Is this the worst name in the series?

Tyrosh Lannister

11 hours ago, Evolett said:

Oh, I think GRRM's use of Kayakayanaya is quite deliberate, especially in its context as the name of a town that is home to fierce warrior women who live in a society that empowers the female while restricting and controlling male dominance. 

I'm familiar with the term Kayakaya. Where I come from, it refers to young girls who serve as load carriers in the traditional markets of cities. These Kayakaya girls are almost always victims of rural-urban migration. Many leave their rural homes hoping to improve their lives.  They generally come from poor backgrounds, are uneducated and have no skills useful to city life. Once in the city, they are faced with the harsh reality of unemployment, no family support and are often exploited and subject to abuse, also sexual abuse. Most take up the menial task of carrying loads to eke out a living. This is no new phenomenon. Kayakaya girls have been known by that name for as long as I can remember.  In fact, though "kayakaya" specifically refers to girls, it is also used as a derogatory term for persons of percieved low status. 

In my view, by naming that town of the Patrimony of Hrykoon Kayakayanaya, the author is hinting that the warrior women of that state have overcome a previous downtrodden, oppressed "Kayakaya" status
(Kayakaya - nay (nay as in no)). 

Here's an article on Kayakaya Girls.

Interesting! Thank you!

2 hours ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

Speaking of which, it almost seems like Anguy was a placeholder name that GRRM forgot to change and then just went with it.

Maybe it started out as "A guy was as an archer". "A guy won the tournament". Then one day when he was trying to think of a name he accidentally typed "An guy joined the Brotherhood Without Banners" and thought Anguy is good enough.

3 hours ago, Groo said:

Maybe it started out as "A guy was as an archer". "A guy won the tournament". Then one day when he was trying to think of a name he accidentally typed "An guy joined the Brotherhood Without Banners" and thought Anguy is good enough.

English isn't my first language, so I initially pronounced it as "ang-you" and didn't perceive it as comical until others pointed it out. Maybe it wasn't intentional on GRRM's part, but once you notice it, there's no going back. 

Archived