kid I had the 1994-5 NFC Championship Game on VHS.  The one where the Niners went up 21-0 on the Cowboys in the first quarter and cruised to victory (even if the final score suggests otherwise).  I used to watch it frequently.  Dunno what happened to that tape, but yeah, I wish I had it now.

The Cowboys at their best can certainly beat the Niners.  And it looks like their close to their best, or at least were last week.  Should be similar to their annual meeting in the NFC Championship game which essentially was the real Super Bowl in the mid-90s.

Archived