NFL Playoffs 2023

mcbigski

3 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

Jones was throwing to a cast of literal practice players most of the year. Yes, his stats aren’t sexy at all but to downplay what him, Daboll and Giants have accomplished with this team just because they’re in the biggest of markets seems silly. 

Also, no chance Giants have a better D-line than 49ers. Despite having one of the top DT’s in Dexter they struggled mightily against the run all year.

As I just said, the Vikings' O-line isn't great and had several injuries. 

Regarding Jones, he is a very mediocre arm talent. The Vikings just gave him easy shit for three quarters while also not guarding against the run. They woke up in the 4th and shut a lot of it down, but too little, too late, and our defense was not good all season. The Eagles will not be so easy next week. 

56 minutes ago, Mexal said:

I don't know. They're littered with talent. They've been drafting in the top 10 the last 14 years basically. That hasn't always translated obviously but there is talent on that team.

That being said, Pederson is a good coach. But if Taylor couldn't get any votes last year with a Super Bowl run after going 6-24 the 2 years before, not sure why Pederson should get it this year with a 9-8 team. 

They are really good on the defensive front 7 but take a look at their skill positions outside of QB: Christian Kirk, Zay Jones, Marvin Jones Jr? Those are #2 and #3 receivers. Evan Engram at TE? I'll grant Travis Etienne is pretty good. 

They have drafted well recently, getting Trevor Lawrence and Josh Allen. The jury is still out on Travon Waler, though. They could have drafted Sauce Gardner and Aiden Hutchinson at that #1 pick. But outside of Lawrence, Walker and Allen, none of their first round picks in recent years have stuck.

2020: CJ Henderson now w/ Carolina                                                                                                                                                  2018: Tavon Bryan now w/ Cleveland                                                                                                                                                  2017: Leonard Fournette now w/ Tampa                                                                                                                                              2016: Jalen Ramsey now w/ LA Rams

It actually gets way worse after that with names like Blake Bortles, Luke Joeckel, Justin Blackmon, and Blaine Gabbert. Their best 1st round pick in those years was Dante Fowler!                                                                                                                                                 

3 hours ago, Mexal said:

No one wants Zac Taylor to be COTY but man, what he's done with the Bengals is special.

Yeah, he’s now beaten Andy Reid, John Harbaugh, and Mike Vrabel (who was COTY) in the playoffs. The debate is over as far as I’m concerned. Dude is a good coach. 

2 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Yeah, he’s now beaten Andy Reid, John Harbaugh, and Mike Vrabel (who was COTY) in the playoffs. The debate is over as far as I’m concerned. Dude is a good coach. 

With a back up QB that required a freak gasoline fight accident. :P

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

With a back up QB that required a freak gasoline fight accident. :P

Huntley is one of the better backups around the league, and that Ravens defense is nasty (especially after adding Roquan Smith), but sure, let’s talk about style points like it’s college or something… :rolleyes:

Taylor is now 4-1 in the playoffs. And this is with a franchise that had won 5 total in the 50+ years before him. 

And no, it’s not just Burrow. Ask Chargers fans if having a fantastic young QB is enough. 

8 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Huntley is one of the better backups around the league, and that Ravens defense is nasty (especially after adding Roquan Smith), but sure, let’s talk about style points like it’s college or something:rolleyes:

I actually do agree with this. A win is a win in the playoffs. It was the way you phrased it that was a bit :rolleyes:

Taylor is now 4-1 in the playoffs. And this is with a franchise that had won 5 total in the 50+ years before him. 

And no, it’s not just Burrow. Ask Chargers fans if having a fantastic young QB is enough. 

So is your framing of his coaching based off what he's actually doing, or compared to the dumpster fire that existed for so long? Because honestly I don't see him as being any better than McCarthy who very well might win tonight and I'm comfortable saying the latter is not a coach I'd want my team to hire.

If you want to take something away from this weekend, call Burrow a top 3 QB with a smile because you know you're right. Not sure this needs to be a fight about the coach.

Brett Maher is going to gave me a heart attack. Fucker can kick a 60 yard FG no problem but he misses extra points. This is the reason why they got rid of him the first time. They might have to just start going for 2.

18 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

So is your framing of his coaching based off what he's actually doing, or compared to the dumpster fire that existed for so long?

Both. Context is always important. Taylor got the Bengals ownership/front office to completely change the way they operate. They literally never spent in free agency before he got there. And that’s been a major reason for the turnaround (yes - along with Burrow). 

17 minutes ago, Trebla said:

Brett Maher is going to gave me a heart attack. Fucker can kick a 60 yard FG no problem but he misses extra points. This is the reason why they got rid of him the first time. They might have to just start going for 2.

3rd miss in as many tries… :shocked:

6 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Both. Context is always important. Taylor got the Bengals ownership/front office to completely change the way they operate. They literally never spent in free agency before he got there. And that’s been a major reason for the turnaround (yes - along with Burrow). 

I understand. The Vikings for my whole life have been generally above average, but the Timberwolves, woof, so I get it. And look, a coach doesn't have to be a master of x's and o's to be successful, my point has been I just don't see the Bengals scheme wise that does a lot to impress me. But they'll fight you for 60 minutes or more in hell and if you want to give that to Taylor, by all means.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

I actually do agree with this. A win is a win in the playoffs. It was the way you phrased it that was a bit :rolleyes:

So is your framing of his coaching based off what he's actually doing, or compared to the dumpster fire that existed for so long? Because honestly I don't see him as being any better than McCarthy who very well might win tonight and I'm comfortable saying the latter is not a coach I'd want my team to hire.

If you want to take something away from this weekend, call Burrow a top 3 QB with a smile because you know you're right. Not sure this needs to be a fight about the coach.

I'm still waiting for you to explain why you think this. 

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

Huntley is one of the better backups around the league, and that Ravens defense is nasty (especially after adding Roquan Smith), but sure, let’s talk about style points like it’s college or something… :rolleyes:

Along with their super nasty defense, Ravens have a great running game that eats up clock (7 total offensive drives in that game... by comparison, Bills had 8 in the first half) and they're a division team, which we have now played 3 times this year, including last week with our starters. No shit they were going to be up for the game and play us tough. Thought Huntley played exactly how the Ravens wanted to play and put them in position to steal one. That to me isn't Taylor's fault, just great coaching from Harbaugh up until the clock management shit.

Oh and one more thing, Lamar played Bengals this year and scored 19 pts. He scored 17 pts last year. I'm not entirely sure he would have been the savior Ravens fans hoped for. Thought Huntley was really good.

Archived