NFL Playoffs 2023

mcbigski

2 hours ago, briantw said:

The QB situation in Indy makes it tough to really evaluate Reich as a head coach.  Was he the problem?  Or was the problem that his QBs the past few years have been backups and cast-offs?  The team certainly didn't look any better after he was fired.  The Colts were 3-5-1 this year with Reich and 1-7 with Saturday, including a seven game losing streak to close out the season.

Fine, whatever

Fuck Reich and his never-ending bag of excuses

His QBs were backups and cast-offs THAT HE CHOSE 

Reich wanted Rivers

Wanted Wentz

I don't know if it was Ballard or Reich who wanted Ryan, and to PAY Jacoby all that guaranteed money for NOTHING. Ballard should be fired the second the new coach signs his contract. That coach can bring one of his lickspittle buddies in to GM. 

59 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Saturday on the other hand, never should have gotten the interim job to start with, did poorly with the job when he had it, and should not even be under consideration for the full time gig.  The Colts were pretty clearly getting worse as the season went on. 

Irsay's team. 

Irsay was getting ripped off for years by this SadSanta fuck who parlayed a few hot streaks into eternal mediocrity. Fuck him

Saturday wasn't some yahoo from down the street. The man knew football. Does he have any business being a Head Coach? Absolutely not. 

But, as has already been suggested, he was just babysitting. And besides, you hypocritical fucks talk out both sides of your mouths about tanking until somebody actually FOR REAL THIS TIME does it. Fuck y'all 

(with love!) 

24 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

EDIT:  On Saturday, he was not qualified to be an interim coach.  Usually interim coaches are pulled from within because they know the team and the players and can provide stability.  Saturday was not.  Saturday had no NFL coaching experience of any kind.  His coaching resume was 3 middling years at a small prep school.  That's it.  That's not good enough to take the chair, even for just half a season.  If you want your team to be competitive and your rookies to develop, you need someone at the top who actually knows WTF they're doing. 

Reich kept trotting out this gimmick-bag offense of bell-whistle bullshit that operated exclusively within fifteen yards of the line of scrimmage. And five of those fifteen include the area BEHIND the line of scrimmage! 

I 'predicted' (ugh) all of this LAST YEAR. The pieces that were assembled for the roster, especially on offense, did not match with the goober dork who was trying to call plays like he's scratching them into the dirt at Pop Warner. To say nothing of how those pieces matched with each other. 

Matt Ryan and Michael Pittman and Jonathan Taylor are a great three-piece... If Matt Ryan was five years younger! If he could still go under center Basically Every Play, but not like ALWAYS or nothin... If he could still pop those balls in a sweet arc about 20-25 yards down field under the safety and behind the corner for Mr Tough Guy (for real!) Michael Pittman to come down with like a taller, longer, version of Anquan Bolden. And especially if he could make that pass FROM UNDER CENTER! 

But he can't

And Reich has no rhythm for offense. It's why Pederson didn't let him call plays. 

He had to go. 

The only thing I think Irsay did wrong is not firing Ballard. Maybe he has his reasons. 

Idk

And, like, just for the whatever or whatever

I am wary of Bienemy. It's not his fault. 

1) His name sounds like Be Enemy... It's not normally something I'd consider but bear with me for a second. 

2) Yo, this dude came onto the scene playing Cortana for the Master Chief. I don't know if you've seen Patrick Mahomes play a football, but it's a lot like watching a really REALLY good 13 year old on Mt Dew Gamer Fuel turn the difficulty down to EASY and just frivolisize in the violence. Like, I swear to god I've seen Swaggy P (That's what I call Mahomes, Swaggy P (the second) or "Swags") just refuse to use the trigger sometimes. Like he just sees he's up against a corridor of Grunts and just starts mashing the B button because he doesn't have to do anything else. 

Right, so, like that's not a reason to NOT hire the dude. That his name sounds like a sea creature and he kinda had like the best player I've ever seen from minute one of his career. 

It's just that I was always much much more impressed by what Flores accomplished on the Peninsula of Misfit Toys.

I like defensive coaches anyway. 

That's just my opinion

Mahomes and the constant knob slobbing still pisses me off though.  I know I'm in the minority here, but hear me out...

In Super Bowl against the Niners, the Chiefs are getting beaten like a drum.  They start to show some life.  Jimmy G has a wide open George Kittle streaking down the field.  He overthrows him as a Jimmy does.  The Chiefs go on to win.  BUT!!!!! If Jimmy G hits that one pass, the Chiefs lose.

Chiefs lose that game and here's Mahomes history:

2019:  Loses at home in the AFC Championship to the Pats
2020:  Loses the Super Bowl to the Niners
2021:  Loses the Super Bowl to the Bucs
2022:  Loses at home in the AFC Championship to the Bengals
2023:  Loses at home in the AFC Championship to the Bengals (its gonna happen)

So if an opposing QB doesn't overthrow a wide open target, the entire narrative on Mahomes is "Yeah he's great in the regular season... but he can't win the big games."  

JACE!!!!!  HE CAN'T WIN THE BIG ONE!!!!!!!!

You've beaten this drum before, and I still don't find it convincing.  Yes, the Chiefs could have lost to SF, but they also could have very easily won the 2019 Championship against the Pats (and very likely win the SB given how terrible Goff was).  Likewise the 2022 AFC Championship to the Bengals. 

If your complaint is that the Chiefs haven't absolutely stomped the competition then...sure I guess.  But who gives a shit?  For his entire career, the Chiefs defense has oscillated between being average and being bad.  Winning the Super Bowl with an average defense is really hard, and doing it with a bad defense is almost impossible.  Mahomes playoff stats are excellent.  30 tds, 7 picks, 106 rating, and that's against exclusively playoff teams.  The argument that Mahomes can't get it done in the playoffs is...ridiculous.

My point is, the argument isn't anywhere near consistent.  I'm not saying they need to stomp anyone.  

I'm saying that no matter how good they are, they haven't been winning anything other than when Jimmy gifted them one.

In the mainstream, hot take media that generally translates to exactly what I said:  "Can't win the big one."  Instead, he gets one win and he's the greatest player to ever pick up a football.  The extremes are ridiculous and that's what frustrates me.

Garbage hot takes are always garbage.  But I feel like you're countering a garbage hot take with one of your own. 

Sometimes player's legacy really does get reshaped by a single play, sometimes even a play where they aren't on the field.  Remember this play? This might be the legacy defining play of both Philip Rivers and LaDanian Tomlinsin, and they were both on the sideline. 

2 hours ago, Rhom said:

Mahomes and the constant knob slobbing still pisses me off though.  I know I'm in the minority here, but hear me out...

In Super Bowl against the Niners, the Chiefs are getting beaten like a drum.  They start to show some life.  Jimmy G has a wide open George Kittle streaking down the field.  He overthrows him as a Jimmy does.  The Chiefs go on to win.  BUT!!!!! If Jimmy G hits that one pass, the Chiefs lose.

Chiefs lose that game and here's Mahomes history:

2019:  Loses at home in the AFC Championship to the Pats
2020:  Loses the Super Bowl to the Niners
2021:  Loses the Super Bowl to the Bucs
2022:  Loses at home in the AFC Championship to the Bengals
2023:  Loses at home in the AFC Championship to the Bengals (its gonna happen)

So if an opposing QB doesn't overthrow a wide open target, the entire narrative on Mahomes is "Yeah he's great in the regular season... but he can't win the big games."  

JACE!!!!!  HE CAN'T WIN THE BIG ONE!!!!!!!!

But he did win the big one.

I call him the greatest I've ever seen because he could run any offense I've ever seen. All of 'em. Lamar's to Brady's in '02

And he'd run them all as best they could be run. 

I don't like that the rules of the game have been watered down to the point that he is speed-running through the regular season, but that's not his fault. 

Josh Allen wouldn't make it in the NFL of ten years ago. Mahomes would. 

Hell must be freezing over because I actually agree with Stephen A. Smith.  I refuse to click on the video, but saw a headline on ESPN where he says Purdy's starting job depends on the NFC Championship.  As we discussed before, I think it'd be virtually impossible for him not to be the Week 1 starter next year if the Niners make the Super Bowl.  However, if he comes back to earth against the Eagles - especially after the more middling performance against the Cowboys - I expect there to be a genuine competition in camp.

1 hour ago, briantw said:

Wouldn't Josh Allen ten years ago just be Cam Newton?

Please. Cam won a MVP and Heisman, a national title in college (with a pretty crappy team comparatively to recent champs) and took a team to the Owl. Josh has done what exactly? Oh right, he had one year where he stopped being bad Josh and then quickly went back to being a reckless turnover machine who has won nothing while leading the league in the one stat as a QB you cannot do. 

Put some respect on Cam's name!

2 hours ago, Rhom said:

My point is, the argument isn't anywhere near consistent.  I'm not saying they need to stomp anyone.  

I'm saying that no matter how good they are, they haven't been winning anything other than when Jimmy gifted them one.

In the mainstream, hot take media that generally translates to exactly what I said:  "Can't win the big one."  Instead, he gets one win and he's the greatest player to ever pick up a football.  The extremes are ridiculous and that's what frustrates me.

Dawg you're talking crazy. Use your fucking eyes. Patrick is clearly the most talented QB we've ever seen. Making five straight AFC championship games in your first five years as a starter is not a fluke, and he'll have two MVPs and a Owl MVP no matter what happens this weekend. 

1 hour ago, whatever... said:

Josh Allen wouldn't make it in the NFL of ten years ago. Mahomes would. 

While I think it's fair to say Allen may be overrated by many in the media - particularly after this year's performance - this seems to be be vastly overstating the differences between today's NFL and the NFL of ten years ago.

32 minutes ago, DMC said:

While I think it's fair to say Allen may be overrated by many in the media - particularly after this year's performance - this seems to be be vastly overstating the differences between today's NFL and the NFL of ten years ago.

I could see the argument that he may not have been allowed to suck for two years before he figured it out, but he was a top ten (I think) pick, so he was always going to get some leash to figure it out.  Zach Wilson has been godawful and he'd probably be getting one more year if the team hadn't turned on him due to his shit work ethic.

39 minutes ago, briantw said:

I could see the argument that he may not have been allowed to suck for two years before he figured it out, but he was a top ten (I think) pick, so he was always going to get some leash to figure it out. 

Yeah I think this is far more dependent on the team than whether the player was drafted a year ago or ten years ago (or thirty, for that matter).  Some teams are going to have more patience with their first-round quarterbacks than others.  That's always been the case.

So if I follow this thread correctly, Mahommes is a god/goat and Josh Allen is just a bum who wouldn't cut it 10 years ago? Isn't there historical evidence of really good/great players never making it to the SB because they happened to play at the same time as a football god/goat or even two goats (Mahommes and maybe now Burrow)? Just a thought. What Buffalo needs is an actual respected RB, trade up or do whatever to get Bijan Robinson and lets see how they do.

On Bienemy, something has to be off in the interviews or it's race issue, one or the other.  As far as him being some genius because his offense has been great, see above, he has a god/goat QB TE WR and Reid as the head coach.  Personally I also would prefer Flores over Bienemy. 

I'm just glad all this head coaching talk is focused on Bienemy rather than Ryans.  The latter is clearly the better candidate as a coordinator, but I hope y'all are right and Ryans decides to stay!

1 hour ago, DMC said:

I'm just glad all this head coaching talk is focused on Bienemy rather than Ryans.  The latter is clearly the better candidate as a coordinator, but I hope y'all are right and Ryans decides to stay!

Dallas fans were feeling the same way, Quinn needs to stay and Moore, ehh see ya later?

Well I think that Andy Reid went from sadly underrated to a little over-the-fuck rated because of Patrick Mahomes. 

So... That's why I wouldn't jump on the Beinemy train. I mean unless you believe in him. I've never met the dude. 

I'd want Flores, because as I said. 

Or Harbaugh because I know he's good. And, with enough LSD and time in an unmarked van, I'm about 12-13 percent sure that I can induce a 5 percent chance of Andrew Luck coming back to the game

I have no evidence for this claim

I have no lab and no equipment

But I think we should risk it

Archived