NFL Playoffs 2023

mcbigski

3 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

I feel for my buddy DJ the Chargers fan.  Texted him in the first half like, damn everything's going your way.

The one Chargers fan in existence…

Seahawks never had a chance.  Carroll gets some post-Russ vindication but the second half of the season was a poor effort after a hot start, and the front 7 of the defense looks physically weak.  Perhaps they’ll develop over time but does Carroll really have that long of a horizon remaining?

The Bears have draft capital at least, I guess.  And hard to begrudge Roquan Smith a chance to be a contender elsewhere.  He’s the only first round pick during my years in Chicago who I can remember living up to expectations, but that may be unfair to someone I have overlooked. 

2 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

Last night was according to PFT the fifth worst playoff collapse in history.  That's pretty bad.  I wonder if they will fire the couach?

I feel like you almost have to fire him after that.  Going to be a tough sell heading into 2023 with the exact same team after that shitshow. 

5 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

Last night was according to PFT the fifth worst playoff collapse in history.  That's pretty bad.  I wonder if they will fire the couach?

Considering his other options, I'd probably take the Chargers over the field in terms of where Sean Payton will be coaching next season.

Anyway, was looking at Purdy's numbers for yesterday's game.  ESPN gave him an 89.5 QBR.  This is after posting a 65.3 QBR in the regular season, which would have ranked five if he had qualified.  Similarly, PFF gave him a 73.6 grade for the game, his fifth game in a row with a grade over 70.  Clearly, the people that analyze tape to assign grades don't think just anyone could do what Purdy is doing

Despite a sloppy start, I think Purdy's added value was on full display.  First, I saw a lot of people complaining about him repeatedly bailing left and throwing it away at the end of the first half.  I thought that was great!  The Hawks' pass rush was eating up the Niners line at the time, and he managed to avoid either taking a sack or making a really ill-advised throw.  Garoppolo almost certainly would have done the latter.

Second, two of his touchdowns demonstrated how it's not just Shanahan - or really even the skill players - that accounts for his success.  He went through his progressions and danced around until he could find both Mitchell and CMC for passes I could have caught and scored on.  If Aiyuk hadn't dropped it, his last pass of the game in the back of the endzone would have further emphasized this point (albeit Purdy certainly should have just thrown it away and taken the field goal instead of risking injury by taking the hit at that point in the game).

Archived